MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Dxf Library
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 17 February 2008, 15:43
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Copied from this thread:

Marc Shlaes here! Here is a photo and description of the dust collection setup that JR and I fashioned for his machine.

This was Version one of the dust foot. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a photo of Version 2. The changes were subtle but significant. I will describe them below.

This photo shows the foot, the tube and the upper clamp holding the tube. The upper clamp is attached to an angle iron bolted to the back of the z-slide. Both the foot and the clamp were cut from expanded PVC.

Changes between Version 1 and Version 2:

JR correctly believed that the force of the fan in the router was kicking dust out the sides of the foot. Therefore, we added some bushings that spaced the foot down 3/8ths of an inch and made the front hole just large enough for the router collet and thereby sealing off most of the router's air. The change was dramatic. The efficiency probably doubled. Good call J.R. We took the router's temperature with an IR thermometer after the change to ensure that the router was getting enough air. No problem. The other significant change was the type of vinyl used in the apron. We switched from a thinner stiffer plastic to a thicker softer vinyl. We cut the apron from a piece of vinyl that is used to make those overlapping walk-thru curtains for large freezers. We simply stopped by a refrigeration contractor to obtain one vertical replacement panel. This material was perfect. The Version 1 plastic was securely attached using double stick tape. This did not work with the Version 2 vinyl. It didn't stick. Therefore, we evenly spaced some screws and problem solved. (BTW: Expanded PVC holds screws really well.) I wished I had taken some pictures after Version 2 was put into service. There really was NO dust. Even when the apron went off the edge of the wood, only tiny, tiny amounts of dust escaped. You can see in the Version 1 phote attached that it didn't work as well.

Would anyone want the dxf's for the foot and the clamp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dust Foot.jpg (56.6 KB, 2747 views)
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 11:43
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
As promised. Here are the DXF's for the foot and the upper clamp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Marc JR Dust Foot.zip (19.2 KB, 584 views)
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 12:31
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Marc,

What version of AutoCAD are you using? I have 2000 and I could not view the files.
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 13:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The joys of sharing dxf's . . . .

My AutoCad 2005 opens them, and reports them as AutoCad 2004
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 14:19
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
A little helpful plugin for those running AutoCad.
DWGGateway, a free plugin by Solidworks will allow and AutoCad user V14 and above open and current to old release of drawings and back save them as well. It runs from the Menu in Autocad.
You can thank LEKO in Ohio. He found this plug in a few years ago and makes the Release 14 of AutoCad still useful in opening newer files.
Old Sun 24 February 2008, 11:54
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Version 3 of the Dust Foot is coming. JR made some improvement and the DXF's are being updated. The improvements take into account some of Gerald's advice.

I will also post a DXF of the JR / Marc router bracket for the PC 7518 that makes the whole thing work.

Soon. I promise.
Old Tue 15 April 2008, 15:41
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Marc & JR,
did you update your foot drawing file?
Old Sun 27 April 2008, 19:18
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Sean, sorry I took so long. Life comes at you fast. There is a mental exercise going on on a Version 4 but it is at least two months off.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Marc JR Dust Foot V3.zip (16.3 KB, 596 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read