MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 05 April 2009, 01:25
ChiknNutz
Just call me: Chris

PNW
United States of America
Out of the shadows - Pacific North West, US

I somehow missed this part of the forum. I actually got on here the first part of this past December. So, just gonna give a brief synopsis of what brought me here.

For one, I am a degreed Mech. Engr and work in Aerospace. I also own a sign shop. Have been very interested in CNC equipment for a long time now. Have worked in a couple machine shops yrs ago and have used both manual and CNC metal equipment in the past. I'm no machinist, but know my way around the shop I guess you could say.

After getting turned onto this site from a fellow signmaker, I am even more interested in building one of these. I am in a bit of a quanry at present due to the med. to high potential of being layed-off. I work for a company that is primarily an engineering firm. They got slow and subbed a bunch of us out to Boeing for the past yr and a half. Well that has dried up and they are now looking for work for me to do. They are good enough to keep me on, but not sure for how long.

Anyway, enough of that...but understand that I want to do this, but I must be cautious of funds to due uncertainty of being employed or not. I hate to do stuff on the cheap, so often times won't do it at all if I am forced to go the cheap route. So, I may be lurking for a while longer until things solidify more...but who knows. Wanted to officially say HI and that I really like what I see here. Thanks a lot for this site and the support that it offers.
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 02:38
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I somehow missed this part of the forum. . . .
You only missed it because it wasn't there! I created this "Introduce yourself" part of the forum about 3 days ago only, and moved some threads into it.

We had a lot of folk coming onboard, but not actually building anything, so they didn't really qualify for the Project started, but not cutting yet forum. That forum has now been renamed Construction started, but not cutting yet
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 02:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Chris, I hope that everything goes well for you on the job front.
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 04:24
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chris,

I had the same problem happen to me. I use to develop software for Simulators for DOD. We ran out of work and my company shipped me off to St. Louis to work on one of Boeings projects. I was there a year. I saw the writting on the wall and was able to find another job before the pink slip came.

These are much different times. It is good you are looking forward... Good luck with your build.
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 07:44
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Chris,

I'm about to complete my MechMate. I'm retired and I also looked for ways to cut costs without sacrificing quality. I built my own power supply...small savings. I also found some used Vexta Motors on ebay...saved about $1000. I used some surplus steel for the main beams and recycled steel for the cross bracing...small savings. My total cost will be about $4000. It would have been about $5000 without the savings.

I hope all goes well for you in the employment area...and you're able start your build soon. It's a great machine and this is a great Forum!
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 00:45
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Chris,

Good luck with your build and job. I'm also in the PNW and work in aerospace, and it's one bumpy ride. I have always had an interest in sign making -- particularly carved and gilded ones -- and hope be in the business some day. I've been planning my MM for a couple months now, and am just getting started.

Hope you're able to start yours soon too...I may need the help!

John
Old Sat 02 May 2009, 14:48
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Also in the PNW

Hi Chicknutz and buibui. I just got the go-ahead from my beloved (hereinafter referred to as "The finance minister" to build).

I'd be very interested in following the lead of DeadGuy, ForksDad and Dragonfinder1 in doing a group build.

I don't know where you are located, but I am located about 40 minutes west of Olympia.

Anyone interested in a collaborative build? I think we could save a few bucks via group purchase as well as potentially skip a few missteps. My shop is dry and probably adequately large to build 2 or 3, but not especially well-equipped, nothing like those lucky folks in Oregon.
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 21:19
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
PNW Group Build

Lumberjack:

Any takers on the group build concept? I am on Whidbey Island and have just ordered the laser cut parts as part of the group put together by Travish. I have started the process of getting the steel for the base from Everett Steel and will let you know what they are quoting if that is helpful. I am planning on building a 96 x 48 table.

Joe
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 22:20
lumberjack_jeff

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Hi Joe,
Nope, no takers.

I have all my stuff now (except paint) and am slowly putting it together. It would have been really cool to have a local mentor and/or someone to work with. I'll muddle through. I'm a couple of hours from you, but if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note. As my build progresses, you're welcome to come by and check it out too.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 10:34
stefn
Just call me: Stefn

Tacoma, WA
United States of America
New to the Tacoma area and looking for help!

Hey all. I see there are some fellow CNC hobbiests in here.

Although I do like MechMate design, it is WAY too large for my needs. I want to build a smaller bench top machine ~36"x48". I've done tons of research on many sites and I'm ready to start. I could use some help on where I can scrounge for build parts on the cheap. screws, rails, rack, pinions, belts, pulleys whatever. Perhaps even enlist one of you to help me cut some custom parts to get me started.

