MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 15 November 2013, 16:48
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Excellent, thanks Ross.

I have another quote in progress for pinions, well have sent an email anyway. The part about TEA's pinions is the 4 week wait, I am not a good waiter I'll go looking for the other bits in the coming week.

Whatever size machine I eventually build will be a bolt together design. I know for a fact that we will be moving in the future - we rent so that is inevitable.

Cheers
Old Mon 18 November 2013, 01:30
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I am now committed to a full size machine. Yea I know I said I was building a smaller one but the prices and difference between the two was small enough to sway me. Pay for my 200 and 75PFC tomorrow, will hopefully pick that up later this week.

Will also be paying for my racks tomorrow so they will be under way too. I'll also see if I can fit in buying the SHS for the lower table as well this week and then will have pretty much everything to build the base and the gantry. One more motor to get plus a toroid and I will be all go. Then all I will have to do is find time to put it all together
Old Mon 18 November 2013, 23:31
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
200 PFC (2 @ 3000mm) & 75 PFC (6 @ 1640mm) ordered, pick up Friday (depending on work) or Saturday. Will probably have to take the passenger seat out of my car to fit them in I have a length of 75 PFC here that I will cut to size when I get the rest giving me 7 in total as per my design. Full size Mechmate here we come!
Old Tue 19 November 2013, 00:37
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Hey Bruce,

Here's a tip for you. If you want to get cheap M1 rack and pinions in OZ, go where I did. CNC & cupcake world out of Melbourne. Look them up on Aussie Ebay. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Tue 19 November 2013, 00:45
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Hi Chris

Yup, know about them. About to order 3x 2m and 2x 1m racks from them. Gonna try 4 of their 30T pinions too to get me going. Will be pulling the "Buy it Now" plug on these tomorrow $341.55 including shipping for all that is absolutely brilliant!

Cheers
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 17:45
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I now have all my steel apart from the replacement 65x50x6 for the X (2 @ 3.3M). Anyone want 2 pieces of 65x50x6 2.4m long?

That 200 PFC for the main beams is damn heavy, weighed down the left side of my car pretty good. Lucky I took the passenger seat out, the 3m pieces just fitted within the confines of the car. My wife was not impressed helping me carrying it down the driveway

Lots to do now instead of lurking around here 24 hours a day!
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 17:49
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Added pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-Steel-in-Car.jpg (55.5 KB, 711 views)
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 19:12
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
What all that steel is for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-shot-2013-11-24-at-1.07.31-PM.jpg (26.5 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-shot-2013-11-24-at-1.07.45-PM.jpg (23.7 KB, 710 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-11-24 at 1.07.39 PM.png (5.2 KB, 712 views)
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 19:50
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Good Luck, Looks like another blue beast is underway.
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 20:19
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Hurshy, I am really looking forward to the build.

First test layout, long way to go before I can weld this up, its just I wanted to see if my drawings translated into real life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First-Test-Layout.jpg (54.8 KB, 708 views)
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 05:20
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Gosh Bruce I don't think my Mini Cooper could carry anything near that amount of steel, the largest anything I've put in it is a tightly rolled-up 4 x 8 sheet of counter laminate. Oh and a 32 kg dog. Best of luck on your build!

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Sun 24 November 2013 at 05:26..
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 06:14
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Dont use the wife for manual labour.
All ammo for the divorce.
Thats a lot of steel for a Robin Reliant.

Good luck with your construction.
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 06:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Ya, you can get your dog to help, but never the wife!!!
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 14:25
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Hahaha, tis all good guys. My wife is very receptive to this machine and she actually offered to help, no insisted. Her complaints were the weight only not the job itself
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 15:09
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sounds like a keeper.
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 18:07
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Bruce

Power on brother, you look like you are going to have your base completed soon. Looks like you are making it rock steady. I need to have my base portable so I had brackets welded to all intersecting spots. I see some of the bases being built using far more steel in the lower sections. I wonder if I need to beef mine up. My base is still setting out in the driveway and I try bumping it to see if it moves and it doesn't. It may be due to upgrading from 3/8 to 1/2-13 bolts and using bevel washers and lock washers. I guess I will find out.
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 21:30
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Hurshy, its nice to beef up the frame, but not essential.
Don't get paranoid
& stick to your plan if you wanna finish your build.
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 21:37
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
ok I will skip the second floor and the pool
Old Sun 24 November 2013, 22:23
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Yea, I just decided to make it as stable as possible, the steel required didn't cost much so I thought why not
Old Tue 26 November 2013, 16:47
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
The brakes are on in my build, looks like I will have to get rid of my current CNC machine before building the MM. I mocked up the table in the driveway this morning and my minds eye concept of the size has nothing to do with reality!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-Mockup-MM-forum.jpg (70.1 KB, 668 views)
Old Tue 26 November 2013, 17:48
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Wait until you turn it over, THEN the real reality sets in. Ha ha
Old Tue 26 November 2013, 18:23
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
You will find that it gets very big and very heavy very quickly.
Old Thu 28 November 2013, 00:25
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Think I have figured out a way to still go ahead with the MM So today I spent the hours cutting up steel, taking a break every so often to get out of the 37C heat we had today. Still got a bit to do and maybe, just maybe, this weekend I can spend welding up the base sides. Lotsa drilling, tapping and welding coming up!
Old Thu 28 November 2013, 00:37
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Cool Sweating

you got to love that sweating grinding, drilling, welding, sweating. it makes for great memories and you got to appreciate all those who have done it before.
Old Thu 28 November 2013, 19:18
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Finished up all my cutting today, I now have all the sections of the base. I made a jig on my current cnc to make sure I got everything inline and square.

I changed the configuration of the sides to make it easier to cut and build. Each panel coming out of this jig will have 3 legs attached, one at each end and one in the middle. These panels will be welded to the legs, the end plates in the photos were a previous idea but they make a good square end point - they won't be welded.

Off to buy some drills so I can drill the legs for tapping and hope to get them drilled some time today. After that the welding will begin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-Jig---MM-Forum.jpg (44.3 KB, 657 views)
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 01:50
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Couldn't resist - today I started tack welding the frames. One down, 5 to go then on to drilling and tapping the legs.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 05:51
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Another one bitten by the MechMate bug.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 06:00
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
And boy, does she bite hard!
Old Fri 06 December 2013, 03:10
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I started to weld up the base last weekend and then got called to work. Real annoying when work gets in the way of one building schedule The only positive thing this week was my racks and pinions arriving today, one more piece of my puzzle solved. Hoping my upcoming 3 day weekend will be fruitful and that I can get more done on my machine.
Old Fri 06 December 2013, 10:10
Kornerking
Just call me: Pete #127

Big Falls, Mn
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by racedirector View Post
I started to weld up the base last weekend and then got called to work. Real annoying when work gets in the way of one building schedule The only positive thing this week was my racks and pinions arriving today, one more piece of my puzzle solved. Hoping my upcoming 3 day weekend will be fruitful and that I can get more done on my machine.
What is this 3 day weekend you speak of?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read