MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 April 2014, 05:23
pixelsnprint
Just call me: Richard

Orillia
Canada
Noob from Ontario, Canada

Morning, Afternoon and Evening everyone. There I think my ass is covered, I'm totally new to CNC machining/routering (<spell check aisle 6) but I own a large format print shop where we do everything from simple Business Cards all the way to Back-lit signs and billboards. I'm hoping to expand my product offerings by adding a MechMate to allow me to get into dimensional signage. So be prepared I'm going to be asking lots of questions.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 05:38
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Good morning Richard. Welcome to the Forum.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:05
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome to the forum, Richard.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:05
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Welcome Richard...grab a cup of coffee and read, read, read!
Best
Mark
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:25
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
I'm already on my third cup and forth cigerette
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 07:05
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Put on another pot of coffee..I started my build 14 months ago, I hope to have it making dust in the next 2 weeks! It's a long road...but a great machine for the shop!
Mark
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 07:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Get a carton of ciggi.
I burnt through at least 3 cartons... & nearly a kg of coffee beans. :P
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 07:13
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Richard!
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 07:52
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
Well if I get all my ducks in a row I hope to fast track this build but the term "Fast Track" is ambiguous to say the least lol
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 15:15
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
What is the current Drawing rev#

I have a set of drawings and have been looking things over first question I have is how do I know I have the most current revisions? Is there a key drawing I should look at or spot in the package?
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 15:36
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Check to see if the spider has 6 wheels. If you have the dwgs with that then you have the latest set.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 18:46
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
KK I'll have a boo in the morning when I get into the shop Thanks...
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 18:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
also, if your drawing set has pages that reference the alternate rail method (preground vee rail caps), then you have the newest drawing package.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 20:13
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
Well guys true to my nature I couldn't wait, so I made an excuse to my wife "gee honey I should get some "TP" for the house, I'll be right back" and off to the shop I went. Seems I do have the most current drawing package....
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 02:40
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Nice little trick there Richard. I'll have to save that one for future use.
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 05:49
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ayres View Post
Nice little trick there Richard. I'll have to save that one for future use.
Tom just a word of warning don't forget the "TP" or you'll be in shit lol
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 07:16
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Whats a TP?
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 07:32
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Toilet paper...
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 07:39
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Thats funny!
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 07:54
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Now I get it !!!
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 04:27
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
stupid questions time

Let me first say I'm really eager to get building my MechMate. But my Accountant/financial source for floating my company AKA Dad. Wants a cost projection. To that end I'm trying to build a B.O.M. I found one on another forum (ODD) also thought it was odd there was not one in the plans, but hay. Anyway I'm assuming there are no issues with me taking the drawings and reworking them to round up some of the measurements like the one stating X+23.6" making it a logical 24". My main issue is even though I live in Canada it's a 50/50 chance the company you are trying to deal with has embraced the metric system.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 04:30
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
Question on prices

Talking with my local hell my only local supplier of steel I got a price of $115.00 for a 20' length of 1.92x6 channel and $147.00 for a 2.26x8 are these good prices in peoples experience? Should I start browsing the recyclers instead.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 04:52
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
You are correct to say there are no BOM provided. & it was so intentionally.
This force the builder to study the design thoroughly in the process of making up their own BOM.
as a side note, as the design can be customized easily to cater for individual needs, there are no point in having a standard BOM.

As for the rounding off the decimal points, you just have to decide what is logical & practical. you gotta decide if you want to go though the BOM again when you start building.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 05:04
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
Thanks Ken.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 05:32
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Don’t get me wrong here, but it should be you who does some of this little basic homework and ….shopping in this case….before asking any forum !
No offence intended…simple basics !
Good luck, Robert
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 05:46
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Another friendly reminder.
Please keep your questions a single threads, or you will be completely lost in the threads you created. This is not Facebook.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 05:48
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Robert,

I am sorry, I feel you are a little harsh with a simple questions about the price of steel. He is trying to get an idea if the price is in the ball park of others have paid.

I bought my steel back in 2008 and the prices are a lot different. I think some one that is more current will chime in.

Richard, what happens many times, new builders want the answered feed to them with out researching and spending time reading. All of us that completed our machines have spent lots of time reading and learning. We expect others to do the same.

Good luck with you build.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 07:31
pixelsnprint

Orillia
Canada
@ Robert M sorry for any confusion but my question was based on some initial homework I was simply looking for a frame of reference.

@ KenC I'll keep that in mind about the threads but I thought they were totally different topics hence the second thread. Oh P.S. I detest Facebook lol ( Oh look a cute kitty pic)

@ sailfi thanks for the info you're totally right that most ppl on the forum may have built their mechmate's one or more years ago so any pricing advise or comparison becomes moot.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 07:40
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Richard, even they seems like different topics, they have one thing in common, they are your questions

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read