I look forward to learning and sharing with you!
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 11:48
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Stefn, Welcome, but if you have the space I would suggest building a normal MM. The cost in building is more in the motor / electronic parts I think than the steel for the table. You can cut small things with a big table and the day you want to cut something bigger, the machine is available to do just that.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 12:27
lumberjack_jeff

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefn View Post
Although I do like MechMate design, it is WAY too large for my needs. I want to build a smaller bench top machine ~36"x48".
If you do decide to build small, build your gantry so that it spans the long (48") axis. You can then easily build another table if your needs change.
Old Mon 04 January 2010, 23:46
stefn

Tacoma, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack_jeff View Post
If you do decide to build small, build your gantry so that it spans the long (48") axis. You can then easily build another table if your needs change.
Interesting concept. I hadn't thought of that but it would allow for future upgrades. I can tell you this though. I'm in a rental property and I have allot of 'stuff' in the garage. But a bench top sized unit would be ideal.

On a tangent though, is there a good scrap dealer I could visit in the area? Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle -doesn't matter but I would like to stay within an hour drive or so.

Thanks in advance for your feed back
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 07:52
lumberjack_jeff

Montesano, WA
United States of America
I really don't have any good suggestions for a scrap dealer. In the end, I bought all my steel shapes from Chehalis Steel, and my laser cut parts from MechMate member Castone.

"Benchtop" is not a good description for a MechMate. Even a machine with a 48" x 36" travel will still be ~ 80" x 63" footprint - not including space to walk around.

... although....

It'd be intriguing to think about a MechMate placed against a wall with the workpiece vertical. A 48" x 96" machine could be built with a roughly 120" x 30" footprint. If you move the y-carriage up out of the way when not in use, the machine only takes up 20" of floor space. Small enough to fit in most garages without evicting the car.

A good vacuum system (or at least securely screwing the workpiece to the "table") would be a requirement, I guess. But the other engineering challenges seem doable. The z-spring is gone - replaced with a y-carriage counterweight, and the gantry vertical load could be carried by wheels at the top.

Last edited by lumberjack_jeff; Tue 05 January 2010 at 08:02..
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 08:02
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I thought of doing a 'Murphy Bed" type arrangement, but it too has challenges.

Even in a 'standard garage' it would take about 2'x10' along a wall. The car would still be 'evicted' whenever it was in use.
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 13:08
jeffh
Just call me: Jeff #21

Bellingham WA
United States of America
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffh
Hi Stefn,
I used to live in Seattle and a place that I can highly recommend is Pacific Iron and Metal
on 4th ave. South in the SoDo area (South of Safeco field). They have all kinds of scrap metal and the big bonus is that they have all kinds of other crazy surplus items that you
might find useful as well.
You might also try OnlineMetals.com; You can order from them online and pick the material up in Seattle if you want to save the shipping. Their yard is in Seattle but I don't know if they have a walk-up retail space. They do, however, have quite a selection of metals and shapes/sizes to choose from.
Good luck with your build no matter what style you choose!
Old Tue 05 January 2010, 22:45
stefn

Tacoma, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
Hi Stefn,
I used to live in Seattle and a place that I can highly recommend is Pacific Iron and Metal
on 4th ave. South in the SoDo area (South of Safeco field). They have all kinds of scrap metal and the big bonus is that they have all kinds of other crazy surplus items that you
might find useful as well.
You might also try OnlineMetals.com; You can order from them online and pick the material up in Seattle if you want to save the shipping. Their yard is in Seattle but I don't know if they have a walk-up retail space. They do, however, have quite a selection of metals and shapes/sizes to choose from.
Good luck with your build no matter what style you choose!
Thanks for the tip Jeff.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 08:33
lumberjack_jeff

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by servant74 View Post
I thought of doing a 'Murphy Bed" type arrangement, but it too has challenges.

Even in a 'standard garage' it would take about 2'x10' along a wall. The car would still be 'evicted' whenever it was in use.
"Your car leaves the garage when I'm working." is an easier sell to SWMBO than "Your care leaves the garage."
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 10:28
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Swmbo?
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 10:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
She Who Must Be Obeyed!
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 12:39
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ohhhh.... that explains it, I dont have one of those at home. In our house then it must be HWMBO.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 20:16
stefn

Tacoma, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Ohhhh.... that explains it, I dont have one of those at home. In our house then it must be HWMBO.
We all say that to our buddies at the bar. But we know the truth in our hearts. LOL

On a different note. I've decided to go in a different direction as a design. Can I perhaps count on one of you to assist me w/ some light aluminum mill work?
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 20:22
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Yeah I know, but SHE does not read this forum. Thank God.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read