MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Mon 02 March 2009, 11:37
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hennie I played with Mach3 this afternoon and used the GOTO Z button for the first time. If you machine is on 0,0,0 and you stop the program in the middle of the cut or you jog the machine to another point on the table and you hit this GOTO Z button ( I think it is called ) Mach3 will take it back to you 0,0,0 where you started originally from. It will not work if you lost steps by running into a clamp or pushing the machine too hard, but under normal operating it works like a charm.
Old Mon 02 March 2009, 12:02
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Speaking of loosing steps. I find with my machine being big (and heavy) it seems to be more prone to this loosing steps story. Has anyone played with higher current settings on the Geko drives?

This discussion taken to the Troubleshooting thread:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Marius, sorry but on losing steps I am afraid that I cannot help as I have only once experienced it in the beginning. After setting up all the speeds etc, I have not noticed it again.

This afternoon I decided to cut a decorative piece that I wanted to do for a long time. I put a piece of hardwood (Saligna) on the machine and flatten it with a 20 mm cutter...Could have done it on the thickneser, but it's more fun on old BBB.

Then fitted my 3mm ballnose and 25 minutes later finished the 'CARVING'. I then ran it agains a brass wire brush to get some of the soft wood out. This give the piece more DEPTH. Some dark brown shoe polish, then some black shoe polish and I am very happy with the result. Size is 400 mm x 100 mm.

1st Carving.JPG
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 11:09
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Maar ons speel lekker!

This morning I was cutting slots for my louvres and as noticed on my thread the length of the wood runs in a x direction and the slots at an angle of 45 deg.
Noticed that it doesn`t cut nice holes because of the angle it is as it is cutting stepping the cutter step up step forward and so on.Although the cad drawing shows a perfect slot I just coudn`t get it perfect.
What to do next? turn the whole project at an angle and cut the slot as if it runs along the x axis and not at an angle.Results perfect holes for my louvres ,it did take me an hour or so to get the angle and the0,0 point.( will post picks later )
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 11:41
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Now thats the kind of stuff a router should be doing. Very nice man.
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 11:50
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Hennie,
That is why I fitted reduction from the start. The more you reduce the better the resolution. In essence all routers using stepper motors does exactly that. The better the resolution the less you notice it though. That is why some guys argue that syncro's and servo's are better as they dont have the step issue.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 06:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Marius, Hennie has since discovered that his pinion gear's grubscrews were loose. His angled cuts are free of steps now.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 06:51
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusL View Post
Hennie,
That is why some guys argue that syncro's and servo's are better as they dont have the step issue.
the servo's still have the encoder issues
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 08:49
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
The teething problems seem to be the same for all of us. It happened to me as well
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
The BOSS requested another thing to be made. A little box with place for 3 little glass jars for flowers.

3Blom Kassie.JPG

I also made another decorative piece...about 500mm x 500mm. Tried the 2 step approach with CUT2D, but it did not work this time.

Greek Thing.JPG
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:25
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
I too, had those slight cut problems with regard to the grub screws.
To resolve my issues:
- I took a flat file and made a second flat spot on the OM motor shaft
- used set screws with flat bottom for better contact
- second screw backing up the first screw
- locktite

This problem is not something that is rare only to CNC world, I have this issue with many drive train couplers and often will put multiple flats on the shaft. As I recall, JR & Marc machined a couple of nice flats on the gear reducer shaft assemblies.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The un-geared OM motors have 2 flats 90 degrees apart - I was surprised to learn that the higher torque geared motors only have 1 flat. We also add a second flat to those shafts.....with a freehand angle grinder!
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, are you on leave, getting all these nice projects done?
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Forced leave...the system automatically book you....had 3 day's left over from last years leave, but tomorrow I will be back at work...missing old BBB
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 06:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
At last we finished the 2nd bike restoration for my eldest son Francois. Now father and son each have it's own 1982 Suzuki GS 1000 G shaft driven motorbike.

This is what it looked like...:
GS1000G Purchased.jpg

After about 5 months of work:
GS1000G Klaar1.JPG

My son Francois did most of the assembly...also putting the motor together I left him to do it by himself....just checked in occasionally to see if he is coping...and he did well...

