MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 26 January 2009, 19:18
dcozort
Just call me: Dennis

Paducah Ky
United States of America
my apoligize to all especially you john

My choice of words were not so good I by no means meant an entire list for the machine. Just curious as to your steel and what sizes you decieded to use. I see a lot are not using tubing for bracing but square channel.. Please believe me when I say I did not mean an entire list of all things needed.. If someone ask me that I would probably laugh real hard I did'nt mean use your time to compile an actual parts list while I watched, Thats crazy, Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for your steel list and where you are placing them.. and for the money you spent. I now know the steel is well within my budget for the month. That is a much appreciated short cut, A few other guys were wondering what the sizes were on your trailer Thanks.. I know It may seem strange to some That I intend to start building right away but I have been looking for some time at these types of tables (started a few years back at the international wood show in atlanta Ga) Something to see if you've never been.. I will compare your list to the plans and probably buy my steel next saturday We have a terrible ice storm coming our way due tonight.. Once again thanks John and to all that have replied by P.M.'s you have been very helpful.. all my best Dennis..
Old Mon 26 January 2009, 20:22
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Thanks Dennis.

Sounds like you've decided to build a MechMate. Congratulations and good luck with your build. I would be pleased to help you if I can.

As for lengths on the trailer, we had nothing longer than 20 feet. The trailer was 16 feet. The yard cut the 24' lengths down.

Just a reminder about the amount of steel you'll need. Obviously, it's dependent on the size of the table. My table is sized to handle a full sheet of MDF, or 97" by 49". That size table requires a Main Beam of just over 10 feet. That's why I had them cut the beams at a angle. That way, I was able to get two pieces with the "top" of the Main Beam measuring 10' 2". If your table is going to be much longer than 97", you'll need TWO C8" or C7" or what ever you are using.

Regards,
John
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 06:45
SteveE
Just call me: Steve

Louisville, KY
United States of America
spreadsheets

Hello all, as I start my journey on building a MM, I was overwhelmed by all the info available. True to everyone's advise "Read, learn, understand" I have cleared most of the hurdles that have stood in my way of having a clear picture of the build process. As I have read (and re-read many times) the forum entries, I noticed that there were many spreadsheets posted throughout the forums. There were a couple in particular that I would like to reference back to but can't find. Is there a way to search the forum for entries that have spreadsheet attachments? I've tried searches on *.xls but the search engine doesn't like it....

SteveE.
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 11:26
SteveE

Louisville, KY
United States of America
Cost Comparison

Hello all, I am in the beginning(learning!!!) stages of building a MM. Given all the chatter about TrueCNC's less than honorable beginnings (and a little curious) I requested a quote for the size of table I am planning on building(12' x 5'). The quote return was for $17000+ . Not at all interested in buying, as I said, just curious.....

Steve E.
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 11:36
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Hey Steve,

what currency is that?? I hope not USD

Ries
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 12:14
SteveE

Louisville, KY
United States of America
$$$

Don't know for sure, but since he's out of Texas and I'm in Kentucky, I would think it's US currency.... Again, not interested in purchasing, but just curious. From everything I've read (especially Seans' posts), with around $5000-$6000 US and a bit of sweat equity, I will have a machine every bit as good as the $30000+ priced machines, and proudly built by myself.... Personally, I'm just thankful that Gerald has put as much work into this site as he has. Kuddo's to Gerald if he reads this!!!! Not to mention the applause due to all forum members that have contributed. You all have taken the time and effort to make it possible for someone like myself build a machine that I only previously dreamed about... Too bad there are people trying to make a cheap buck off other peoples labor... I hope to start my own build thread soon... with pictures!

Steve E.
Old Thu 05 February 2009, 12:23
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Steve,

I must have mis-understood your first message then.. I was under the impression that the quite for the material was 17.000. From what I read $5000-$6000 sounds about right.

here in Ecuador I will properly end up with $4000-$5000 if everything goes fine.

Ries
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 07:07
711man
Just call me: BillT

Austin, TX
United States of America
Hi Steve,

You will just have to weave back through the site to find the spreadsheets you’re looking for. I had to do the same thing after I lost track of them too. But to be very honest, the spreadsheets really are not necessary. I downloaded them, looked them over and then never opened them again.

After I looked over the forum many times Steve, I realized;
This forum ‘Is’ the spreadsheet for the MM.
This forum ‘Is’ the assembly manual for the MM.
This forum ‘Is’ the design manual and the operations manual for the MM.
Every scrap of information you need for the MM is right here.

Let’s talk about a spreadsheet for the steel, but this is generally applicable to all assemblies.
If there were a spreadsheet available that provided all the dimensions and the styles of the steel needed for the MM it would be great. We would build our MM’s to one design and they would all look alike. But then, someone like you would come along and say, ‘The design does not fit my space and I need to make mine smaller’. At that moment, some elements of the spreadsheet are not applicable for your build.

And as you look over the steel fabrication section of the forum you will find this to be true. Some guys use ‘C’ channel for their table legs, some guys use pipe for their legs, and some guys have used square tubing and some guys have used rectangular tubing for their legs. And I dare to say not all legs for the MM’s are the same height. So please believe me when I say that you will develop your spreadsheet as you become familiar with all the subassemblies during your design.

