MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 23 June 2009, 02:02
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

Stucco is a big thing here. Almost every house built today in FL has Stucco on the outside of the cement block.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 02:24
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have just just discovered that your "stucco" and our "plaster" are basically the same thing, just with a different name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stucco "Modern stucco is an exterior cement plaster wall covering. It is usually a mix of sand, Portland cement, lime and water"

I guess your stucco is premixed and sold at a higher price than our way of mixing up the cheap ingredients ourselves.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 02:27
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Houses in Florida built of cement block? I thought you guys only parked trailers on cement blocks and build your houses of matchsticks - at least, that is what CNN shows us after a cyclone passes through there.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 02:58
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Most houses are built of cement block. When there is a hurricane or some other weather condition that destroys most of the houses in the area, the US Government brings in trailers for people to live in while they recover. The trailers seems to stay around for a long time.

There are some houses built out of wood. The second story is all wood construction. The construction requirements have drastically changed in the last 5-8 years. Now from the foundation to the roof every thing is tied together with straps. All the trusts for the roof are strapped to each other and then strapped to the walls. It is partly why the cost of houses have gone up. In the past when a shingled roof was installed there were only four nails placed in each shingle. Today there are 6 and the nails are much longer. They must penetrate through the sub roofing material. The windows must be able to with stand 150 MPH winds at least in most locations in FL. when I replaced the windows in my house, I could only buy 150 MPH windows and I had to use 11 screws in each window to hold it in place.

The construction changes have reduced the number of homes that fail during hurricanes but there is only so much you can do when you get one of those things in your neighborhood. Many times it is not the wind that does the damage but the trees that fall or the material that is being hurled by the winds. The year that we had 3 hurricanes come through, most of the damage was done by the large number of large oak trees that fell. In some neighborhoods almost every tree was damaged or upturned.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 04:17
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I am glad we do not have any hurricanes here Nils. Must be a frightning experience. The worst was a few years ago when hail as large as golf balls hit us!
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 04:20
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hi John,
Will you be working for the same company in Auckland?
Are you too English for the All Blacks in Christchurch or did you promote the Blu Bulls too much?
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 04:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Johan,

We get hail also. In 1986, we had a hail storm that did so much damage many cars had to have body work done on them. One of my friends had to have the front and rear windows on his car replaced. Many people had their cars repaired and two weeks later we had another hail storm and many of the same cars got damaged. Some people didn't have their cars repaired and I remember for years seeing cars with dimples in them.

Mother nature is a powerful forces.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 06:48
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Johan,
Thanks for the info. Up here in Canada we primarily use asphalt shingles for roofing material. Slate tiles, cedar shingles, steel roofing, membrane roofing (for flat roofs) are also used but the asphalt shingle is the most common.

http://www.iko.com/products/residential/residential.asp
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 10:12
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Here is a update on my table that I am busy with at the moment.

TafelBou1.jpg

It is amazing how fascinate we all are about the MechMate. My friend Jan offer to help on the construction. He refused to take no for a answer.

TafelBou2.jpg

He even brought his own helper with. Here he is busy spraying primer on the crossbeams.

TafelCrossBrace1.jpg

The thick wall piping that I manage to get at no charge was a nightmare to flatten in its cold state. We connect it with end plats as shown.

Ycar1.jpg

We even had time to weld the y-car up.
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 13:25
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
dit begin vorder !
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 14:40
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Dit lyk goed.

I found this little program, Tube Mitre, very useful when joining my pipes, just enter the parameters, print out the templates, wrap them around the pipe and grind to the line - gives a very neat finish.

(5th program down on the list)
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 18:20
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Johan,

That's the kind of friend I need. I had virtually no help building mine except from the great guys on this forum.

Is that your dog in the picture? I bet he's pretty good keeping the snake population down around your house. He looks like a Jack Russell terrier. My wife and I love that breed. Lot of energy!!
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 22:51
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice to see the progress Johan...keep it up before it gets too hot and humid to work again
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 23:58
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks all.
It is strange and pleasant at the same time not to be alone in the workshop.
I am going to do my best to have it running before mid November. Thats when the humidity starts building up Kobus.
Thanks for the pointer Alan. Nice site! We were thinking to mitre it like that at first but settle on our plate connections in the end because of the time saving.
Yes Doug, he is a Jack Russell with the name of Mufasa(The lion King). That is a good description for him. He keep and catches everything around the house. Talks to us as well, if he want something or he want to go somewhere. He is suppose to be the son's dog but he descided that I am his boss. It was a full time job to keep him away from the grinding and welding. He keep coming back to stand guard over me with the 'strangers' in the yard.
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 03:04
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Wall is red, grey and blue - sorry not white!

The small compressor was build by my Dad about 25 years ago.
It consist of a fridge motor, gas bottle and a truck compressor.
The air pressure drop rather quickly. When this happen then Jan, my friend comments: " Lets give Grandpa time to catch up" the same time reaching for his beer!

I really like this blue!
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 03:16
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa

Jan was very unhappy when we bolted the board into position.
It was hiding his nice steel work!
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 03:24
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Here are pictures of my skate with JR's modifications and other suggestions.

I used M4 screws to keep the bearing shafts in position.

It might be easier to drill and tap into the bearing shaft as shown in the direction of the red line. The dxf will have to be adjusted to move the raduis away a little bit so that one can drill into a flat surface.
I did not have a M10 tap for the grinder handles, so I tack a M10 Nut in position. It lifts the bottom of the handle up so that it doesn't interfere with the top plate adjustment.
I still need to test it.
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 05:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice going Johan, Now I know that you are really building a MM..previous it was just hearsay...
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 09:01
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice job Johan (& Jan)!
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 23:17
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks!
There are still a lot of work to be done and it would be a number of Saterdays before I see the end.
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 02:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
How much space between the MM and the walls....will your stepper motors not scrape against the wall ? Can a SA male with a boep get in there to pick up the cut pieces or will you do what I have to do...on my knees on top of old BBB to retrieve the pieces at the far end...

I hope you keep that kitchen door...or is it the garage door closed when you cut...or have a good extractor...

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Mon 27 July 2009 at 02:24..
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 04:03
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
It is not perfect. On the left and rear I have aprox. 450mm with the right hand side 800mm(at the door). This wall will have to take my control box as well. Camera position is at the roll-up door. I still have to put the single door on the frame, but will use some rubber seals between that and the garage next door. I hope my wife is going to sponser me the money for the dust extraxtion out of her retrenchment package.
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 06:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Very tight space you have... For the sake of safety, please give 600mm minimum space for passage.
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 06:37
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Retrenchment...that sounds bad. Is Bell downscaling or shutting down over there?
Old Mon 27 July 2009, 07:04
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Dit lyk goed oom Johan,now I can see why you want to put your computer in the room next door.I have done those bushes for you Need to do the one for the Y-car still would do it this weekend.I am visiting Cape Town from Wednesday you know there where the other uncle stays would pick him up for a pub lunch.(he doesn`t know that we are going to do some shopping for my next MM)
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 01:34
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Ken, if I have to do something at the back the machine will be isolated. My 0,0 set up point is in the front with plenty space.
Kobus, Bell is in deep trouble. John Deere own 30% and I think Bell hope that Deere is going to buy them out. My daugther also work for them and she will know early next month if she will be going or not. It was the wife's decision to take it. She needs a new challange and the MechMate is going to be it.
Hennie, dankie vir jou hulp Ou Boet! Kry vir Oom Gerhardus om bietjie van jou 'shopping' te finansier.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 02:44
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ek wil kyk watter rooiwyn hy aangeskaf het die naweek.
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 02:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ek kry die idee dat 'n iemend hier met hoed in die hand gaan opdaag . . . .

Vertel my meer, Hennie - wanneer, waar?
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 02:55
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
he he. Uit gevang boetie, uit gevang!
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 19:44
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Beautiful work Johan. Top notch quality. Next time, put your son's dog in the picture.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read