MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 02 February 2010, 11:04
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I was looking for some new tape and I found some duct tape that is double sided. I suspect that it would work. It is sold at Lowes in the USA and is manufactured by Shurtape.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 12:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I think that duct tape is too thin. The spongy 2mm thick stuff can accommodate the small lumps and bumps on the unground side of the angle iron.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 13:12
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
I was having a little trouble finding the 3M tape at a reasonable price. Then I stumbled on this at an Autozone store... $9.49 USD

Hopes this helps someone else.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3M Molding Tape.jpg (40.7 KB, 1379 views)
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 13:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I have seen a demo board for PL Premium construction adhesive that had about 30 different materials all bonded together. Pretty amazing stuff. You would probably have a hard time getting the racks OFF if you had to. Maybe some heat would help the removal.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 20:02
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The things that work in our favour for "sticking" the racks, with tape or glue, is the length and the huge contact area. That's why I decided to use screws for the short Z-rack. But I won't be surprised if tape/glue worked on that short rack as well.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 05:28
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
oops.

I must have read the PDF incorrectly... I am using the tape for the Z aswell.
It looks good to me so far, but my machine hasn't been run for days in a row yet.

Ries
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 05:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by riesvantwisk View Post
oops.

I must have read the PDF incorrectly... I am using the tape for the Z aswell.
It looks good to me so far, but my machine hasn't been run for days in a row yet.

Ries
Now, that is good mistake! I'll follow suit
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 06:18
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I personally used tape, not 3M, but the cheap stuff ($2 USD a roll) and it's been working great for 2 years now. With that said, I'm wondering why not use a product something like GE silicone. With the rail upside down, clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and just glue the rack in place making sure to have the 2 end bolts in place, let dry for 12 +- hours???
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 04:01
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Received this PM and felt it could serve others !

Hi Robert,

I found that you had a problem using glue (gorilla) gluing racks to angles. At the end what glue did you use? Did you use 3M VHB tape? Do you have some extra, and if you do, are you willing to sell it?

Regards Milosh

Hi Milosh,
This happened to me because two inevitable variables.
1st, the matting surface of both pieces, angle iron + mains beams are just a little too rough for this glue.
2nd, It’s a glue that does not tolerate much ( if any) air gap / space between the matting pieces.
So, I ended up buying a roll of this 3M VHB tape because it has this little thickness to it enough to tolerate this rough surfacing out of structure steel I got. Some structure steel may get to you with a baby skin surface. PLUS, I could see many other future usages for the extra left out of the 100ft roll.

This is what happened to me when I tried some of this lesser quality 2ble face tape, ONLY because I have rough surface out of my steel.

P3030016rs.jpg

In my opinion, if your stick to plan by having these rack mounted to the angle iron with screws at both ends, any descent quality adhesive or exterior silicone will do lots better job than any polyurethane glue ( gorilla is one of them), that is only once you are certain & confirmed that all is in proper position and can move to a semi-permanent position.
The beauty of the VHB tape, even if it is VERY strong bond, it can be remove and have the surfaces clean a little easier than glue or silicone even if some glue of the tape remain on the surfaces.

ONE last recommendation, if tape of silicone to be use, I opted to wait after painting was done & cured, it make it easier to clean if for some reason you need to remove to re-position !

Hope this can help you & other too,
Good luck
Amicalement, Robert
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 06:14
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Thanks Robert,

it is loud and clear.

Milosh
Old Thu 27 May 2010, 18:39
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
thoughts on this...?

On Fastenal's webpage, they list a 1.1mm VHB tape from 3M. I was curious if this would work in lieu of the 2mm that the plans call for? Is there another location where I might find this cheaper? Uline seems to be significantly more expensive. Anyone interested in buying the unused portion of the roll for a fair price?
Old Thu 27 May 2010, 19:14
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Eric,

I went to a bookstore where they sell that double sided tape.
up till today, a couple of months this just works fine.
as long as it's foamy, and is making good contact, you should be fine. The plastic type of tape doesn't work well.
Old Thu 27 May 2010, 19:52
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Eric, That's a very common request. Ask around, someone is bound to have some to sell you. HEY DOUG F. or GREG...You have any left?
Old Fri 16 July 2010, 06:29
Chapman
Just call me: chap

London
United Kingdom
I think adhesive tapes will be the best idea for it to attach...

adhesive tape manufacturer
Old Fri 16 July 2010, 08:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Why do I think that Sam of post #57 and Chap of post above are employees of Tesa tapes?

Tesa is a reputable brand and I am surprised that they feel the need to spam forums?
Old Sat 17 July 2010, 06:52
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
When I was in the construction of my MM, I bought the wrong adhesive tape. When your in the phase of attaching the racks, its pretty close to finish. In my excitement to get the beast operational, I used Gorilla Glue. I've been operating for approximately a couple of years now and the Gorilla Glue is still holding. I do have another set of rails and racks, but the original set shows no sign of wear. Just make sure you grease the pinion and rack every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Eric, That's a very common request. Ask around, someone is bound to have some to sell you. HEY DOUG F. or GREG...You have any left?
Old Sun 18 July 2010, 21:34
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
That 3M tape in post #63 is very strong. I stuck a sign onto a door with that tape and had to replace it two weeks later after the client wanted a different sign. When I tried to remove the sign I ended up with the sign in my hand along with the tape fully attached to the back of the sign and part of the door stuck to the tape. It actually held so tightly that the top layer of the door came off with the tape.
Old Fri 23 July 2010, 10:07
ahe_1990
Just call me: Adam

Birmingham
United Kingdom
3m double sided?

Hi,
I hope someone can help me,
I am looking for some 2mm double sided which 3M sells, could some help me by posting the product code. I have tried some cheap double sided but was totally useless

Adam
Old Fri 23 July 2010, 11:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
VHB 4991 is mentioned on the UK site, but suggest you give them a call at 0845 602 8083 to get an economical option.

(But, even the best of tapes won't stick if the surfaces have traces of grease, or other dirt.)
Old Mon 02 August 2010, 16:14
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I used this and it looks like it holds racks great, 10m = 7 eur
it was cheap but it says its for metal pieces. I attached piece of PCB to my desk with same tape and will try to remove it after a day or two
here is datasheet from manufacturers website, it says 0.8mm but it looks to me a bit thicker, maybe after it dryes it will shrink.
http://sicadgroup.com/contenuti/prod..._770PROFIL.pdf
Old Tue 19 April 2011, 22:13
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Source of double sided tape in australia

The following summarises discussion with Biolink, a local Vicco supplier (John Baker if you are in Queensland)
:
One 25m roll of 12mm Flexlink 1100R double sided tape initially recommended
> This tape is only 1mm thick and my plans call for 2mm thickness.
> The plans suggest any of the following from 3M's range: 4955, 4991,
> 4655, 4957, 5962, 4979, 4956, 4956F, 4016, 4026 or 4056
> Please let me know whether you have any of these that I could substitute
> for the 1100R.

Prolink 2000R recommended, described as Ultra High Bond Clear - 2mm
thick - 12mm x 16.5M
http://www.tapesonline.com.au/double...ond-clear.html

For small orders buy online at www.tapesonline.com.au. Express delivery by Australia Post.
Old Wed 20 April 2011, 02:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I said 2mm on the plans in case the C-channels were of really bad quality with dips and lumps. (A 2mm tape will absorb about 0.5mm of "roughness" I guess). You can decide if you can go thinner, or need to go thicker . . . .
Old Wed 23 November 2011, 23:00
mike nelson
Just call me: Mike #132

Vernon
Canada
Im just new with my build but i have been forum searching (reading,reading,reading) and i would like to put my 2 cents regarding this thread.......i am a bodyman and we use autobody panel adhesive to glue quarter panels and such and when applied and clamped over night there is no way you can pull it off. That is what i am going to do when i install mine.
Old Thu 24 November 2011, 15:15
oliver2257
Just call me: Stephen

Redwood City, CA
United States of America
Mike,

This looks like a great suggestion. Makes it easy to make adjustments and then clamp firmly. Have you found it critical to have very close surfaces and thin film? How critical is the heat for set up? Some epoxies will not set or get gummy (amine sheen) below 65 F.
Old Sat 26 November 2011, 09:33
mike nelson
Just call me: Mike #132

Vernon
Canada
Stephen, the bottom side of the rail could have some irregularities....the panel bonding adhesive has some body to it, to apply the temp should be no colder then 55/60 F. You can buy it at any autobody supply store.
Old Tue 24 December 2013, 17:47
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I know its been awhile since anyone has posted here, but, I found some 3M 4956 adhesive tape for $30.00 US (until gone) for 36 yards x 1" x .062" Grey at this link, http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/, I buy from these guys regularly so I feel they are trustworthy.
Old Tue 24 December 2013, 18:29
rcboats1
Just call me: Kelly

Everett (WA)
United States of America
Sold out.
Old Wed 25 December 2013, 03:26
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
wow that was quick.
Old Mon 12 May 2014, 02:54
chunkychips
Just call me: nick

Melbourne
Australia
Are people attaching the tape to a painted rail (bottom) or to bare metal. About to paint and was wondering if I should leave the bottom of the rail clean.
Old Mon 12 May 2014, 03:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I attached to clean painted rail. Those who had not painted their mm obviously direct to steel.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read