MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 July 2011, 06:55
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
And another little clock for the BOSS

DSC00296.JPG
Old Sun 24 July 2011, 08:26
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Bribing the boss to let you go to Vegas? Nice Kobus
Old Sun 24 July 2011, 10:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
You caught me out there Normand.
Old Sun 31 July 2011, 04:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Funky Chairs needs funky color

These chairs needed a bit of colour.

DSC00297.JPG
Old Sun 31 July 2011, 05:30
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Man those are great !! I like the color !!
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 08:29
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Kobus

Maybe this has already been covered, if you plan to visit more than two National Parks ( there are 6 or 7 near Moab ) you should get a yearly pass. It costs about $50 (USD), otherwise it could cost between $20 and $30 for each park.

Also, like me, if your over 62 you can get a lifetime pass for $10 if your a citizen of the US. I'll check today and see if non-US citizens also qualify. Not knowing how old you, you might not qualify any way. You look much younger than I in any case.

Dave
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 09:42
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Dave, Thank's for that info. Problem is I don't qualify for either criteria....only 52 years young and not USA citizen... but will also check to see if I can get a pass for $50.

I see the pass is $80.00 and available for everybody...hope that includes me.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Mon 01 August 2011 at 09:51..
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 11:51
skillalot
Just call me: Sascha

Gelderland
Netherlands
Well come on Kobus, show us your nice Magazine Rack,
I know you're already started on it, didn't you

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/july-2011/magazine_rack.htm

Last edited by skillalot; Mon 01 August 2011 at 11:54..
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 13:44
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ha ha..I wanted to do it this past weekend, but had to sand those 2 chairs...man I hate doing finishing on projects...I want to cut cut and cut..
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 23:02
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Very nice Kobus, the chairs will come in handy with spring season almost there, do they sit comfortable.
What I would like to do but not always do with flat sheet material is to sand the surface before cutting, then only the cut corners are left to sand, but as I say I forget sometimes

all your work looks good man! how is Uncle Ray comming along with his MM
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 05:48
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Koning, I do sand the flat surface before the time, but I had a lot of hairs on the insides. When you cut the ply, the layer that is in line with the cutting is clean, but every alternative layer is cross grain and I had a lot of rubbish here.

Uncle Ray is BANG of his machine. He keeps on asking me for a manual...something that does not exist. I told him that the machine is setup and ready to go....he must now sit in from of the thing and play with it to get the FEEL. But I am confident that he will get there...slowly
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 07:36
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
My advice on plywood, cut it in passes climb mill and leave 0.2mm (allowance setting in aspire) use 5x5mm tabs all over the place if curved alot, then copy the toolpath (to keep the tab positon) make a new endmill with pass depth as deep as your material is and set allowance to 0.0 and use conventional cut direction, leave tabs thinner like 3mm or something. Edge is super smooth and no rubbish at all. It cleans it up all.
It works for me on 10mm 12mm and 15mm ply. Cut production time of some parts which required sanded edges more than half.
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 10:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Danilo, I must go that way because I wasted about a full day sanding, and it's not perfect
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 10:34
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Been there, look at these curves, sanding paradise !

done 10 of these and spent full day doing the edges and only 1h cutting. After using the above technique, it added some machining time (~15min) but edge cleanup was a breeze, just some work with file to remove the leftover tabs.
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 12:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks again...never to old to learn. I don't mind the extra cutting time...I love to watch the machine when it is cutting.
Old Sun 07 August 2011, 06:19
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok Sascha here it comes...

At my local Woodworkers Association our motto is

ENJOY
LEARN
SHARE.

I thought it would be nice to add it to the Magazine Rack.

DSC00299.JPG

DSC00300.JPG
Old Sun 07 August 2011, 06:31
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Very nice!
Old Sat 13 August 2011, 11:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This HALFTONE thing is nice to play with... Thank's to the brilliant brains that was able to make a program like this. I took some trial and error, but today after nearly 4 hours of drilling little holes I have this to show.

