MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Tue 10 January 2012, 19:09
jd.roberts
Just call me: JD

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Gonna start a MM this weekend

Hi Everyone,
I teach Industrial tech at the local High School, we have a Centroid Servo Based CNC Router with a lot of bells and whistles, tool changer, 8hp HSD Spindle, 25HP Roots blower, 1.5" phenolic vacuum table, etc.
Anyway I have been using CNC Routers for about 7 years now along with ArtCAM, and now have moved to Vectric Aspire.

I have owned 4 shopbots my last being a PRT Alpha, which I pieced together and made all of my own mechanics, but used SB's template for the design. I used to follow Gerald and Mike over on the SB Forum over the years and have always been impressed by what I read from these guys.

After I helped load my last SB on to the buyers trailer, I had a pit in my stomach, I miss being able to walk out in my garage on a Saturday morning with a cup of coffee to cut some crazy part or cool design.

So, I am now ready to start building a MM, I think most of my intimidation is gone with the mechanics's, however I do have a concern with electronics and motors.

Is there anyone that has put together a ready to go package for motors, controller cables, switches, MPG Etc?

I'm buying my welder and a HD drill press this weekend as well as calling my local steel yards to get the best price on steel.

I also need to order my laser parts and plans.

I would like to get it put together rather fast (couple months on weeknights and weekends)

Thanks for any information.

JD
Old Tue 10 January 2012, 21:19
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome. I have most of what you need for electrics , parts , wire , control box (20x20x8) , heat sinks.

http://www.cvsupply.com/servlet/the-MechMate/Categories

I also sent you a PM.
Old Fri 20 January 2012, 00:23
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Hi JD, and welcome! I hope your build goes well. I think Mike's set is pretty good for the control box, if you're looking for a kit that cuts out a lot of the searching around. I think he has motors too. He's been good to work with, as I'm sure you're aware of.

Also, if you don't have a local source for VHB tape, I got a 36 yd roll from McMaster Carr. Once I get my racks on, if you want to buy the remainder, I'd be happy to package it up and send it on down your way. Once you have what you need, you could send off the remainder. Should go through 3 machines without too much trouble.
Old Fri 20 January 2012, 18:07
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hi Eric,
Yes, I'm looking forward to getting this build going. I am going to utilize almost all of Mikes already to go parts. I have put a lot of time into reading the MM builds on the Forum this last week. I have put my steel order together from a local supplier and will be ordering my laser cut parts here shortly. As far as the rack tape, give me a PM and let me know what your looking to get. I honestly haven't locally resourced it.

Thanks and good luck on your build also.

JD
Old Mon 14 January 2013, 18:23
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hi Again,
Well it seems almost exactly a year and I'm now starting, don't you hate how life gets in the way of your plans. Ok, so got my laser cut parts, my control box, gear boxes and pulleys, along with a bunch of other stuff coming from Mike. Did some steel shopping this last weekend, amazing what a little calling around can do, $400.00 difference from vendor to vendor. Have motors and some misc stuff also. Have welder and grinders, I should be ready. Anyone in AZ that has a MM running or in the process of building, I wouldn't mind talking shop and helping each other.

JD
Old Mon 14 January 2013, 19:42
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome back. If you take a look at my thread,you'll see life got in the way for about a year at my start too.
Berrter late than never, I say.
Old Mon 14 January 2013, 20:06
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hi Darren, thanks for the welcome back, I just went through your build log...again, great looking capable machine, I hope to have something so nice. Your right, about better late then never, I'm on board now, the wife even offered to help.
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 12:43
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd.roberts View Post
Anyone in AZ that has a MM running or in the process of building, I wouldn't mind talking shop and helping each other.

JD
Hi jd.
I'm in Arizona City, 8 miles south of where interstate 10 & 8 intersect. My machine is built and you can look at my build log here.. http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2750

Good luck!
Old Sat 26 January 2013, 19:32
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hey Steve appreciate the offer, read your build log good looking machine. I might take you up on that offer, I have some time off in a couple weeks and may just need make the drive.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts