MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 24 November 2010, 10:14
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Maybe I should auction it off ...... Can I goto jail for that
Old Fri 26 November 2010, 20:13
myozman
Just call me: Mike #16

Demotte,IN
United States of America
Stan,
I build Mame Arcades for little profit, I just like building them for friends. Here is the latest. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by salewis View Post
I'm up for the task now that we are "what you call experts"...

"Ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip under pressure."

The sheets cover proprietary stuff just like at my garage proprietary stuff covers my MGB

Yeah, we may find the flat black doesn't release dust well.

Retro.... talk about all the retro stuff that we threw out of the Vid Game console...

Ted wants to build a MAME vid game console, will use the coin door for kicks.. Any ideas on what we could use to cut the console parts with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (43.3 KB, 899 views)
File Type: jpg 3a.jpg (43.9 KB, 900 views)
Old Fri 26 November 2010, 22:59
crashingsucks
Just call me: doc #67

NC
United States of America
Nice!! I guess the 1st will be a new box for the mm guts, but the 2nd will be for me to build a game Machine. I never had enough quarters back in the day, and soon I won't need them!

Thanks I am sure I will be in touch for some help.
Ted
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 19:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mike,
Nice machine!
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 20:48
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Stan,

Nice looking MechMate. Congratulations on completing your MechMate and on earning Serial #67.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please verify the cutting dimensions. I just assumed that the machine was built to handle that large sheet of MDF you mentioned.

Also, please review your entry and let me know any changes you want to make.
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 07:40
salewis
Just call me: Stan #67

Littleton, NC
United States of America
Myozman, I'm sure crashingsucks will have some questions.....
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 11:55
salewis

Littleton, NC
United States of America
too busy to make updates.

Unfortunately that really hasn't been the case.. we have been cutting molds for uav/rpv projects, aluminum dash panels, aluminum wing skins for full scale aircraft....

Now for the update...adding a vacuum table... grid cut into 1.5 inch Baltic ply. Now for some plumbing work....

Will post pics when I get to a real 'puter instead on my smartphone
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 19:09
salewis

Littleton, NC
United States of America
now for the pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small table grid.jpg (215.9 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg small grid.jpg (224.7 KB, 496 views)
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 20:10
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Now that has the appearance of a vacuum system being fabricated.
Well done!
Old Mon 08 October 2012, 23:28
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
how wide is the grooves?
they look narrow...
Old Tue 09 October 2012, 04:52
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
I just use a .5 bit for mine and .375 deep the air evens out on my ultra lite mdf spoil board. he air flows so good through it that I had to use strips of 6mm sintra to keep it in each zone.
Old Tue 09 October 2012, 06:34
salewis

Littleton, NC
United States of America
grooves are 0.25 by 0.5 deep. We are planning on using two 2.0" outlets per zone to the vacuum system.

We have two Lighthouse vacuum motors, but may go with the Fein shop vacuums instead.

We will put one piece of 5 x 10 x 0.75 udf on top and then section the zones with 0.25 by 0.75 grooves. Lastly, we plan on filling the grooves in the UDF with polyester resin to cut down on vacuum loss when using only 1-2 zones.

The zones are done so that we have the option of holding 1/8th (1 x 4), 1/4 (2x4), 1/2 (4x4), full sheets of plywood, and lastly the weird 1x10 zone.

There are a couple of things that I'm not really happy over. First is the loss of almost 2.25 inches of z, but our "workload" has changed more towards sheet work and less molds (which is why we built the machine in the first place). The other is that once finished it makes moving the machine that much harder (picture a slab of 1.5 baltic ply laminated with .75 udf that is 5x10 feet).

Still swaying back and forth over which vacuum system to use: Fein or Central Vacuum motors.

Stan
Old Tue 09 October 2012, 07:16
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
1/4" deep groove is a tat too shallow for my liking, but you can always make yourself another if it doesn't perform I can see the advantage, the grid board will last longer.
Mine is 1/2", No zone. I know it is impossible to get rid of "inter-zone" leaks unless dedicated grid boards (with sealed edges) for each zone. Which will complicate things. In another word, I'm too lazy...

I can still "zone" my vacuum table by covering the exposed board with some vinyl floor sheets which cost me less than 10USD, consider them as consumables.

Central Vacuum motor gets my vote anytime, but you gotta choose wisely.... BTW, which central Vacuum motor are you looking at?
Old Wed 10 October 2012, 10:14
salewis

Littleton, NC
United States of America
Btw the grooves are 0.5 deep. I was considering cutting with a 0.5 bit.

Unfortunately once I put the udf on top... it is a done deal because it will be glued down to prevent vacuum loss. Unless I want to mill off 0.75 off udf :-Q

I will attempt to seal the edges around and between zones by cutting a groove through the udf and filling with resin.

The motor are lighthouse 116765-13 120 volt aka LH6765-13. I would have rather access to 220/230 Vac but don't so my options limited.
Old Wed 10 October 2012, 11:28
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
I cut a groove in mine and glued in a 6mm sintra strip this seals the bleed through
Old Thu 11 October 2012, 07:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jerry,
I just cut a perimeter border in the table areas and then filled with plastic body filler.

Great idea.
Old Fri 12 October 2012, 00:01
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
LH6765-13 is a good choice. Just pay attention to your wall plug amperage rating especially when you have two motors running at the same time..

Last edited by KenC; Fri 12 October 2012 at 00:04..
Old Sat 13 October 2012, 04:54
salewis

Littleton, NC
United States of America
Probably going to have to run the motors on two circuits.

Just what is needed MORE POWER!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read