MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 09 May 2011, 13:18
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Now that you have reduced your cutting time by a third, you are going to have to drastically improve your work holding method as the change over times will be longer than the cutting times - break out the wallet for the vacuum clamping system...
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 14:37
danhamm
Just call me: Dan

Williams Lake B.C. Canada
Canada
"No more Mr nice guy farting around with 2.8mm cuts per pass."
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 17:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hey does that mean the customer gets his work done cheaper too? I mean less machine time?
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 18:17
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Heath, surely you realize that it means the customer pays more for expedited service
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 18:39
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Hey does that mean the customer gets his work done cheaper too? I mean less machine time?
Thats a common error, the customer pays per finished job, if you know how to do it faster then you have the option to charge less or to charge the same, but its YOUR choice. In fact you can charge MORE for a faster turnaround.

I know I know, you comment was sarcastic
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 19:54
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Yeah I know guys, I just like poking at Kobus.
Old Mon 09 May 2011, 23:00
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Pay he will pay...I can do it he can't
Old Tue 10 May 2011, 00:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A very rough rule of thumb is that the pass depth can be 1.5 times bit diameter in soft material, provided that you have enough power to keep the bit turning at the right speed. A big router will manage this as well as that spindle/VFD combination you have now.
Old Tue 10 May 2011, 00:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I was always afraid of loosing steps when you push to hard. I have also noticed it because of my cheap scrapyard springs that I had on the machine for about 2 years.
I have now got the correct springs as per Gerald's spec and I must say that after my little experiment last night, I have more confidence that I can cut deeper per pass.

On the other hand I still believe that too much stress on the machine in the long run will lead to premature failures of parts and therefore will not go for MAX....will stay in the AVERAGE zone.
Old Tue 10 May 2011, 01:42
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
1 to 1.5 in soft wood is average. 2-2.5 is max
Old Tue 10 May 2011, 02:02
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I doubt the input voltage is absolutely accurate but it should not be miles off, & if the meter shows 3phase reading then I'm running 3 time over the rated power 80% of the time & if that is true, I'll down junk all non-Chinese spindle + inverters & convert everything to 1hp rated Chinese stuff religiously, that will save enough for my kid's annual school fee.

Mr. Nice-Guy-No-More, you are now bestow with extra-ordinary power
10mm per pass... hmmm... Wait till fly through wood at 180mm/sec

Anyway, every up-grade will bring new discovery, some are good, some are less desirable, eg, cutting more aggressively (because you can ) will bring many previously over-shadowed blemishes to the surface such as chatter, burnt marks, poor finishings... surely you will solve those previously hidden issues eventually & when that happened, you will see issues buried even deeper previously... Its a never ending epic journey... which makes life interesting.
Old Sun 15 May 2011, 04:09
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks to Vectric...Another of their monthly project.....just very difficult to find good quality clockworks over here.
Made the face in CORELDRAW.

DSC01777.JPG

DSC01776.JPG
Old Sun 15 May 2011, 04:29
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Kobus

It not only looks great, it is personalised with the Kobus brand.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 02:50
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Fifth driver

Hi Kobus,
Please send me some details how you manage to install the fifth driver on your board. I'm starting to upgrade the MechMate and also to build another project and both of the projects must have 4 axis.
Thank you,
Marius
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 03:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Marius, I am using the LOCAL BOB from Greg www.cncdirect.co.za
Think I can handle up to 6 steppers on this board.
Buy them and you will have no problem.

Or you can buy from me the new UIM-Robot BOB that can handle 5 steppers.
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 03:57
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Ok. Give some details about your board (pics, tech data, etc). I prefer to buy from someone I know .
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 08:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Marius, I am still testing the new BOB and will only sell if I am happy with the product.
In the meantime the BOB from Greg has been running my machine for 3 years without any problem, and I can strongly recommend it.
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 09:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I did my little girl in a piece of Australian Blackwood..a bit bigger than the last one in pine.

DSC01783.JPG
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 12:09
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
OK. I'll ask that guy about the board. Thank you.
Marius
Old Tue 17 May 2011, 09:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
IK visited one of my woodworking buddies looking for clock movements. He had some surplus stuff.
My eye caught this little one and I knew it will work with the free ships wheel file that came with Aspire.

DSC01789.JPG
Old Wed 18 May 2011, 04:13
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Great looking project there…
You keep on amazing me as for how your creative and devoted to not only show us what you do, but how devoted to our community you are…

For many, I’ll say…..
THANKS Kobus for being around and sharing your time and…nice projects

Amicalement, Robert
Old Wed 18 May 2011, 05:58
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
I am alway watching your post first ,wondering what you going to come out with next!
and it is always great .Bravo Kobus
Old Wed 18 May 2011, 06:12
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's guys.. I am fortunate to have a machine dedicated to HOBBY and EXPERIMENTING....when the odd job comes around, I will decide if I want to do it......it does helps in buying more TOOLS..

There is one more thing I want to do...a life size 3D carving.....If human it will be life size, but if I do an animal I will scale it down a bit.
With Aspire the LAYER function still needs my attention.
Old Thu 19 May 2011, 01:17
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
got this link from my buddy that helped me build my machines. http://www.divine-jones.com/
Old Thu 19 May 2011, 02:51
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Sean, Thanks for the great Link! Never thought of that before...
Old Thu 19 May 2011, 06:22
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Schematic of MACH 3 BREAKOUT BOARD

Hi Kobus,
I spoke with the company who sells the board like yours but there is a problem with the manual (dutch language)...
Please give me a schematic in order to understand how I can wire five drives on this board and other stuff.

Thank you,
Marius
Old Thu 19 May 2011, 06:43
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Here is the English version of the CNC Direct manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mach.pdf (33.3 KB, 108 views)
Old Thu 19 May 2011, 12:08
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Great looking Guitars Sean....will have a closer look.

Thank's Alan. Here is another file that show the connections for the Mach3 BOB from Greg.

PowerSupply Model (1).pdf

I was away today visiting the NAMPO show near Bothaville. 10000 times better than the pathetic Rand Easter Show that we have these day's in Johannesburg....430 km later dead tired tonight.
http://www.grainsa.co.za/nam_index.php
Old Sat 21 May 2011, 02:18
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Thank you, now it is clearer but still there is a small problem: how I should make the Mach3 settings. most likely this will be the BOB for me first I need to see how it works.
Marius
Old Sat 21 May 2011, 02:42
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This board is straight forward to setup in Mach. The numbers on the BOB corresponds to the numbers in Mach.
Setting up 4th Axis is no problem either...will help you there once you have your BOB.
The only thing is your Post Processor must change when you do indexing,,,but it is available in Aspire.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read