MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 28 November 2016, 08:34
Macwood
Just call me: Mac

London
United Kingdom
Traditional Dinosaur

Hello all
Thought I raise my head above the parapet to say that I have finally started to plan my build. I still have many final spec details to decide on, but I thought I’d make a start and introduce myself here.
I am a traditionally trained furniture maker based in the UK, I design and make quite a bit of fine furniture by hand, which inherently takes time. I originally started looking into cnc routers and few years ago with the aim to improve productivity and reduce build hours on batch projects in the workshop. It was about then when I discovered the mechmate.

I have spent a lot of time reading on here and still have a lot more to do, Hats off to you Gerald for starting this great resource of quality info, and to you Mike for carrying on the baton of this forum and the other contributors.
Hopefully during my build, I can add something of substance to this community.

Cheers
Mac
Old Mon 28 November 2016, 12:30
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome aboard Mac!
Old Fri 15 September 2017, 12:32
Macwood

London
United Kingdom
Slowly moving forward

Since I first posted here, I’ve been doing a lot of reading, planning, creating a BOM, preparing a space for the MM to live and changing my mind quite a bit!
My plan is to cut mostly sheet material but also true 3d Furniture components such as the image of the table legs attached.

So far I have decided that my MM will:
Cut 2440x 1220 sheet material
Cut 3d components (i.e. see image) perhaps with indexer later?
Run a spindle
Nearly all the steel parts will be sourced from recycled steel suppliers apart from critical parts such as and 1010322, 1020240, and 1020440.
I have changed the base table design slightly to accommodate building it with the 70x70x4mm recycled box section (From EBay). If it’s allowed I will post the drawing later, as I’m not a mechanical engineer and I would really appreciate the advice from the MM crew on it.
I will be purchasing the laser cut and bent parts. And I plan on grinding my own rails for the project.

I have been wondering is there additional stresses and strains, I should be considering when cutting 3d components such as the table leg in the image, above the original MM design?

One of my main concerns is the electronic and the motors.
Because I think this is my weakest link in the project (or at least my first major hurdle) I have decide to make it my first priority, and start with the kitchen table project first. (If this is the wrong place for this content please let me know)
I am currently looking at either Leadshine or Longs motors, and Leadshine drivers. I still need to research this more and I’m currently reading up about the belt reductions and there results.
My plan is to complete the planning stage and have the materials sourced and stocked for Christmas, and to start the build over the holidays then.
Any pointers and advice would be very well received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3967 (Medium).JPG (101.0 KB, 122 views)
Old Fri 15 September 2017, 19:07
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Welcome Mac.
Keep reading.
The Longs motors on my machine have
performed well for nearly 4 years now.
Old Thu 04 January 2018, 14:57
Macwood

London
United Kingdom
Moving along a bit more

I have gathered a bit more on the materials front formy MM build.

Managed to sourse so much of 70x70x 4 mm box so also considering using it for the main beams.

I nearly broke my van when getting it to the workshop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1131 (Custom).JPG (108.9 KB, 67 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read