MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 27 April 2009, 18:54
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
Idea to cut down rails on tablesaw

Hi. About the rails my buddy works at a airplane part plant and as a welder and fabricator. Well he says that if you have a table saw and fit it with a metal cutting blade it would most likely be able to cut the guide rail angles... We havent tried it yet but definitely worth paying for a blade and wasting that money then buying a 380 dollar rail... also vxb does have v groove idk the size needed but http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Old Mon 27 April 2009, 23:42
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Kyle, I don't know what blade you have in mind, but be very careful of:

- Staying within the speed limit printed on the blade. An "exploding" blade is not pretty.

- Fire risk. A table saw could have an accumulation of dry sawdust that could ignite while working metal.
Old Tue 28 April 2009, 03:28
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kyle,

As a FL MM owner, I look foward to seeing how your build goes.
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 13:45
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
True

Yeah i didnt even know about the blade running to fast but that does make sense ill definitely look at the rpms on the table saw now... I know its pretty guchie because my dads a contractor and loves would working so we got this giant shop here...

Second point the saw dust damn common sense but i would have never thought about it thanks for that comment tons of saw dust just pouring out of this thing... but a broom and a good shop vac and a air hose will help that lol

And Fellow Floridian i was looking at one of your posts but i was thinking if you would be the person to ask if i need help finding vendors around here... do you know of anything like gear racks and stuff like that in florida that always helps with shipping costs... thanks for your help guys.
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 14:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kyle,
Standard Steel seems to be the best place to order racks from. Best prices I have seen. I got my racks from them and had em shipped up to Canada. I think Nils and Sean (both from Florida) got their racks there as well.
Old Wed 29 April 2009, 17:38
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
yep correct
Old Thu 30 April 2009, 02:17
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kyle,

I used FactoryMation, McMaster Carr, Automation Direct when I purchased the majority of the items that you don't buy from a source such as Geckos, PMDX, etc. Most evey one in the USA buys from Standard Steel. Get your laser cut parts from Joe in Alabama. Great price and they are very accurate.

The other place that both Sean and I have purchased from is SkyCraft Surplus. If you live in FL and you come to Orlando, you need to visit SkyCraft. The place is practically in my back yard. The biggest savings from me was buying my wire from them. I also purchased most of the bolts and nuts that hold my machine together. They buy out businesses in trouble and the surplus from the space coast.

Besides a visit to SkyCraft, we can see two machines in one visit.

Last edited by sailfl; Thu 30 April 2009 at 02:19..
Old Fri 22 May 2009, 04:37
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Hey just puttin in my .02 cents. I have tried something similar to this before. I tried using a 10" cutoff disc with a mitre saw and it didnt really work at that great. It didnt work at all actually. It was vibrating like crazy, rocking, jumping,... you name it. I just didnt see the difference between a mitre saw and the cutoff saw. But apperently there is,... unless this is normal behavior of a cutoff saw?!?!?

Seeing that I have plans to build a MM very soon. This idea has crossed my mind. But with my past experience using a cutoff blade with a mitre saw,... I would be suprised if the results were the same.

Just be careful. Im not saying not to try it, just be careful. And let us know. Would save me some time trying it myself If it doesnt work,... I will just spend the time to make a nice fancy jig for the angle grinder I have.

I actually thought about riggin the grinder so that it can be used kind of like a table saw instead to rolling it across the rail. We'll see happens. Good luck.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read