MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 28 November 2016, 17:37
freddorapid
Just call me: Travis

Nottingham
United Kingdom
double sided cnc

Hello,

Me and a group of guys are trying to make a multi axis double sided cnc machine that is capable of double sided friction stir welding and incremental sheet forming.
It is more of a proof of concept rather than it has to work fully as we understand that this is highly unlikely considering our current experience. Some of the requirements include high radial and axial forces.
We would like to get some information regarding:

Whether a raspberry pi with I/C expanders would be enough to control the synchronization of the two tools?
How would we go about the programming when two tools need to be synchronized?
Any ideas on possible structures, we have considered using steel frames and strong dovetails.
How we can tailor the machine design to deal with the huge axial and radial forces it would have to withstand?

Any kind of reply is much appreciated, even if you don't know the answer, anyone with any kind of cnc machine design experience, your help, experience and expertise would be much appreciated.
Old Tue 29 November 2016, 09:03
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Travis, this forum is narrowly focused on building and supporting the MechMate design.

Generally the first question we ask here is "Are you building a MechMate?" ... it it seems the answer to that is unlikely to be yes.

You may have better luck asking over at cnczone. Seems like an ambitious project. I would suggest that you investigate similar existing designs to find a mechanical structure that works.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read