MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 31 January 2008, 10:35
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
J.R.

What part of "banned" don't you understand? If you post another picture of a painted part with a mirror-like reflection and chrome plated bolt heads, I'm coming after you. What kind of guy polishes and waxes the bottom of his gantry tubes?
Old Thu 31 January 2008, 15:50
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
You guys are funny. I am just imagining you guys waxing your mechmates with baby diapers like people do with high end sports cars every Saturday morning. Don't you know that these routers are designed to make dust and a mess!? lol
Old Thu 31 January 2008, 20:22
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Sean I cut some 3" channel in half then added a piece to create the T then welded it to the 5/8 X5/8. I'll take a better picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
JR,
It would appear that your fabricated a replacement "hard machine stop" to mount the x axis switch on. Did you cut that from a section of Tee or add-on to an existing piece of angle iron?
Nice work - I will be interested to see how the homing sequence works with using only 1 input.
***Anxiously awaiting results for the North Carolina institute of advanced machine technology and specialty fabrication!
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 11:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
JR, the N.C.I.A.M.T.S.F is intriguing - please tell?

North Carolina Institute of Auspicious MechMate Technicians - Senior Fraternity?
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 12:04
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Look at post 210.

Last edited by J.R. Hatcher; Sun 29 June 2008 at 05:19..
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 13:47
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Homing/limit switches all working on 1 pair of wires. Sean it's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together, they work per-fect. Just click "ref all" and Z will 0, then Y will 0, then X will 0. I wil post a video later.
Doug setup soft-limits they are unreal. You can head toward the end of the travel going 90 MPH with your eyes closed and like magic when it gets within +- 10" of 0 it ramps down to a controlled stop.
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 14:57
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
JR, can't wait for the video. Can we expect it by tomorrow I'm assuming you are using mach3, soft limits in there work like a charm, it's all I use on one of my smaller DIY routers. Also, how are you getting speeds of 90MPH out of your steppers? Does your machine launch into outer space when you get up to that IPM?
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 18:33
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Also, how are you getting speeds of 90MPH out of your steppers?
Yeah its got a HEMI
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR.
I tried like Heck to find that exact limit logic in the Mach3 support documentation now for months.
Thanks for being the guinea pig! If I wasn't so deep into a new child at home and traveling, I would be done by now Great work JR.
I can't wait for your Sundance festival video short story entry.
- Sean

Okay,
I just found the information in my printed copy of Mach3 Mill documentation, Page 11:

Home switches.

As you probably have noticed Mach3 is very flexible in its use of inputs and outputs. It is
possible to combine home and limit switches in many different ways but in this section of the
tutorial we will go thru how to set up one home switch for each axis, wired in series. As usual
we will not discuss the hardware and actual interface but it is assumed that the home switches
are
normally closed, wired in series between ground and pin 10 on the parallel port.

To set up the home switches we need to enable the home inputs. In the Config menu select
Ports and Pins and go to the Input Signals tab. Enable the inputs X Home, Y Home and Z
Home and set the port # to 1 and pin # to 10 and check the Active Low setting on all three.

Here you can see the power of Mach3’s I/O capabilities. Even though we have three axis we
wire them in series and connect them to one input. When Mach3 homes the machine it will do
it one axis at the time and when the switch is hit it reverses the direction of the motor until the
switched is cleared and then it does the next axis.
It is even possible to use same switch as
limit switch – Mach3 will know that the switch is a home switch when homing and from there
on it’s considered to be a limit switch.

Last edited by smreish; Fri 01 February 2008 at 19:22..
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:22
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Sean the switches are wired in series. Mach knows by the axis moving what home switch to set and it doesn't matter about the limit override, it stops everything.

Brian I'll do my best.
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:24
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
....lol, your quick and got back to me before I finished my edit!
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:27
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
J.R.

I finally have a warm weekend here to work on my machine so I hope to get the Y axis square with the X axis.

I'm waiting on you to fabricate your dust collection foot so please get busy on that next. I want to work on mine soon but I'm not posting any pictures until after you have.
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:29
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Sean is that or what!!

Last edited by J.R. Hatcher; Fri 01 February 2008 at 19:34..
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:33
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Doug, master designer Marc Shlaes and I worked on the design a few months ago and will finish it next week.
Old Fri 01 February 2008, 19:48
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I am constantly amazed at what I find that Mach3 can do for such a small price I paid for it. Software like this from Mitsubishi, Koyo, Baldor or others would be thousands of dollars.
Sometimes its good to be lucky!
...and yes, that is way COOL JR.
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 01:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey, I got to the bottom of the last page of posts and forgot to check "next page". Now I see 10 more posts. . . . . .

