MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Fri 04 March 2011, 22:27
tjlee337
Just call me: tj

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
Rancho Cucamonga CA(Getting started)

Hi, my name is T.J.. I have been browsing this site for awhile now but still not so confident about whether I can build MechMate but I decide to take this leap of faith and leave everything to my willingness to learn and hard work.
I have been searching for materials to make the table and found the following materials. If anyone can let me know whether it would work, I would really appreciated.

- Main beam - Channel 10" x 3" x 1/4" Thick
- Side frame(lower cross brace, cross angle brace, long longitudnal, vertical
bearer, long angle brace, (2 1/2" x 3/16") or (2" x 1/8")
- Here are other materials I can get my hands on for very good price and I was wondering whether it's possible to make angle bar for x and y rail out of following items by welding it together. example: 2 of 3"x1/4" flat bar welded together to make angle bar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Flat Bar
4" x 3/4"
7" x 1/4"
2" x 1/4"
3 1/2" x 1/2"
3" x 1/2"
12" x 1/2"
8" x 1/4"
5" x 1/2"
6" x 1/2"
3" x 1/4"
2 1/2" x 3/8"
2" x 1/8"
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 14:39
tjlee337

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
Can anyone help me whether this would work for main beam of MechMate or is too big. I like to get it before supply run out. Thanks in advance
- Main beam - Channel 10" x 3" x 1/4" Thick
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 18:05
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
10" will be fine, but you will need to build the long slide version for the z axis for full use of that area over bed. Good luck
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 23:10
tjlee337

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
Thanks Sean. I was little discouraged when no one responded to my post but with lady luck on my side I would love to finish what I've started. Thanks for your response.
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 02:45
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
1/4" = 6mm is it the side thickness? Mine chanell 180 x 70mm was 8mm on sides and 10mm flanges. So this one is maybe thin for that size?
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 03:17
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
From my working experience with MM, there really isn't a lot of force acting on the beam. I recon your smaller main beam can handle the job.
The draw back is you will have 2" less Z travel unless you do something about that.
Old Thu 06 October 2011, 11:49
tjlee337

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
6x10.5x10' c channel

I found someone selling 6x10.5x10' and wondering whether this can be used for x beam. I know that it is about 4lb/ft less than suggested metal. Any feed back is appreciated.
Old Thu 06 October 2011, 11:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Your going to be short on the vertical height needed for the gantry to clear the spoil board. 2" is huge when it comes to clearance. It would be best to find a 8" member.
Old Thu 06 October 2011, 12:03
tjlee337

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
Oh well, It was such a good deal I thought it might work. I'll keep on looking. Thanks Sean.
Old Thu 06 October 2011, 13:21
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
hey tjlee!

I've got a build not too far from you going in glendora. My suggestion is to hit up IMS in Riverside. very large place, will have everything you need and reasonable prices.

I paid about 200 bucks 2 months ago for 2 11 ft 8-inch C channel.

Another option in the area is Ramcast steel in Pomona, you can give them a call and check out their pricing and whether you'd have to buy the remnants. with mine, i didn't have to buy the remnants.
Old Thu 06 October 2011, 21:07
tjlee337

rancho cucamonga
United States of America
Thanks John. I'll keep in mine of those two places. Are you finished with you MM? I'm in a very tight budget and I have not started yet. I'm tying to galther the materials for table for now. I'm not in any hurry. Thanks again for you reply.
Old Fri 07 October 2011, 06:54
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
I've got the base table all welded up, the gantry is done, and the last bit of welding, the y car, i'm doing this weekend. rails have been attached but not ground down. I have all the stuff for the control box but not assembled, so almost there! If you want a visit in the next couple of weeks when I have more progress let me know.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts