MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 30. Y-Car
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 30 August 2010, 01:23
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Setting up to weld square

I've read these threads and have a question about getting the vertical faces perpendicular to the base.
Will using magnetic braces be accurate enough (pic below) if the base is clamped to a flat base or is a firmer hold needed on the vertical faces to prevent distortion when the welds cool?

You can see the magnets in question (the BIG x-beams are underneath)

PS I've clipped the ends of the car in place. The "slots" cut in the end plates are diagonally opposite, rather than directly opposite - is this correct? I haven't seen any pictures where I can confirm for sure and the plans are silent on this (or my reading of the plans is!)

Last edited by Red_boards; Mon 30 August 2010 at 01:27.. Reason: edit in PS
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 03:12
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Red

Diagonally opposite.

To set the car straight Myself and AusMaddog and Skippy used threaded rod to set everything straight in the middle of the car.

Regards
Ross

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read