GS1000G Francois.JPG
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 07:09
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Good looking bikes, nice job Francois and Kobus, I like the paint. Enjoy riding together.

My son Richard and I rode our bikes about 300 miles yesterday, it's nice to ride ..... father and son.

Last edited by J.R. Hatcher; Sun 08 March 2009 at 07:22..
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 09:17
Tom van Brits
Just call me: Tom

Brits
South Africa
Hi Kobus

Nice bikes, neat job, keep save and enjoy!!
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 11:22
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Marius look at my thread.one small little thing.
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 22:32
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Welcome Tom ...does this mean we will see a MechMate in Brits next year ?

Just for the record, Tom is a friend that I met when I spend a year on Marion Island in the Southern Ocean. He is currently the Team Leader and Medic on another South African Weather station in the Atlantic Ocean. Look at http://www.sanap.ac.za/ and go to GOUGH ISLAND for info on this Island.
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 01:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well I got back safetly from Beaufort West delivering one of the 2 Emergency Mobile Trailer Units (EMTU) that I was responsible for as project manager. We delivered it to the Cape Town department there that took it down to Cape Town...sorry Gerald, next time I will take it all the way and come for another visit..

EMTU Morning.JPG

This weekend my sisters son...the one that sponsored my main beams visited to use my lathe and thickneser. He is renovating his house and wanted to make a little table for the bathroom. After spending time on the lathe he decided on plan D,E F ...etc....that after I told him that I will gladly cut his parts on old BBB.

He went home to take some measurenents. About 2 hours later he was back and we started to cut. As I showed him my homemade Router table for rounding pieces he included it into his drawings.

The results were amazing...as he is a person that draws structures every day, he included tabs to get everything lined up correctly. Must say old BBB did not dissapoint us and the pieces fitted so well on a dry fit that we had to use a hammer to take it apart....

I did notice some shudder on the big ARC....very easy to remove with some light sanding... but I will now think on adding that 3:1 gearing.

Parts Sheet1.JPG

Router Table.JPG

Wastafel.JPG
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 02:53
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
That looks great man. Dont you just enjoy it when a job comes of and it looks that great? How thick is the mdf and how many passes did you cut?
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 04:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
16 mm MDF and with my 6.36mm cutter I did it in 2mm / pass....It took a while, but came out very good. The best is that he designed it, supplied the material...I only had to worry about cutting it.....so far my biggest job.

How is that beast in Midrand doing ?
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 05:34
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
We call it the monster machine. It has impacted our production so much that even the folk working on the line has great respect for it. Something of a holy nature to them. We are doing our first big 3D mould in the week comming. probably about 36 hours of continues cutting.
I had to put the Pc and the driver electronics on a UPS and so solved all the noise interference problems. She runs solid now.
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 07:05
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Thanks for sharing Kobus and Marius. It's great to see real work (including pictures) coming off COMPLETED MechMates.

Regards,
John
Old Sun 15 March 2009, 11:41
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
You can one of these day`s stop working for a boss and do your own thing!
"Dit lyk Moerse goed"
Old Sun 22 March 2009, 01:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Update on that bathroom washing table. Riaan added some stain and fitted it this weekend. Sorry for the poor quality, but he was very exited on the final result and send me a MMS via his cellphone.

Image001.jpg

In the meantime I had some HONEY-TO-DO things. As our winter is approaching I had to move the fireplace to another room. Did some tiling with slate tiles, builded a sturdy metal frame and cladded it with MDF.

Kaggel1.JPG

Come on Winter..and red wine and...
Old Sun 22 March 2009, 20:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
How cold does your Winter get there? I did not even think you guys would need heating of any kind for your houses.
Old Sun 22 March 2009, 21:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Johannesburg's altitude is about 5500 ft.
Old Sun 22 March 2009, 22:30
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Places on the coast might not need it, but up here in Johannesburg we are already feeling the change. We go down to freezing some nights / early morning and then the day temp. could reach 17 plus deg C. Some big changes during a day. Furthermore our houses are not build with energy saving in mind. All the windows are single pane, no insulation on the walls and most of the time nothing in the roof. So the little heat we build up during the day is quickly gone by dusk.
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 06:26
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
That is a big shift in temp. I think I would want some insulation in the walls and roof to help moderate the temps better. Is that the norm for houses in your area?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts