MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 09 August 2008, 12:34
edmond
Just call me: ed

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Alan

My other machine is going well but it only has a bed size of 2' x 4' and has a max rapid speed of 30mm/sec thus I am started to plan the building of a MechMate.I want to mainly cut aluminium and acrylic which both come in a 4' x 8' sheet size.I operate a Multicam at work so want similair cutting feeds which the MechMate can achieve from what I have read on this site
Old Sat 16 August 2008, 12:23
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Almost there!!!

. . . . . When I got my 20 tooth pinions, the guy I got them from didn't know much about what he was selling. Anyway, can someone identify this thing? It is 33 mm in diameter. I doesn't appear to be metric or U.S. inch stardard. Can anyone shed some light on this weird pinion?

Old Sat 16 August 2008, 15:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Before we guess which gear that is, how wide and tall is the rack?
Old Sat 16 August 2008, 15:05
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That could be a metric module 1.5 with the rack being 17 x 17mm?
Old Sat 16 August 2008, 17:24
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Gerald, the rack is measured at 16 X 16mm. The place I went to buy it specializes is making custom pullies (maybe custom belt drive?), pinions, gears, racks, and sprockets. They acutually have the equipment to cut a blank from round stock and make whatever gear you need on-site. However, I was surprised when the man told me that the pinion I wanted was a standard, but he didn't know anything else. Believe me, I was scratching my head on the way out with four pinions and eight 1-meter long pieces of rack.
Old Sat 16 August 2008, 21:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Your gear pitch is definitely metric module 1.5. In the spreadsheet (Gear Speed Steps Freq Calculator.xls) you downloaded, change Module Number to 1.5. It should work quite well.
Old Wed 20 August 2008, 20:07
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Gerald, thank you for the info on my rack and pinion numbers. Have I got the wrong rack and pinions? Should I go back to get "Module 1" instead of using Module 1.5. Will there be any difference in the performance. Will my machine run rougher?
Old Wed 20 August 2008, 20:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
David, I think your machine will run pretty well with that module 1.5 rack/pinion. Anything less than 20 teeth starts getting a bit rough.

Most of us are using around 30 teeth, and we then have the option to go to a smaller pinion for a finer/smoother cut (you don't have that option with the 1.5 module).

You are lucky in that you have the OM motors with the 7.2 gearboxes. If you had direct drive motors, that module 1.5 would not have worked.

You do have the benefit of a bigger/thicker/stronger/deeper gear tooth than the rest of us. In fact, I think you have a slightly better technical solution.
Old Thu 21 August 2008, 08:49
liaoh75

Taibao
Taiwan
Gerald, thanks for the input on my rack/pinion. I read up almost every day and I don't know how you run a business and answer everyone's questions so quickly.
Old Tue 14 October 2008, 15:33
hoops1888
Just call me: hoops

newry
United Kingdom
Rack & Pinion Supplier in the UK?

Hi guys im abaout to start to build my machine in Ireland and im lookin to know if there are any suppliers in the UK that are reasonably priced for the rack and pinion setup... Thanks in advance.
Tom
Old Tue 14 October 2008, 20:06
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
If you will search the forum, I seem to recall someone in the UK building a Mechmate and I also recall him talking about buying a rack and pinion.

Good luck with your build.
Old Sun 09 November 2008, 19:23
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi All,

First off I must thank Gerald for the great plans, wonderful Forum and all the help he gives. This is a great project and no one could ask for better "Technical" support, not even for a purchased product.

I have been lurking the forums for a long time and its time to try to get the materials together to start building. I am trying to get together the hard to find items first so that I don't get stuck later on.
My build will be reasonable large and I will require a total of 10 meters of rack. I have got a few quotes and the best one so far is AU$160 per 2 meter length of metric rack and pinions are AU$20 each. I am fairly certain from what I have been reading here that this is a little expensive.
So now to the question, is there anyone out there that is willing to get the rack and pinions sent to them and then repackage them and send them to me in Australia?
I was thinking that they would probably need to be placed into a PVC tube with endcaps and some paper or such stuffed in there to protect them al I would hate them to get here and find them damaged. Then sent regular post to try and keep the costs down a bit.
Along with the rail I would also like to get 4 of the 24 tooth pinions (metric).

If there is anyone interested in helping out please let me know or if you feel that the $900 for the rack and pinions is OK let me know and I will decide from there.

Thanks,

Jayson.

Last edited by Jayson; Sun 09 November 2008 at 19:29..
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 00:37
Appimate
Just call me: Ed

NSW
Australia
Stuff to Oz

Hello Jason

Goodluck on your quest, I haven't build a MM but it looks the bees knees, the forum members are helpful and a great resource.

I have used a Elwood Beauchamp ( elwooddbeauchamp@gmail.com ) to bring stuff in for me from the States, he basically charges USPS costs plus US$15.00 to pack, he will combine shipments from various suppliers into one box to get the best rate, the downside is the length of the shipment, for Airmail it is 1167mm.

I have bought in LCL loads ( Less than Container Loads ) by sea and the rates to get them here are very reasonable, the KILLER is the port and Gov' charges, all I did was to open my wallet and give it to them, for what they did and how long it took it was just theft!!.

You could have two options ( 3rd if buy local - FYI, I recently bought some toothed belts from Econobelts in the States but mis ordered one, the correct one was US$26.00, add US$25.00 to get it here and the cost is about AU$80.00, I rang Pies in Vic today for a price, they will make one for me ( it's a long belt ) for AU$168.00, pricey but OK, then the saleman telod me they will only do specials in 2 or more, so it becomes $336.00 + $15.00 to get it her, roughly the same lead time ) 1st is try a courier and get a quote, will be high but might still be cheaper, or two, try and find an importer who will bring it in for you.

Good luck with your build.

Ed
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 03:24
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks for the advice Ed.

Hopefully I will get something sorted out. This looks like a great machine and it would be a pitty to not be able to build it but without racks it won't work too well. I have thought of using toothed belt and might have to but I would like to build it as close to designed as possible if I could.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 08:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ed and Jayson, see this post.
Old Tue 11 November 2008, 22:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ed & Jason, I may have some news for you . . . .

The racks we use here Cape Town are actually imported from Italy. I asked the Italian company if they have a stockist of our typical size/spec in Australia. They suggested http://www.mecco.com.au/
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 00:27
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks Gerald,

I will get in contact with them tomorrow and see what they say.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 17:23
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks for the contact Gerald.

Unfortunately they also quote AU$120 per meter. So looks like I will have to rethink my plans.

I have not received a reply from Standard steel so it looks line only Rich Australians will be building Mechmates

Thanks for the help.

Jayson.
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 17:38
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Its me again

Just got a Quote from TEA transmissions here in the land of lots of cash and they have quoted the Mod 1 racks at AU$114.20 per 2 meter length, and Pinions at AU$26.29 each. I am thinking this may have to do as I have ran out of options, although I could try machining my own rack on my converted mill

Maybe not.

This slight increase in project cost will mean a delay before I get going as I need to collect some more aluminium cans and hope the price of aluminium scrap rises...

I will keep you up to date with my proceedings.

Regards,

Jayson

Boss... Boss... How about a pay rise???...
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 21:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I think the solution is staring you in the face . . . . . become a rack importer/distributor and get rich quick!

Would be very interested to hear what the Italians will quote you to send 10 lengths of 2m rack. If you were trying Std Steel, you might as well try chiaravalli@chiaravalli.it as well.
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 23:00
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks Gerald,

I have sent an email to the Italians. Hopefully they will understand my email and realize what a terrible ordeal it is to get rack in Australia and reply.

Just out of curiosity, how many Mechmates have been built in Australia that you know of?

Maybe I should import a container load of rack and flood the market...

Jayson.
Old Wed 12 November 2008, 23:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Not even one MM in Australia comes to mind now - maybe everyone is waiting for you to bring down the prices of the imported components?
Old Fri 14 November 2008, 19:03
CNCQuest
Just call me: WT

Quezon City
Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by liaoh75 View Post
Gerald, the rack is measured at 16 X 16mm. The place I went to buy it specializes is making custom pullies (maybe custom belt drive?), pinions, gears, racks, and sprockets. They acutually have the equipment to cut a blank from round stock and make whatever gear you need on-site. However, I was surprised when the man told me that the pinion I wanted was a standard, but he didn't know anything else. Believe me, I was scratching my head on the way out with four pinions and eight 1-meter long pieces of rack.
David,

I am still studying all the MM drawings and researching where to get all those hard to find items that are not available here. One of those are the racks and pinions and water-cooled spindle.

