MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Tue 17 September 2013, 23:58
newbiegreenhorn
Just call me: newb

bc
Canada
Cost conscious

Hey mechmates!
Totally new to cnc but have been doing research.
Can someone tell me average cost to build quality mechmate?
4 x 8 ft cutting area. Quality parts.
Not including my time.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 00:53
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
When you say "quality" do you mean no expense spared?
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 07:58
newbiegreenhorn
Just call me: newb

bc
Canada
What I mean by quality would mean made in either usa, canada or europe, or japan.
price point would be at roughly 70-80%.
Thanks for the reply.
Is building one of these going to cost me 5k in parts or 15 k or maybe in the middle? or more? I am looking for roughly a 20% error estimate right now
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 09:50
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
7-8K nicely done with affordable spindle. if you own all the tools.
If you need to add welder/grinder and some tooling, add another 1K
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 09:54
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
Newb,
4-5000 US $ is the average for a complete Mechmate .... in Europe it could be somewhat more expensive but the number are the same 4-5000 euro.I am sure it can be done with 5000 euro with 7.2 Geared motor and a 2.2kw spindle with VFD .... many components are less expensive in the USA and Canada is much closer ...
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 09:59
silverdog

Rome
Italy
..... well if Sean say 7-8k $ .... I think he knows better than me ... but I'm still confident 5000 € is enough (yes not considering a welder (3-400 $ ? grinder 100 $ and some other tooling ....
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 10:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Conservatively, will run way over 10k with all parts made in either usa, canada or europe, or japan.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 10:14
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I'm a little over 7k in mine with belt reduction and a router. I'd call it a quality build. Probably has around 250 hrs. on it with the only problem being a prox sensor coming loose. That's entirely my fault, truth be told, didn't tighten enough in the first place.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 15:05
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Will probably cost more if their governments get involved hey Ken??? dont forget this is a "third world" design...
Old Thu 19 September 2013, 11:45
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Looking on the 'build' spread sheet. I thought I remembered a 'est of build cost' column, but it isn't there. Just a 'build time', but that is in start to finish, not effort. I think most are 200 to 600 man hours, with a nominal 250 if I remember right.

I have always heard a 'cheap build' but purchasing everything new is about $5 to $8K USD. If you are a good scrounger for steel, wire, stepping motors/servo's, and you have a router already, you can reduce the cost considerably.
Old Fri 20 September 2013, 10:43
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
plus. the time you spend.. if you are good on tools is not the same if you dont know how to weld.
then is the curve of learning of learning how to do a square cut to a vcarve photo.
plus on the end you will need a vacumm and some other stuff.

join the game... will be fun.
Old Fri 20 September 2013, 11:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
"Quality" Vacuum pump alone is >>>5K
Old Fri 20 September 2013, 15:03
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Vacuum pump it's an option, it's absolutely not essential and for many works is a waste of money (too many kw) ....
Old Sat 21 September 2013, 00:49
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
"Quality" dust collector is >>2K
Old Sat 21 September 2013, 02:39
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Quality dust collector is a must !! :-) here you can find it for much less than 2k ... used even under 500$ , bigger dust collectors are needed if you run multiple machine toghether ... in any case those are accessory needed for any wood machine and any other CNC .... you also need a place to run you machine, electrical supply ecc. .... but I think we were talking about the cost of the Mechmate itself ...
I am building a new base and the cost of new iron (3200x1850) was 550 € for all the iron + 50 € for bolt, shimmers, dados ecc. (bolted base :-) ) I think the complete structure with a set bended laser will be 1100-1200 € (a complete laser set from Mike is 520 $ ) a set of geared motors is 1100$, 4 gekos 203v and a pmdx are 640$ a set of weels and bushings are 350-400$, racks and pinions are less than 100€, then you need cable, chains, paint, control box,MDF, transformer some electronics, buttons, limit switches ... I think all those things can be purchased for 1500-2000€, I am in the process to get all the quotes and I will report everything.
Italy is not the most ecomomic place to buy ... The bearings are coming from superior bearings, gekos are less expensive in USA and so on ...
Good luck !
Old Sat 21 September 2013, 03:14
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
My Malaysian made dust collector fitted with a China made motor + Indian made fabric filter begs, Thailand made flexible host came about ~USD700. Not in newb's classification of "quality part".
Old Sat 21 September 2013, 05:40
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
As an alternative to spending money on a dust extractor you could mount the machine outside under an open sided tent.
Check the direction of the prevailing wind and site the control and yourself upwind.
If there is no wind use some fans.
For adverse wind conditions consider mounting the machine on a turntable.
Should work if you have no neighbors close by.
Old Mon 23 September 2013, 18:38
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Cool Tent instead of dust collection...

That seems like a good idea in the right place

A good dust collection can be not to expensive. Think of building your own using plans from BillPentz http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm ... the trick is to read it all before deciding to DIY.

The separator should be a couple of hundred dollars if you DIY. But the 5HP electric motor is in addition.

A more expensive way is to get a ClearVue cyclone. It is built on Bill Pentz's design (and is the only commercial built one authorized by Bill to use his design).

I wish someone with deep pockets would do a scientific comparison of a ClearVue and some other commercial designs, and even put in a Thein separator in the mix to see how it works for the cheap way.

Just a suggestion.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 11:28
krabenaldt
Just call me: Kevin

Midland TX
United States of America
The April 2013 issue of Fine Woodworking has an interest article comparing a small commerical cyclone, thien baffle, and micron type filters.
Old Fri 04 October 2013, 19:36
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I had around $7k with machine, spindle, cam software, dust collector and many other options. No vacuum holddown though.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts