MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 27 July 2009, 18:18
jude
Just call me: Jude #48

sydney
Australia
My mechmate is not totally idle #48 - Sydney, Aus

I've been looking at this forum and at other CNC (mainly desktop) routers for a while. I am now totally sold on the Mech Mate. I intend to build a 8' x 4' version. At the moment I am finishing off a prototype of a hovercraft that I designed. I have attached some photos for your interest. The Mech Mate would have been quite handy in building it, but I have other inventions that I hope to bring to life using the Mech Mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cad1.jpg (34.3 KB, 1816 views)
File Type: jpg cad3.jpg (25.5 KB, 1817 views)
File Type: jpg dec08a.jpg (68.5 KB, 1821 views)
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 18:41
twistedfuse
Just call me: Twistedfuse

Nowra
Australia
That looks cool. Got any photos/videos of it in action.
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 22:55
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Welcome Jude, maybe I can hook you up with my brother-in-law. He lives in Sydney and he helped a little when I was building my MM.

By the way, are those RUDDERS not a bit small at the back..
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 00:36
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jude,

I will show my ignorance. Why aren't the fans at the back so you can see where you are going? They give you lift but don't they also give you direction?
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 00:47
jude

sydney
Australia
Thanks Guys, No I dont have any videos of the hovercraft in action. I had a heap of trouble with the Cuyuna engines and am presently installing centrifugal clutches to make starting the engines easier whilst the drive fans are connected. No, there are no rudders. The craft is steered entirely by the engine throttles. You rev up the outside fan, the higher speed of the airflow as well as the increased static pressure both cause a turn radius.

I've only just decided to do the MM build. Thanks Kobus for volunteering your brother in law, I may need his help sometime in the future. Just sent message to Rick (rnixon) for the Lasercut parts.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 01:23
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
think this is a side wall type of craft, i am too interested in this and built a couple of crafts a few years back - lack of space made me to dismantle and just store the engine and prop

WELCOME TO THE MM FORUM!
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 01:42
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Welcome Jude.
I see that you are not using any flexiable rubber skirting on the craft. Do you get a lot of clearance over the ground? Or is it more for beach aplication?
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 16:17
jude

sydney
Australia
Hello to Javeira and Lex,
My "invention" is a sealing system for hovercraft that is an alternative to the flexible skirt and fixed sidewall systems. Each of the blue panels are separately suspended from the hull. Each panel is also acted upon by a spring and damper. I will set up a website soon detailing the invention (my ISP no longer hosts sites for free), and wont distract you guys from the Mech Mate.
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 16:53
jude

sydney
Australia
A website I set up some time ago for the Hovercraft is attached here. http://jude.idx.com.au I will update this page soon.
Old Sat 08 August 2009, 18:46
jason H
Just call me: Jase

Phillip Island, Victoria
Australia
Wow Jude, thats damm cool. Please post vid as i'll love to she her in action.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 15:24
jude

sydney
Australia
Smile Half way there?

I have roughly welded up the base table. Will need to redo some of the welds and attach lateral braces. So far everything is proving far easier and quicker than I ever imagined. There are some minor changes from the plans to the legs, etc. I chose to miter the waterpipe (using Tubemiter software) as it was easier for me to do. The hardest thing so far was transporting the X beams home. The first photo shows the X beams and rails on the 'tinnie' with Dangar Island straight ahead.
Also received the MotionKing steppers and drivers, V tyres and other bits, and have started on the power supply and control box.
I need to move this thread to 'Construction started'. Can someome help me with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (70.7 KB, 1642 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0078sm.jpg (79.4 KB, 1638 views)
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 22:36
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
No that is a first in MM world....Beams on Water... Well done
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 00:22
inventall
Just call me: pete

ca
United States of America
Cool craft!! I like it.

How much fun was that trip in the boat with all that wight!!

