MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 30 January 2007, 13:08
reza forushani
Just call me:

Newbie has motors turning already - Alpharetta GA

Hi everyone. I just got here and like to get started. Anyone in my area that can work with me? Can I still order one of the kits? Any info will help

Thanks and glad be with you guys.
Old Tue 06 February 2007, 19:55
reza forushani
Just call me:

Started ordering parts. So far
1. 4 Geckso's-ordered 203v
2. 4 Oriental motors
3. laser cut parts

What does everybody think of other boards from PMDX like their PMDX-131?
Old Wed 07 February 2007, 08:21
Brian_B
Just call me:

Hi Reza,

The PMDX-131 does not have a charge pump, and according to the website: (02March 07; website now states that charge pump is included; thanks Kim)

"Supports G201, G202, G210, and G212 stepper motor drivers. It does NOT support the G320 and G340 servo drivers. The PMDX-131 does not currently support the upcoming G203V drivers."

Brian
Old Wed 07 February 2007, 09:46
Gerald_D
Just call me:

I think the 203V will fit under the PMDX-131, but the LED's will be blocked and there won't be top access to the trimpot for "tuning" the drive to the motor. The 203V makes the fuses and capacitors on the PMDX-131 unnecessary.

Lack of a charge pump is a serious safety problem if you want Mach3 to stop/start the router/spindle on command. If you are manually stopping/starting the router/spindle then the charge pump is not an issue.

If you make a wiring mistake with a PMDX-122 it is not serious as the currents/voltages are low. A PMDX-131 handles big loads/currents/voltages and a mis-wire could be expensive (it needs 8 heavy wires from the power supply, and 2 from mains).
Old Wed 07 February 2007, 13:33
reza forushani
Just call me:

I talked to John at Ango and this is what I got

1st output: 70Vdc 7A rated 500W
2nd output: 9Vdc 1A rated 9W

complete with chassis, assemble, test.
Price is $125 for the first unit, and $95 each for 5 pcs and up. Shipping is $10 to USA customers. Please pay to paypal account john@ango.com.

I think this is what I am ordering.
Old Wed 07 February 2007, 15:03
reza forushani
Just call me:

Today I ordered a power supply and the PMDX card.
Next is the rails and springs
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 18:57
reza forushani
Just call me:

There are some parts which could have been included in the laser cut set but are not any reason. For example, 10-440-386, 10-40-380, 10-40-330, and M1-30-123?

The PDF drawing for gantry shows 2 motors, unless I am reading wrong but pictures show one?

How many bearing and what type, model# do I need?
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 20:52
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hi Reza

The final sizes of parts 1040380 /386 are decided by the springs that are available to you. They are very small and require no precision.

Part 1040330 starts as a very precise plate from a toolmaker's supply house. Laser cutting some holes in it will distort it and remove that precision.

M130123 is a static, non-precision plate. Basically square with a hole in each corner. Very low-tech.

The "gantry" has 2 motors and the "car" has one. Which pictures are you referring to? Maybe it was a picture during the construction before the motor was mounted?

Doc Tanner has answered your bearing question over here.
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:05
reza forushani
Just call me:

I saw it in the pdf file for the gantry, the first picture and thanks for the info.
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:12
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:20
reza forushani
Just call me:

My apologies - my mistake. I saw 2 on the X-axis and thought is was on the gantry. Thanks
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:36
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The words get confusing, I agree...

Top pic is the "gantry" - bottom pic is the "Y-car" or sometimes just "car"
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 23:47
reza forushani
Just call me:

On another issue
Can you give us the details on the bottoms mounted in 3 location on the gantry, items, model#,etc,etc and how to install

Also what type, size, model#, lenght e-chain do we need for 2 x-axis and gantry, etc
Thanks
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 10:48
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Reza, I don't understand which details you need - can you elaborate please?

The "e-chain" is discussed here
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 17:24
DocTanner
Just call me:

Reza,
Alan Conolly was kinda enough to share this SketchUp file with us
www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/329/2574.html
Definately worth viewing.
It will help you visualize how the parts work together.
As you begin to piece it together there will be a lot of "oh, I see" moments.

DocTanner
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 18:15
reza forushani
Just call me:

Thanks everyone, I just can't wait to get started. I am going to start hunting for steel on Monday.
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 18:18
reza forushani
Just call me:

On the switches, I was talking about the 3 locations where you have start/stop/etc button.
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 18:49
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Would be nice to have more information about those swiches to control the machine It is important to understand how works the basiscs of stop, reset, continue .
Old Sun 11 February 2007, 01:06
reza forushani
Just call me:

Gerald

In looking at Igus site for e-chain I came across their linear guide/rails. I priced some on the net and it is not bad. What do you think about using their linear guidesfor at least z-slide and maybe x-axis and y-axis. Cost wise for me it is easier to use this than to make the angel iron rails. Cost wise it might be the same depending on one's situation.

If you think this works, can you help me pick out a model and car size and width.

Thanks
Old Sun 11 February 2007, 05:57
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

I was also thinking liiar guides... They are more accurate, and you don't need any hold-down force on the machine if you use liniar guides instead of those angle irons...
Old Sun 11 February 2007, 08:34
Gerald_D
Just call me:

I am not supporting "ready-made" rails. Here are some of the times I mentioned why: link 1 link 2
Old Tue 13 February 2007, 16:44
reza forushani
Just call me:

I got several packages today

1. Motors
2. Control Box
3 E-Chain
4. Bolts, nuts, springs, etc
5. PMDX Board
6. Mushroom switch, relay, other elecrical items.

Still waiting for Racks, Geckos, Router, Power supply

Not ordered Cable, steel
Old Sun 18 February 2007, 19:00
reza forushani
Just call me:

Can someone give me a link or model# on the 3M tape for attaching the racks?

Also, stdsteel can mill one end of the rack so it can join another piece. They charge $15.00 per end to do this. Do I need to have this done or take the rack the way they come According to stdsteel milling ends will make the racks join nicely.
Old Sun 18 February 2007, 22:11
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Reza, your hardware store probably has a decent 3M tape in stock. Spongy one about 2mm thick. Probably sold as mirror tape.

Because we tape the rails in place, the joints must be welded. For welding, we need a small gap which needs no precision.
Old Sat 24 February 2007, 05:42
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Posted on behalf of Reza:

Old Sat 24 February 2007, 05:59
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hi Reza, some very useful pictures. (I will explain in a special thread how you could have posted them)

A good start!

Now the teacher has the duty to ask the student some questions.......

1. I am sure the white panel fits closely through the doorway of the enclosure - will the DIN rail also fit?

2. I am a bit concerned that you are working too close to the edges. When you drop the panel into the enclosure, will the printer cable be able to bend tight enough? Will you have enough space below the relay and "disconnect" to connect and spread open a thick cable that comes in via a gland?

3. What is your plan for cooling? It appears you havn't left enough space below the gecko's to get a circulating fan (like ours) in there.

Remember to work absolutely clean, like a surgeon. When you drill holes in the alu, or the white plate, you do not want small pieces of metal to fall inside the geckos or on the PMDX.
Old Sat 24 February 2007, 06:37
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Hey Reza. You sure are having a great time. Nice pictures.
Old Sat 24 February 2007, 10:23
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Reza ¿Wat is the code of that rail you use in the picture and ¿How do you adjust the relay and the other stuff to the rail? I use 120 volt system ¿Wat is the code of the relay you are using?
Thanks
Old Sat 24 February 2007, 14:39
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

It is OK.Got it. I still running around and always find things when I read again. UMMMMMM
Getting this together is really exciting. This is like being in love, you just want to be with her.
Old Sat 24 February 2007, 17:01
reza forushani
Just call me:

Reza's control panel

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read