MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 13 February 2013, 10:15
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
110 volt stepper driver...no need for PS?

Does anyone have any thoughts on using this as a driver;
KL-11080 http://www.kelinginc.net/KLDriver.html
It looks as though you feed it with 110/120v, so a PS would not be needed?
They do suggest using an isolation transformer.
I think that is used for "noise" control, if so...could you set if up and see if noise was an issue? Also, if an isolation transformer is needed, do you have an idea on how to size one? Many are listed as 110 input/output but have a max VA listed at 250 or less? Also since 4 units are needed (to run 4 motors) do you need 4 isolation transformers or just 1?
Thanks
Mark
Old Wed 13 February 2013, 14:57
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mark,
I dont know of anyone using that drive. There is not enough info there on the site to make a good judgement on it in my opinion. For the cost they want for it I would be more inclined to purchase a Gecko drive. They have been used on a lot of builds and their service is next to none if you live in North America.
Old Wed 13 February 2013, 16:40
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
From the pdf http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-11080.pdf it states it connect direct to AC current so it must have a rectifier inside, but it would be ok for some really large nema42 motors or 34 with high inductance so you can use that high voltage.

Isolation transformer is a safety device as stated here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_transformer
used for galvanic isolation, ground loop interference etc.
Old Sun 17 February 2013, 13:06
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Thanks for the replies Heath and Danilo
There are so many choices, and as I keep reading and learning...I always am curious about newer products and technology that simply wasn't available (or much more expensive) even a few years ago (when many of these threads were written).
I think I am getting closer to what is a "good" choice on the parts for my kitchen project.
I truly always appreciate it when anyone takes a moment to comment and add their 2 cents and years of experience!
Thanks
Mark
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 23:39
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Mark

As you mentioned "new" technology Google "DSP Stepper Driver" and work outwards from there.

Regards
Ross

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read