MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 23 October 2008, 07:30
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Great photo guys!!
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 13:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, I flew over that hole 2 hours ago, on the way back from Jo'burg.
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 13:53
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...boy I bet your arms are tired!
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 14:01
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
When are you doing the North American Inspections? I want to make sure my machine is done in time.
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 14:02
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Okay then . . . . I sat over that hole.

Does that sound better?
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 14:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, you are safe for a looong time.
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 22:23
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
That hole is where my great grandfather planted carrots....

Sat over the hole...that sounds even worse
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 22:57
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
We need to talk a little bit about culture today!
Blue looks nice on a machine but it looks 'exhaust product' on a Rugby Jersey!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SharksE.jpg (34.7 KB, 364 views)
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 23:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I am PROUD of you Johan keep up the correct support..that is my team as well..born and bred a "piesang boer"
Old Sat 25 October 2008, 15:34
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Congrats to the Piesang Boere on the win today, they were deserving winners, being a Province Boytjie at least it went to a coastal team
Old Sat 25 October 2008, 23:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Alan it was a tough final.
Old Sun 26 October 2008, 01:24
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks Alan! It was a sweet victory I nearly had a heart attack when they lost the broadcast link during the match. Luckly the radio was on standby! The 'Blue Bull" fans were nowhere to be seen afterwards in our residential area!
Old Thu 30 April 2009, 16:49
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald (and all my other South African friends),

My brother traveled to SA recently and LOVED it. He sent an email to my mother and told her that it is his favorite place on earth. He's lived and traveled all over the globe so that's a huge compliment. I'm not sure exactly where he went but I believe it was a wine producing area. My mom couldn't remember the name but she said it sounded German. Eventually, I'll get a chance to speak with him and I'll let y'all know where he was.

Also, I wanted y'all to know that I haven't stopped checking in with this forum. I retired from the Army in Jan and I've been job hunting and working on my house but I try to log in once or twice a week to see if I have any PMs. If I can help anyone, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, I bought an old Army jeep that I'm restoring.

Thanks again Gerald. You'll always be my hero.
Old Thu 30 April 2009, 22:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That "german" wine producing area must be Stellenbosch. (Actually Dutch origins)

that's the town where I was born and where I studied engineering - it is about 25 miles east of Cape Town

Hey, good to hear from you again Doug!
Old Fri 01 May 2009, 04:16
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Doug,

You are back as a leerker....... just the other day, I was wondering why we haven't heard from you. Good luck on finding a job and contragulations on your retirement.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 08:37
wobblybootie
Just call me: Tim

Poole
United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to wobblybootie Send a message via Yahoo to wobblybootie
Info for earlier part of thread

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking and reading everything I can while attempting to make space for my build (a slow process) but I have aquired some steel and I may well start with the rails... meanwhile...

We Brits seem to have a had a penchant for rubbing folks up the wrong way during our Colonial past. I think that at one time or another we have managed to pi*s just about everyone off!!

In reference to this post:
Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant (9 December 1864 – 27 February 1902) was an Anglo-Austrailian, horseman, poet and soldier whose renowned skill with horses earned him the nickname "The Breaker." Articulate, intelligent, and well-educated, he was also a published poet and became one of the better-known "back-block bards" of the 1890s, with the bulk of his work appearing in "The Bulletin" magazine.
During service in the Second Boer War, Morant was a Lieutenant in the Bushvelt Carbineers and was responsible for the summary execution of several Boer prisoners and a German missionary, Daniel Heese, who had been a witness to the shootings. His actions led to his controversial court martial for murder; his death warrent, was personally signed by the British commander in South Africa, Lord Kitchener, although he subsequently denied the issuance of it. Morant was executed for murder by a contingent of Cameron Highlanders (a regiment of the British Army) in Pretoria gaol on 27 February 1902. He was used as a scapegoat for British Policy.
In the century since his death, Morant has become a hero in Australia. His story has been the subject of several books and a major Australian film. Even during his lifetime, there was a great deal of conflicting information about this romantic but elusive figure, much of what we 'think' we know about him relies on what he, himself, told people - thus many of the stories about him are undoubtedly apocryphal.

My better half and I have often thought about emigrating to warmer parts. She is a Podiatrist and will soon qualify as a Podiatric Surgeon. Most Countries mainly Commonwealth or former Commonwealth will take her, but not me I am classed as a potential burden for their medical systems. Not forgetting the poxy UK Goverment would stop my War Pension thereby halving our income. Ho Hum, where's my Umbrella and wellies
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 09:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tim, the name "Boer War" is no longer politically correct out here, but everyone knows what you mean. My father's side was Brit and my mother's side was Boer, so I can tell the following little bit of nonsense . . .