You know what?.......I sense payback time is just around the corner. I could be collecting on that debt you guys are saying that you owe me ........

I will be nagging you to teach me about Mach3 - what works, what doesn't work. I havn't actually driven one of these beasts to the limits of Mach3 and I'll be watching with keen interest. Maybe even nagging for some of your setup files

Carry on chaps, I'll sit at the end of the bar....
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 04:40
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
"Carry on chaps, I'll sit at the end of the bar...."
left end or right ........... we'll slide you a beer.
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 05:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
X = 0.0
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 06:36
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
J.R.,

Are you and Marc planning on using 6" duct work or 4" in your DC system?
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 07:49
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
My existing dust system is 4", so I'll need to stay with that. The 13" planer puts out 10 times more chips than the router, so 4" on the router should be fine.
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 09:23
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Still anxiously awaiting the video
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 13:54
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
J.R.

Are you using one or two limits for the gantry (i.e. at each x motor)?

I planning on using two so that the machine is auto squaring every time one zeros but that requires two inputs to the BOB. (one common for Z, Y and X1 and the second for X2)
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 16:04
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Alan I used 1 limit switch on the gantry. I'm running both steppers with 2 geckos 1 bob signal.
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 16:31
Greolt
Just call me: Greg

Victoria
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
J.R.

.................... but that requires two inputs to the BOB.
I don't believe that is correct. Two inputs would be desirable but not necessary.

When homing a dual drive axis Mach does one side followed by the other.

So just as X, Y and Z can share an input so can X slave. (I believe)

They can be made to home simultaneously with a custom script but sequentially is the Mach default.

I realise if you have not seen this happen it probably sounds far fetched. Why would a slaved axis home sequentially?

But when you've seen a slaved axis home you'll say "Oh I see what you mean"

Greg
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 18:15
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Greg, my slave drive does not know it is a slave. Drivers for X1 and X2 share the step and direction signal from the BOB.
With the switches all wired in 1 series loop Mach can only detect that some switch has tripped. If I was homing X and manually tripped the Z switch with my hand the machine would accept that as the X switch and zero the X dro.
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 21:21
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Just some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-019S.JPG (37.2 KB, 2628 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-021S.JPG (37.0 KB, 2634 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-024S.JPG (30.2 KB, 2635 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-023S.JPG (34.5 KB, 2645 views)
Old Sat 02 February 2008, 22:09
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
JR

If you don't mind could you tell me the name/part no. of that switch and the name of the supplier. I am no where near ready for it, but, I will add it to my database so I'll have it when needed.
Thanks, Paul
PS: Keep posting pics. I love it when I log on and there are pictures to see.
Old Sun 03 February 2008, 02:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A subsequent discussion on using limit switches to autosquare a gantry was moved here....
Old Mon 04 February 2008, 12:49
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Paul I got them on e-bay, where else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427mnsi View Post
JR If you don't mind could you tell me the name/part no. of that switch and the name of the supplier. I am no where near ready for it, but, I will add it to my database so I'll have it when needed.
Thanks, Paul
PS: Keep posting pics. I love it when I log on and there are pictures to see.
Old Sun 17 February 2008, 14:56
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
I just had the pleasure and priviledge of spending the last 10 days in J.R.'s shop where we learned to use his machine together. I also met Gene. What a wonderful community this MM group is.

For this adventure, I handled mostly the CAD and the CAM and J.R. handled Mach.

This was the first time I ever saw a CNC machine (of any kind) in action and it was extremely cool!

Gerald, consider this an electronic handshake / high five / pat on the back!

Together, J.R. and I engineered a dust collector setup that works beautifully. We also cut a combination vacuum plenum and spoilboard. I took some pictures and will post them as soon as I prepare them.

Doug / Sean (and others), I believe that our dust collector is very clean looking and probably easier to fabricate than with sheetmetal. We fashioned it out of .75in (19mm) expanded PVC and some 4in (100mm) PVC drain tube. The dust containment fingers around the bottom were fashioned from some heavy clear vinyl. I can post the dxf's and the Sheetcam jobs for the plenum and the dust foot if you are interested.

J.R.,

Thanks tons for that legendary southern hospitality. I learned a ton!

Marc

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read