MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 20 January 2008, 09:24
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The front page of the mechmate website says: "The drawings used for producing our in-house MechMate CNC routers are published on this site, for free. The plans and information from this site can be used by small companies and persons to build "once-off" machines which may not be sold for profit. Please contact us if you want to produce multiple MechMate machines or components for sale."

Which results in a steady stream of e-mails and PM's from people wanting a "license" to produce the MechMate for re-sale at a profit, as a business venture.

The interesting part for me is the fact that 99.9% of the requests come from people who have never built one for themselves yet.

My response them is basically as follows:

1. First build a machine and prove that you can work to reasonable quality standards.

2. Show that you are in a position to support your clients, without relying on everyone here to do that work for you.

3. Be prepared to pay around 2.5% of sale price, or 5% of profit, whichever the higher, for a "license".

I say "license" because it will be an informal agreement. Pay the money and you get endorsement from this website as an official "approved" builder, and sales queries for your area get forwarded to you.
Old Mon 17 November 2008, 06:33
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Fair Enough - Great product.

Fair Enough - I was just asking. I like to know the ground rules. I will say again I have done my homework and this is a nice machine !!!

Mike

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read