MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 June 2012, 15:38
Mr Ron
Just call me: Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
Using a chain for a rack

Using a chain is a common means of moving a trolley along a rail. The chain is tack welded to an overhead I-beam and a sprocket that is inside the trolley engages the chain. As the sprocket is turned, either by power or manually, it traverses the chain in rack fashion. My question is; can a chain be used in place of a rack for the rack and pinion drive? Racks are very expensive.
Old Sun 24 June 2012, 16:01
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Mr Ron,
It has been done and wasn't very sucessful. See this build #62.
Old Mon 25 June 2012, 08:09
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
In comparison to the rest of the build, I think the rack is one of the less expensive and more important parts.

It really isn't much off a savings to go with a chain, and your performance will suffer.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read