MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 07 August 2010, 14:31
ahe_1990
Just call me: Adam

Birmingham
United Kingdom
Aluminium Wheels?

Due to the price of Steel Vee Rollers, I am currently testing my mechmate with plastic homemade Vee Rollers and they seem to be good at the moment. What do you think to making them out of aluminium. Can anyone see a problem?

Oxidization? (Sandpaper)
Old Sat 07 August 2010, 20:41
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
The have been made from Brass and Ertalyte.
Old Sat 07 August 2010, 22:55
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I would make a few extra just incase they wear out but if you are having no problems with plastic the who is to argue.

I wouldnt worry that much about oxidation. The rails will take care of that after a few pass overs. Depending on the environment you might have problems with corrosion building up between the bearings and the V wheels but use a nice primer when pressing in the bearings and it shouldnt give your problems for a very long time.

Something also consider is that plastic has bounce back where aluminum will just wear away. So any nicks or burs on the rails will wear away at the aluminum faster.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read