MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 11 December 2009, 05:36
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Shop Air Cleaner - DIY

While chatting with folks at another forum, one told me about this simple air cleaner for the shop, specially good for MDF particles: http://www.fountainclan.com/wood/Air%20Cleaner.html

Gerald: I searched before posting, if its a dupe please delete
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 03:57
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Nice process post.

As a secondary shop filtering system it would be nice to have cleaned air. A little noisy though.

Probably easier catching the particles at the source. Though you need the air speed velocity to be enough to snare the ejected particles.

Set up the bag outside and the finer stuff can keep your neighbors cleaner in steady employment, your garden composted and a clean shop!
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 10:53
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Besser,
Only problem for those of us with a hard winter is keeping the heat in the garage. Hard enough to keep it heated in Canada, to just throw it outside with the dust!
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 20:19
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I added a better filter to the dust collector. With that I don't think you need a separate air filter for a small shop.
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 23:57
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Actually, I'd say that any sized shop should have one of these in it. We really don't realize how bad the air is in the shops that we work in until you have one of these set up and running. It makes a tremendous difference. Especially if you're like me, and like to take high pressure air to most of the work surfaces, and anywhere on the tools where dust collects that you can't get with either a hand broom or a vac... I do that at the end of the day and then leave the shop because there is so much junk in the air, but at least most of it settles out on the ground instead of in my machines, and then I can sweep it in the morning. We put one of these in the shop I used to work at, and it made a HUGE difference. I'm definitely going to either get one of these (The JDS 750er would be quite nice) or make my own like the build listed. Its TOTALLY worth the effort and money.
Old Thu 07 February 2013, 21:30
Lord Maximus
Just call me: Alex

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
Actually, I'd say that any sized shop should have one of these in it. We really don't realize how bad the air is in the shops that we work in until you have one of these set up and running. It makes a tremendous difference. Especially if you're like me, and like to take high pressure air to most of the work surfaces, and anywhere on the tools where dust collects that you can't get with either a hand broom or a vac... I do that at the end of the day and then leave the shop because there is so much junk in the air, but at least most of it settles out on the ground instead of in my machines, and then I can sweep it in the morning. We put one of these in the shop I used to work at, and it made a HUGE difference. I'm definitely going to either get one of these (The JDS 750er would be quite nice) or make my own like the build listed. Its TOTALLY worth the effort and money.
I use a scratch built vacuum system that sucks all dust out of the shop and into a collection bin located outside, and I also have a 6500CFM cooler going that "pressurizes" the shop and helps push everything out. It's a highly effective system and I don't have to worry about particles that would go right through a bag or filter.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read