MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 29 September 2010, 05:05
JonnyRizla
Just call me: Jonny

Cape Town
South Africa
Planning my MechMate for build in Cape Town

Hi guys, I am busy planning a build - but will only be able to physically start at the end of October. I have printed out the plans, and am busy studying them to fully grasp what I have taken on!! I love the helpful nature I have seen throughout this forum, so I am quietly confident that (with a lot of help) I will manage to complete this task, despite no real experience working with metal!
I am in the lighting industry, and hope to offer something new with the help of my MM.
Between now and the end of October I would like to start ordering as much as I can, so that I have something ready for me by the time I am available... I just don't really know where to start.
what I am thinking is:
Gantry, then table, then electronics - but I have noticed a number of people start with the table.
Are the cut and bent parts available as a kit from a local supplier (Cape Town)?
Anyway, I'm extremely excited about starting to build something I would always have thought to be way out of my depth, before stumbling over this forum!
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 06:41
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Welcome. If you are in a hurry or afraid to do it yourself, contact Sean in Cape Town that has a MechMate for sale right now.
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 07:05
JonnyRizla
Just call me: Jonny

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks Kobus. I did see that it was for sale and was seriously considering that option, but I'm too excited about personally building the MechMate to make the more sensible(from a business perspective) choice!
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 07:08
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
In that case speak to AlanC or Hennie to find out where they cut the laser parts in CPT. I can help you with stepper drivers and steppers from up here. Best of luck.
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 07:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Johnny!
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 10:00
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Welcome Jonny.

The laser cutting can be done by Schuurman Laser Cut or Vulcan Steel.

Electronic goodies from AC/DC in Paarden Eiland or Communica in Woodstock.

Motors and drives from Kobus or Greg at CNC Direct in Jhb.

Cables from Lapp in Jhb (have to buy in multiples of 10m and pay extra for postage to CT, their branch here does not hold stock??????).
Old Wed 29 September 2010, 10:27
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Welcome Jonny. Rack and pinion from Nusaf in Jhb.Say ta-ta to early bed time stories as once you start you just want to get it running and another year for doing the learning curve once it is done. Good Luck with your built.

Kobus got a quote on Monday to bring in one quad for my first kart to use for my build.Bike $340 and shipping to my hometown $1200 for a 2 sq meter crate. Waiting for a quote for a full container from China packed with bamboo sheets.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts