MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 08 April 2010, 02:25
15mgtar
Just call me: 15mgtar

anaheim
United States of America
Nema 42 Motor Size Question

I have bought the wrong motor size which are nema 42 size with 19mm shaft. Can you guys tell me which rack and pinion size to buy? I will be running mach3 in metric.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 03:05
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Ouch!
No worries, IMHO, you can still use Mod. 1 gear & rack, 24 teeth will be too small but 30teeth is big enough to cater 19mm shaft.
You need to mod the laser profile parts as well, motor mounting plates & carrier plates... Just a few that I cna think of.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 03:22
15mgtar

anaheim
United States of America
Thank you Ken, where do you buy your rack from?
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 03:38
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Deitech in Hong Kong. they are cheap but with some quality issue, which is still well worth my money.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 05:12
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
15mgtar, you have several things to check/solve before proceeding with those motors.
- Shaft size / pinion size; if you'll be happy with the final gear ratio, what the torque will be.
- Redesign of the motor plates, also clearances of the motor positions, changes in the springs.
- Drivers capable of running those motors; power (voltage/amperage) to run those drivers, speeds of the motors, etc.

Bigger doesn't always work out -> think installing a tractor motor in a motorcycle.

You might find it easier and less expensive in the long run to return or E-Bay those motors and get another set.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 05:18
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I second Brad's advise. Unless you are competent with the necessary design alteration on your own.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 08:15
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Size 42 motors may be difficult to drive if you use Gecko stepper drivers. Big motors may require expensive electronics. Big motors often run much slower than smaller motors.

I agree with Brad and Ken. Rather than redesigning the machine, it would be easier to sell the motors and get some size 34 motors that better match the design.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 18:58
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ditto on the sell and rebuy of Nema 34 motors.
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 21:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Why a stepper motor should not be too big . . . .
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 02:03
15mgtar

anaheim
United States of America
I already have the motors and the drivers . the drivers runs on 110-220vac. Selling them would be a greater lost, I'm very low on money so I just have to stick with them.
I really don't know about shaft's size/pinion size (19mm/30???maybe 34 minimal?) and final gear ration so if you guys would kindly guide me through.
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 02:39
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I recon not selling them will be a ever bigger lost.
Sell them & start over again.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read