MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 25 April 2007, 09:03
Dave
Just call me:

Packaged Component Kits

hi all:
I found this over at the cnczone and would like you thought's on this package. I'm building my mechmate to be a router/plasms cutter.

WWW.candcnc.com
was thinking about the Plazpak-1A
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 10:06
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Should work okay. Check your motor cable length before you order.
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 15:08
Mike Richards
Just call me:

Dave,
They have a nice looking system, but they're charging about $750 more than the components cost. For some people that is acceptable, for others, it's outrageous, depending on whether you could build the same thing in an afternoon or whether it would take you weeks to do the same job.
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 16:07
Dave
Just call me:

Could someone list a compleate list of motors,controllers and what ever else is needed. I get so confused with all the different things we need. As I posted in my other post "package components". It is not a compleate breakdown with the source's where to get the items.
Thanks
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 21:02
Robert Masson
Just call me:

Hi Gerald, All !

As you know Gerald I?m getting back in the saddle after ?swimming around? for too long with other DIY design.
In order to prep my self to make my own MechMate, I?m too been on the reading spree to find out all updates on component breakdown to make my list of components to buy / needed.

Wile on this controller subject, I?m wondering why is it I?ve yet to read some suggestion ( if any ?) on using the Campbell Breakout Boards. I did read Gerald recommending, with some reserve about some dust concern, Campbell complete controller box on this thread.
But how about your opinion on his Breakout Board VS PMDX your using / recommending ?
How about CNC4PC breakout boards wile were at it ??

Thanks to clarify this for me and surly for some others too !!??

Later,
Robert
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 04:44
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Robert, I know that Geckodrives only recommend:
- PMDX
- Campbell
- CNC4PC
and I am sure they are all good. But they are not all the same - there are differences on power supply, "charge pumps", onboard relays, indicators, options, etc., etc. I recommend the PMDX simply because I know it, the designer is helpful, and I can give a little support on it.

The Campbell boards were designed by Jim Cullins who has now teamed up with Tom Caudle and they call themselves www.candcnc.com. I am sure that Geckodrives will add a fourth recommendation to their list soon.
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 07:04
Robert Masson
Just call me:

Sorry for the double posting Gerald, my mistake !!

Hummm, not much more convincing for me on which Breakout board to go with!!??
Don't get me wrong, I trust what you guys are using is well & fine, but just for my knowledge? Why or Why not ?
Isn't there a valuable way to tell which is best and why isn't it ?!
Or is it a trial & error and rely on what the group has ?
I'd like to find / have some confirmation or valuable comparisons helping me to make a 'less then guessed'? choice.
Or' Simply put, is it me that wants/asking more (too much) out of this than what is needed to know ?

Do I ask / pay to much attention to this Breakout board thing. It seems to me this is the 'hear beat' of the system when in conjunction with the Greco drives !?!?
Bear with me as I'm a newbie to all this !! <:0))

As for CandCNC, I'll ask them today some Q about their separate components and their Breakout Board and will follow up here !
Thanks, Robert
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 07:34
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Robert, which of these three cars should I buy? Audi, BMW or Mercedes? If you can give a simple answer on that, then I will give you a simple choice of BOB (break-out-board)

The truth is that the BOB is a really stupid device. It does not contain any decision making logic, it has no memory, there is no "driver" file to install. Some people manage to work without a BOB at all! (they connect their parallel port wires direct to the Geckos). This is real reason why there is not much to read about BOB's - for performance, it makes no difference which one you use. The differences are in how many "gimmicks" are loaded - well, not quite gimmicks, but "features".
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 18:52
Robert Masson
Just call me:

Thanks Gerald.
I really don't know much about the whole electronic picture. But people like you and others in this group give me an opportunity to 'tune' myself.

Thanks again Gerald

PS : Now I understand why I hate when people say BOB instead of my real name ROBERT (The truth is that the BOB is a really stupid device)

Pss : Got in touch with Tom at CandCNC. I'm still scrambling all the info he gave me over our lengthy phone conversation (over 75min!). Among other things we talk, one quote stand out about why should one buy his kit vs making his own, he replied something like :When holidays come, some people like to get to destination for a few weeks in a straight forward & fast fashion to enjoy doing things that was planed and then there is the other type, the ones who rather spend their few week making their way, if lucky, to destination ?! To each his own !
Food for thought ??
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 21:55
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Ahh, but ROB is not the same....

There are also those people why like to holiday by buying the cheapest old tent and then spend all the time fixing holes. But all the different types of people will tell you they enjoyed their holidays and the next year they do it the same way again!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read