P.S. Love Sidney haven't been there since 2000
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 05:08
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
scott land island???
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 01:39
jude

sydney
Australia
Hi Gareth, fellow Sydneysider, Scotland Island in Pittwater, is not that far from here by boat. I am on Dangar Island on the Hawkesbury River.
Hi Pete, the tinnie handles the weight no problem. The water felt dead calm that day.
Nice to hear from you again Kobus. Got to say I love your build pages.

Before someone zooms in on my welds I should point out that I redid a lot of the welds today with a 3mm arc welding rod (they dont stock the recomended 7018? rods at my steel shop) and it worked heaps better than the 2.5mm rods I used before. Also, I think I was too cautious about not overheating the beams before.
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 02:55
jude

sydney
Australia
Just to update my progress. The machine is almost there. I have not painted various bits and pieces, the gear racks are not glued in, have not got the Z axis gas strut and other fiddly bits like the idler arm and limit switches are left to do. All the same I am very pleased with progress.
I used Belden CY type cable which at ~$180aus/50meters (used up all 50meters) was considerably cheaper than the Lapp brand. I will trial the machine with el chepo 1/2" router that I had.

For those that are following the progress of my hovercraft, you will notice the centrifugal clutches are installed and aligned. Lots of fiddly work to complete here as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0173small.jpg (85.3 KB, 1415 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0175small.jpg (94.4 KB, 1412 views)
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 03:01
BartDeckers
Just call me: Bart_D

Antwerpen
Belgium
Well done Jude. Looks like a fine build.
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 06:21
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hey Jude,
Nicely going….I can relate & sympathize with a man working hard in a confined space…. I know the feeling !!
Keep us inform of your progress, beast & hovercraft
Amicalement, Robert
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 21:47
jude

sydney
Australia
Sydney can cut it

My machine is now cutting and doing it beautifully. I have not got the MM decals on yet (may cut it by hand if needed) but the machine has been a goer since just before Christmas. The specs of the machine in brief are

8' x 4' work area.
Motion King steppers and Motion Kong drivers
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 22:35
jude

sydney
Australia
Sydney Can Cut it

Oops , I'll have another go with this update. The pictures should tell the story. I cut a seat for my Dory with the MM. Just to be different I bought Motion King stepper drivers rather than the trusted Gecko's, and they work fine. I am using direct drive from the steppers using 25 tooth TEA gears, and the cut quality is very good. I will attach the MM decals soon, even if I have to cut it by hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0192small.jpg (45.7 KB, 1223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0194small.jpg (67.1 KB, 1227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0198small.jpg (63.1 KB, 1218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0199sma.jpg (83.3 KB, 1226 views)
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 22:52
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Congrats! 1st MM afloat!
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 01:13
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nice going Jude. Do you get those nasty Sydney spiders in your garden as well.
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 02:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
"Hey Jude, don't let me down.
You have found her, now go and get her.
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better." - Beatles

Well done!
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 03:53
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Congratulations

Hi Jude - well done, that's all challenges beaten. I was wondering how the yellow machine was going after reading your thread and next thing it is cutting parts.
regards
Ross
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 03:59
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
When will we see that yellow machine hovers?
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 06:08
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Well done Jude,

looks like you have a fine looking and active working going on there.

Ries
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 14:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Excellent Job! A serial number is just around the corner.
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 00:52
jude

sydney
Australia
Can I get a number, please.

OK i've got the Mech Mate logos now, and pictures to show it. Kobus my mate, I have heard of Funnel web spiders and maybe Redbacks being around here but i have never come across one myself. I, however, tend to avoid those high risk activities like gardening. One of the critters you see around here is the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that wandered into my office some time back. I would like to thank Gerald especially, and all the Mech Mates who have shared their knowledge and experience that made my construction quite painless. Thanks also to Rick Nixon whose kind offer to arrange the laser cutting and bending (superb parts there as well) kicked off my decision to build. I also appreciate the positive comments from you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0124small.jpg (85.6 KB, 1028 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203small.jpg (57.9 KB, 1029 views)
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 01:38
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Jude!

Gee, using the plans for a bird-feeder took some swallowing.
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 03:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
You can be glad the bird is still FEEDING...

Enjoy the ride Jude..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read