Can you tell me how much it costs you for the rack and pinion as well as the spindle? Also, can you email me the name and address of the company who did the rack and pinion for you?

Thanks,
WT
Old Tue 25 November 2008, 05:14
Oleks
Just call me: Oleks

Poltava
Ukraine
Hello Viperia. About racks. I have same problem currently. Have you got the racks? Where from?
I send request to Chiaravalli, they redirected me to ukrainian dealer and that was twice more than usual 25-30euro (per 2m). Now looking somewhere else. Thou Chiaravalli has quite reasonable prices in Czeck Republic - 30910200-1-1879 OZ.HŘEBEN CHT M 1 Q15 MM 2000 - 593,00 ks (http://chiaravalli.inshop.cz/inshop/ , search "HŘEBEN")
You have in Sweden this supplier as well - http://www.mekanex.se/. (sells BEAs racks.)
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 01:48
Nikonauts
Just call me: Nikonauts

Johore
Malaysia
I'm having talks with Deitech from Hong Kong in having them supplying us racks and pinions from China. Will update soon.

Those in the asia pacific hold on for a while ya.
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 09:04
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Nik, Dietec can also supply timing pulleys - belts -steppers drivers, steppers, spindles -

basically you can put together the whole electronics together using them - rack and pinion is added advantage - i did not know they dealt with that too

basically I like the interaction and support and response they gave to my emails. thats why I recomend them - I have test their spindle yet though.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 09:58
Nikonauts
Just call me: Nikonauts

Johore
Malaysia
hi Irfan,
when i was shopping for the electronics i was shying away from them because their website doesn't list price and the catalogs look "unfinished", plus it doesn't work with firefox.
Now i know that i just have to ask a lot.
having a spindle must be great. lucky you!
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 10:37
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
http://www.stappenmotor.nl/Steppermotor/Index_Eng.html

This is their european website - they have most of it here -

RGDS
Irfan
Old Sun 01 February 2009, 11:22
Barman
Just call me: Bart #36

antwerpen
Belgium
Some prices in europe:

* Tea-hamburg.de
http://www.tea-hamburg.de/

They also sell the V-wheels and bushes
(Fuhrungsrader / Exzentrische Adapter-Buche / Fuhrungsschienen)
They sent me their entire catalog without that I asked it .
Weighs approximately 3.5 kg . Nice !!

http://www.tea-hamburg.de/uploads/tx...en_2008_01.pdf
2m Rack - module 1-10 2000 ST
2m Zahnstange 15x15x1998, Stahl C40/C45
Price 43,10 Euro excluding VAT
Shipping cost to Belgium = 45euro

* Chiaravallie.fr -> Paris
After 2 weeks waiting still no price received.

*Local Businesses:

* Act in Time:
Great website with prices excluding VAT
http://www.actintime.be/nl/producten...nderdelen.html
Racks : http://www.maedler.de/de/Catalog/P/1...8/907/932.aspx
Pinion : http://www.maedler.de/de/Catalog/P/1...1079/1082.aspx

This Friday I got a price of:

2m rack - c 43 - => price = 32.08 euros
4st pinion - c 45 - z = 24 => 1.84 euro / piece
4st pinion - c 45 - z = 36 => 2.88 euro / piece
I do not know if these prices include VAT.
I think I will order here .

Last edited by Barman; Sun 01 February 2009 at 11:27..
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 14:50
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald_D View Post
Our gear pinions and racks come from Chiaravalli Trasmissioni S.p.A. in Italy via a local stockist. See Spurgears and Racks on this page. Good chance they have a stockist in your country. Look for module 1 (small teeth) and 2m long (or longer) racks. All in steel. My price here is about $20 for a 2m length of rack and $2 for a 23 tooth pinion gear.

If you contact them, they might tell you if they have a stockist in your country.
Hi Gerald, I was wondering if you could help me choose the spurgear for the modul 1, 2 meter long rack. I seem to have some difficulties doing it. I know which rack but cant figure out the size for the wheel. As far as the number of teeth is concerned I hope 35 is the correct choice. Correct me if I am wrong. I am gonna use PK296AE-SG7.2 geared OM. I chose to use the same supplier. They have a distributor in Poland.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read