My little PENSION-EATER.....Pierre's picture taken in B/W and dumped into this program.
Piece of scrap particle board with a mat black coat of water based textile paint...from the missus.

DSC00303.JPG

DSC00304.JPG
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 05:21
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Very Nice Kobus!

you can save time by using the dot size range dialog, with a little tweaking of the minimum values there all the holes around the face dissapear from gcode. A real timesaver.
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 06:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Wow I will try that sometime...must play with it more. Thank's for the tip.
If I understand it, only the area around the face part will be HOLED...all the rest around the face will be SOLID.
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 12:09
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
yes, lets say you use holes from 0.4 to 2mm diameter, if the area around the face is white the holes will be of the smallest diameter, so if you use dot sizing range dialog to limit output to holes from 0.5 to 2mm it will effectively remove the smallest holes, it also means any area that is pure white will be hole less too. After trial error I settled to 0.45 as the optimal value for no holes in pure white.

To accomplish this you need to tweak the image a little with a photo editing software, in photoshop for example you can use the magic wand button to remove a homegeneus background

Check the attached images, if I knew this tip before doing my last video (posted in the halftone thread) the image with the white background would have generated gcode with almost 35% less holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nane_resize.jpg (108.8 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg Nane2_resize.jpg (92.9 KB, 719 views)
Old Mon 22 August 2011, 06:10
alfred_j_kwak
Just call me: Jussi

Hämeenlinna
Finland
About motors

Hi Kobus,

Just purchasing parts for my project and I noticed that You used UIM24004 drivers. Are You still using those Motion King 34HS9801 motors without gears?

-Jussi-
Old Mon 22 August 2011, 09:54
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Yes Jussi and VERY happy with the combination
Old Mon 22 August 2011, 14:11
alfred_j_kwak
Just call me: Jussi

Hämeenlinna
Finland
Thank You.
I already ordered drives and then started to think...always the best way to handle matters.

-Jussi-
Old Sat 10 September 2011, 08:43
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Very busy at work...it's interfering with my MM time.

We had our annual East Rand Woodworkers Fair today.

Greg from CNCDIRECT.co.za kindly brought his small CNC so that we could show the people what CNC woodworking is....Thank's Greg for the effort...much appreciated.

Then Hennie turned up.

And finally two of the three Cheval mirrors that I helped in making was on display.

With me travelling to Margate last weeken for a funeral and Monday to Thursday in East London for work I never got around to do the engraving for another garden bench. So on Thursday evening my flight landed and around 19h30 I started cutting the slats. My friend went home and put it together that same night so that he could show it today.

DSC00305.JPG

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00311.JPG
Old Sat 10 September 2011, 19:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
You sure have some nice work there Kobus!
Old Sat 24 September 2011, 09:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
After a hectic 3 weeks of funerals, work and woodworking shows I managed to get old BBB to make some dust today.

Last week my GARDEN ENGINEER came to me and said '4 chair 1 table' Well he is a man of few words, but I gathered that his shack is without a table and chairs.

I contacted my friend that is VERY GOOD in drawing things...and told him my sad story. As quick as a flash I had my DXF file. The catch was to make something from offcut ply that I had. They are 330mm wide by 2200mm long.

5.JPG

DSC00312.JPG

DSC00313.JPG

I think he will be a happy man one of these day's.

Thank's Fabrice, the smile say it all.
Old Fri 25 November 2011, 10:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Anybody seen or used one of these Wadkin CNC Routers. Has a Bosch Alpha Controller...that is bust. Plan to buy it and fit modern parts to it.

Wadkin CNC.jpg
Old Fri 25 November 2011, 12:22
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
watch out for the heavy Z axis, it might not be suited for some 3D work.
Large routers are declared by some manufacturers not for carving. They are best working with large profiling bits.
Old Sat 26 November 2011, 03:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The size of the table is also small compared to the size of the footprint on the floor. IMHO they took an old-fashioned pin (or copy) router and then added a motorised table to it.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read