During that war, the Boer's guerilla tactics had the Brits in disarray - whereas the Brits started the war wearing red tunics so as to hide signs of blood, they ended the war wearing khaki coloured trousers so as to hide signs of . . . . . . .
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 10:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
What is the politically correct term then? Or is this a subject that is not easily discussed?
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 11:19
wobblybootie
Just call me: Tim

Poole
United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to wobblybootie Send a message via Yahoo to wobblybootie
Gerald,

Indeed lol hehe.

Our presence in India also helped to give the world Anglosised Currys as well as Khaki.

However at that time we Brits also invented (To our everlasting shame)the 'Concentration Camp' and the Boer also gave us the term, 'Commando'.

As a retired 'Royal Marines Commando' I for one am very proud to have been able to use it. There are plenty of other Marine Corps but I am unaware of any other Corps that offically has that word as part of their title (I feel I am about to be proved wrong) LOL.

I am amazed that such a huge part of SA's history should not be PC unless it is associated (sp) with Apartheid, which is a bit of a long and tenious link and should be perhaps aimed more at the recent end of colonial rule and the failure then to make amends.

I think I shall shut up. Politics is perhaps best not discussed as things can be taken out of context too easily and hurt caused when there was no intention to do so.

I will however continue to believe that the GB has managed to cause some of the worlds most wide ranging and long lasting (in the words of Clint Eastwood) Cluster F**ks!!

Last edited by wobblybootie; Mon 04 May 2009 at 11:27..
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 12:24
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The "South African War" is the preferred term these days as that war was not exclusively Anglo (Brit) vs Boer.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/hi...ves-260905.htm

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/ch...rationcamp.htm

The term Anglo-Boer War is not regarded as offensive, just not conveying the full picture.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 12:40
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Having googled the names a bit more, I realise I may have the wrong end of the PC stick here. . . .
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 19:42
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
The other night, I watched Breaker Morant again on TV for what was probably the 50th time. Outstanding film.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 23:20
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I do not want to go into much depth about this topic. There is still a lot of bad feeling among the older people in our country. The film of Breaker Morant is typical holywood. Not much true in it. My grand father was a Cape rebel. I did a lot of research on the topic and can write a lot of things about the war. As a matter of fact I am currently busy writing a book about my grand father's expierence. He used a alias 'Johannes Strydsman' when the Brittish captured him to hide his true identity. Strydsman means warrior.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 23:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Lex, last night I found this thesis which may interest you.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 01:52
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks Gerald! It will give me something new to read in bed before I go to sleep.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 04:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Johan, that thesis is in lots of parts (separate files on the www), but you should see an index in the left column if you are using Acrobat Reader, and you can click to the next part from there.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 20:42
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

My sister-in-law just flew in from Kenya and we got to visit tonight. You called it correctly. They stayed in Stellenbosch. She went to SA for some kind of training and thought it was so wonderful that she called my brother after one day and told him he HAD to fly down there. Tonight she gushed for at least 30 minutes about how great SA is. She said it is absolute paradise and the steak she ate one night was the best she had ever had. I believe she told me they visited the Asara winery. Then again when she was leaving, she talked about how beautiful Capetown and SA is. She said they'd love to live there and are definitely going back for a vacation.

I sure hope I can visit one day.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 21:09
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
We will invite you to the "MechMate Center" for training, then you can claim a tax deduction when you visit.
Old Mon 25 May 2009, 00:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I am posting this here because it has to do with our South African issues. Why must one always being ripped-off by dealers. My BlackBerry battery is starting to play up. It is a C-S2 type for the BlackBerry Curve. Phoning around the prices in South Africa is beteen R 500.00 - R650.00 (about $58.00 - $76.00.

Searching the internet I got a price of $ 1.67 on the Amazon site .... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...chant&v=glance

The postage is a bit high, but man what a big difference in price.

I wonder how much it will be for somebody in America to order 2 x C-S2 batteries, pop them into a small padded envelope and post it to South Africa ?

I hate being ripped-off like this.
Old Mon 25 May 2009, 19:32
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I'll be happy to do that for you Kobus.

How many do you want? Also, I guess you need to send me a PM with your mailing address so I know how to address the envelope. When I clicked on the link, the price had dropped to $1.49!!!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read