MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > The Market Place
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 03 January 2010, 17:55
iqchallenged
Just call me: Bill

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
New hold-down product

I searched for a similar thread but couldn't find one. So here I go. I've been working on this new hold-down system for some time and hope you'll pay me a visit. Thanks for looking.
http://projectcnc.wordpress.com/148-...ox-hold-downs/
Old Sun 03 January 2010, 21:34
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
interesting, but I have a question about your design, why not make the slot for the clamping screw to hide an allen head screw?

here, take a look at the quick drawings I did in solidworks, this way you make it even lower profile.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: png pinch0_resize.png (49.1 KB, 602 views)
File Type: png pinch1_resize.png (97.0 KB, 597 views)
Old Sun 03 January 2010, 22:08
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, cap screws are made from tough steel - cutters don't like them.

Bill, you might want to go the step clamp route to accommodate different thicknesses of material.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 05:07
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
I understand, these are sacrificial screws, but nevertheless, they can be hidden inside the clamp for even lower profile, same as the space I left for an allen screw, but shallower.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 05:23
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I like the steel clamp idea. Make them out of plastic.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 05:30
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi
For holdown I use hardwood floor plank with floor screw ,the tong hold well , free from the scrap bin.
Normand
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 06:04
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU View Post
interesting, but I have a question about your design, why not make the slot for the clamping screw to hide an allen head screw?

here, take a look at the quick drawings I did in solidworks, this way you make it even lower profile.

Good Luck!
Thank you Pablo. I appreciate your suggestion and the time you took to draw it out. Looks great! At the current time I'm using a mold that won't allow me to do that. But certainly I could machine it in. Thanks again.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 06:09
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Pablo, cap screws are made from tough steel - cutters don't like them.

Bill, you might want to go the step clamp route to accommodate different thicknesses of material.
Thank you for your response. Actually the step design is where I started but decided that I actually wanted something cleaner albeit less diverse. I'm guessing that 90% of the time we machine two major dimensions: 1/2" and 3/4". I do have plans for a 1/4" x 3/8" model. But you may be right. I may end up offering a plastic step as an option. The plastic is a big thing to me because of its sacrificial ability.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 06:11
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU View Post
I understand, these are sacrificial screws, but nevertheless, they can be hidden inside the clamp for even lower profile, same as the space I left for an allen screw, but shallower.
You're right Pablo. I could sink the slot and still use the brass round heads. Nothing like a good brain-storming session.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 06:19
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
I like the steel clamp idea. Make them out of plastic.
You might have something but I'm thinking those metal ones have reached their design pinnacle. They're pretty much perfect for general woodworking and I can't imagine them in any material other than aluminum.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 06:23
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by normand blais View Post
Hi
For holdown I use hardwood floor plank with floor screw ,the tong hold well , free from the scrap bin.
Normand
You can't argue with success. Thanks for your response Normand.
Old Fri 19 February 2010, 16:52
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
With respect to the forum this will be a one time mention. I just wanted any interested parties to know that I now have an actual website at www.PinchBlox.com. The price settled out at $19.95+$4.95 shipping. Thank you
Old Fri 19 February 2010, 19:44
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
This is the Market Place. The one spot your welcome to do that !!
Old Fri 19 February 2010, 21:56
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Smile

His looks better than mine does.

Im not trying to take away from your business at all. Im just a poor boy and I can draw using visuals. Hope you do well, especially with all your hard work that you put into this product.

They work pretty good. They need to be made out of hdpe for durability.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hdpe Hold Down Clamp Bottom Piece.jpg (106.0 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg Hold Down Clamps Nested.jpg (176.5 KB, 380 views)
Old Sat 20 February 2010, 03:32
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
James,

You could save yourself some money by putting them closer together. That material it isn't cheap.......!!!!
Old Tue 23 February 2010, 11:02
iqchallenged

Chattanooga, TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyjames View Post
His looks better than mine does.

Im not trying to take away from your business at all. Im just a poor boy and I can draw using visuals. Hope you do well, especially with all your hard work that you put into this product.

They work pretty good. They need to be made out of hdpe for durability.

James
James: I'm flattered that you'd think enough of my clamp to experiment with another material. Early in the game someone suggested aluminum (my favorite material). I remarked that the best material was the one that worked best. Aluminum is too expensive and too hard for a bit to be bumping in to. The problem I see with HDPE is flex, and it's expensive too. In my little micro business I'm currently paying full retail for plastic and operating at a loss. I do that in hopes of building a following. Over time, if I sell enough copies, I'll convert to bulk purchases at wholesale and use an injection mold. Then-- I can sell them cheaper.
Old Tue 23 February 2010, 11:09
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Bill I agree. I just forked over $209.00 USD for an 4'x8'x.75" sheet of hdpe. That hurt a lot but with building a business that is just part of the cycle until you can have the leverage for bulk ordering once you have become successful and start to balance the scales. I have yet to really make a profit as I just put back what I make into the business instead of spending it on everyday things.

Glad your doing good. Keep it up.

James

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read