MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 29 August 2013, 02:58
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, I haven't bailed on you, wish I could say its all done, but I'm on another honey-do list and finishing up a 'paying job'. I am gathering the last of the small stuff needed (like the grub screws for the pinions). I haven't decided who's belt reduction plates I want to copy (already have the belts and pulleys 3.6:1, bearings & shafts) or if I'm just going for a spindle at the start. However I should be able to get back on this in about 2-3 weeks. Believe me I want to see some progress too! Thanks for asking.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 14:46
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
A 3.6:1 or 4:1 will render plenty of resolution. Mine are high only because I was re-using the same steppers from the gearbox. I wanted to stay within the design capacity of the original. My Z is a 4:1.

I hear you on the other projects. I was back to cabinets, then tore off to do a relative's fence, then a chimney repair. Now I have to build a shed before winter.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 15:00
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
3.6 is the sweet spot. The perfect compromise between fast table jog and surface speeds and resolution.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 17:12
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete I thought if I went with the 4:1 that the small pulley would be too small to have enough meat to hold the grubs. I have to ream the small pulleys to 14mm to fit the steppers so I went with the 20t. Like Sean said, I too think its the 'sweet spot'. Any suggestions for who has a good plate to copy or 'simulate'? I either want to be able to make them myself from aluminum or just have a local laser guy cut them from steel, but I don't want to make anything that requires additional machine work to make it work.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 19:01
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Ross's (SurfCNC) drives are pretty cool, he had his laser cut. Can't remember what ratio he used, I think it was 4:1.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 20:49
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Bruce, I have seen his but can not seem to get them to print or even accept dim lines to verify sizes. But they look cool.
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 21:53
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Illegal in Florida

Thomas saw your video on flickr. Did you take the pic of the iced trees. That is a perfect shot. I would copy it and hang it but I think it is illegal in Florida. I have been out cutting, drilling and tapping steel. I want to get most of the base done before it starts raining again (fat chance). My gear rack showed up along with the vrail. I will spent tomorrow mounting it. later
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 03:33
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Mike, you're not letting any grass grow under your feet are you? Yep, the picture is a good one, we've got a place in Cape Coral, Florida, and I would say its probably illegal to have ice anywhere there. Have fun.
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 04:41
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom, since you say that you were worried about the small pulley being too small, you may have to make your own design. Even with laser cutting there usually is some machining required but not always. There are some really reasonable laser cut services out there. The lowest quote I had on my plates for my 7.2:1 drive plates which where roughly 10"x20" was $8 per piece for 0.187" pio steel. If you love machining and shiny surfaces then use aluminum. I used all xl pulleys and belts. Maybe others will chime in about what they used. My small pulleys on all of my belt reductions are 18 tpi.
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 04:56
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, the cost is not the issue, I guess I just didn't want to spend any additional time trying to reinventing the wheel. I could go direct drive and cut parts until I found one that suits me, but then I'd have to order more spur gears and more machining. What size spur gear do you run and what would you recommend for the 3.6:1? I thought that maybe I'd have to drive direct at first so I purchased 24T. What's you thoughts?
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 15:11
pblackburn

United States of America
30 tooth 20° PA. I would just do the belt drive if the money and time is not the issue. The reinventing part is not so true. Every design has strengths and weaknesses. Plus you have to give some to the materials you have available to use. Your machine build may require a minimal space or different angle to mount the reduction assembly. Anything can be improved.
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 16:04
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well Pete you may be right about the wheel. Maybe I'll just play with it awhile and see what I've come up with. Perhaps I'll pickup some aluminum plate. I've already gotten all parts for the drives except the plates. So you recommend 30t spurs, is that common among the MM community? Is the 24t OK to use for now or not? What do some of you other guys have?
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 16:22
pblackburn

United States of America
From what I read originally the 30 tooth was common. Others may chime in.
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 19:15
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well looks like I need to order some. It had been a while since I read anything on spurs and must have not researched it much, last I remember was someone recommending 25 and 30's and keeping 28's as spares, oh well. Thanks Pete.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 03:24
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
I used a 30 tooth spur gear and it works great!
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 06:10
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Chris, I ordered a set of thirties last week and should be here this week. Are you loving your machine yet?
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 07:49
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I ordered a cheapo 2.2 kw water cooled spindle and vfd yesterday, thought I'd give it a try. I opted for this path because it would cost near enough to put fresh bearings in the PC and new mount plus I'd still have crap and crap power, just crap. Question, is a shielded 3 core 2.5 mm2 cable what I need for power to this thing? And should I attempt to fabricate a mount for this thing or does it require a fair amount of accuracy?
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 07:51
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Oh yeah, I am. It's pretty surreal owning a such a huge and useful piece of robotic equipment. I'm still getting past the phase of it actually being finished.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 07:55
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Tom, welcome to the spindle club. They are awesome little things. If you are willing to splash out on a bulletproof mount for it try this one from cncrouterparts. http://www.cncrouterparts.com/80-mm-...unt-p-102.html Without the mounting plate (primarily for ali extrusion) it runs at USD$78. I'll be swapping my K2CNC style spindle mount for one of these for my machine.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 07:58
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
1.5mm square screened cable from the VFD to Spindle will do most likely. I used 2.5mm sq from the mains to the VFD. The Spindle is 3 phase out of the VFD. I would make sure the mount is very accurate or you could risk damaging the spindle.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 08:00
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Chris that's funny. Do you still feel like you need to build something? -Chris I used to know a cook from Auckland, he came to the states and worked in the restaurant I worked, David Sherwood was his name. Excellent cook, said he cooked for the Queen or something, really big beer drinker, he drank 50 imported beers in 12 hour period the day before he was going home, that was 24+ years ago.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 08:03
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I guess I need to build a small control box for it too...
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 08:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Bruce, apparently the mount is now $95, holy #*&%!
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 11:55
pblackburn

United States of America
Running VFD cable similar to this will save headaches. You would be amazed at what all a VFD will do to cause problems.

I end up with Zero Phase reactors and Ferrite cores as well. You will find with the 2.2kW spindles that they are not insulated very well and if you test it without be mounted to anything steel you can pick up voltage readings on the casing. This is similar to a break in a rc circuit where the voltage can be read but there is minimal to no current flow.

A spindle is the way to go. They run much better and the only maintenance is to change the high speed precision bearings when they start to fail which should not be any time soon. When I was facing side the 1.500" side white oak boards and removing 0.100" per run I only reached 2.7A draw. My old PC7518 would have been hot and miserable but a spindle will just keep on running.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 12:03
pblackburn

United States of America
The amount of material I have in my mount would cost now about $100.00. I used a 2 clamp mount design. I have access to machine tools so building one was an better so I could design it the way I wanted it. This may not be the case for you.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 12:04
pblackburn

United States of America
Mounting your VFD in a separate enclosure is always a good idea.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 12:37
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete were do I find these ferrite cores and zero phase reactors, more pointedly, what exactly am I looking for in a zero phase reactor (blonde hair, blue eyes, 36-24-36,what)? I guess if I knew what to look for I could find them Found them

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Sat 07 September 2013 at 12:52..
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 12:58
pblackburn

United States of America
I got mine from automation direct
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 12:59
pblackburn

United States of America
More specifically here
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 13:11
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Is this one OK? http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...actors/LR-23P0

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read