This forum and the many talented builders here will provide much more information and insight than you can ever glean from a spreadsheet. Use the forum as Gerald has designed it and you will be a very successful builder.

Best regards,

BillT
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 10:58
vishnu
Just call me: vishnu

Coimbatore(TN)
India
Hi,

I had the question myself before building the Mechmate. But i took time reading the forum following others build and learing to build one myself. To be frank i have no idea of machine building & electronics but once in, now i have nearly all the designs in my brain. Itis a kind of learning process to master the machine. Just start we are all there to assist. Hope you will start quickly & all the best.

Regards,

Vishnu
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 11:45
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
This is a bill of material thread with some references to spreadsheets. Does that help?

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254
Old Sun 15 February 2009, 11:17
Sherman McCoy
Just call me: "Krasch"

Portland,OR
United States of America
Hurrying has become expensive for me

I'm creating my own shopping list based on reading all the forum posts, and comparing all the different builds. It's caused me to think a lot harder about what I'm doing. I've probably already made mistakes by not buying ground tool steel for my z-slide(they didn't have the right size), and after rereading Gerald's posts, I'm now regretting buying pre-made rails instead of grinding my own or having them machined.

I think what I've learned most is to take your time, think twice, buy once, and not go off plan unless you have a real good reason. I'm more than happy to share my list, even though it's not yet complete, if anybody wants to take a shortcut. No guarantees these parts will work for your build.
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 19:11
dcozort

Paducah Ky
United States of America
Thanks krasch

Thanks krasch,, I think I was very misunderstood due to lack of technicality in speech.. I really not in a hurry to build the entire machine ,, just excited to start as I am many things.. To include building my own inground pool outback.. kinda technical but really not that hard.. I read this site every night when I get in.. I would be very interested in your table size as well as your parts bought.. I am not well versed in the area of steel.. All we have ever needed was enough to support over windows and garage doors for brick. It was interesting you brought up the rails that is an area I have been studying alot lately. I to thought of finding a rail that was already perfect in deminsion.. but after alot of thought and watching the video posted,, decieded to grind my own.. So it sounds like I am on the right path in that area.. we have alot of machine shops in this area.. but I still got my parts from joe due to this forum and many reviews to their correctness they all arrived in very good shape.. Have you bought your motors yet ?? did you use the 250$ ones or the lesser... I am still gathering the 1700$ to get all the electronics together.. Have you started a build thread yet? I will check after posting this.. I bounce all over this site and probly miss alot of stuff. I try to watch johns as much as possiable as well as a few others.. I have not started my build yet just the collection of goods.. Largely because my shop is in need of being put back together after our move.. Which is where I should be right now but this site is addictive as you know.. Thanks again Dennis
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 07:03
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hey Dennis,

Glad to hear you're making progress on your MM.

Building YOUR OWN IN-GROUND POOL! WOW, that's a project I've often thought about, but never attempted. Is it poured walls, gunite, insert or what?

If the John you're referring to is me, I'm working on the table now and will have an update in a few days...something about posting "pictures" of my mess.

Regards,
John
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 08:44
Sherman McCoy

Portland,OR
United States of America
Hi Dennis,
I ordered all the electronics, and yes those O.M. motors are expensive, but It seems like you need them to get the router to zip along at 100feet/sec. I found a friend who is an Electrical Engineer to help me assemble everything correctly so I don't electrocute myself. This site is addictive, and reading about everybody's build is probably the best way to figure out what parts you need and how to build what you want. My machine will only have a 3'x4' cutting area(I've started a build thread), but that's all I can fit in my apartment.

Here is a copy of my bill of materials for a small form MM. It's still a work in progress, but maybe it will inspire others to post theirs, with links to the best supplier's.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MM B.O.M.-1.txt (3.2 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by Sherman McCoy; Tue 17 February 2009 at 09:02.. Reason: to add B.O.M. list
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 18:04
dcozort

Paducah Ky
United States of America
thanks krasch and john

Thanks for posting your b.o.m I'm going to use the same motors and electronics... That is were I'll need most if not all my help the electronic area.. It was pretty easy to buy a cnc already together but I didn't learn a thing about what is inside the thing.. I shall keep an eye on your guys that are well educated in that field.. And yes john your thread is one I have subscribe to I watch it daily to look for any action. So no more vacations..Just kidding.. Looks to me as if you are moving well.. I was impressed by the job the makida did.. As I watch I try to think of additional methods that would produce similar results.. I saw a blade on cool tools(diy network) that was billed to cut anything.. called a evolution.. I am going to look it up when I am done reading tonight.. As for the pool I have watched sevaral install in person. Mainly fiberglass and vinyl liner.. I though the fiberglass was by far an easier install..I am looking at a kit that involves sips panels.. They snap together after excavation and require a little backfilling then you roll a coat of plaster material they provide.. then a elastic type material sprayed or rolled good to -40 degrees .. third coat of plaster and your home free... Except tile and concrete work which is not real difficult.. Its more for my wife than me.. We have a 7 acre lake outback which would do me fine.. She said she needs to see what shes swimming with.. I told her we don't have piranna this far north but that did'nt matter... anyway got to go bounce in on your thread see what your up to see ya Dennis
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 06:00
234ahmed
Just call me: Ahmed #81

Damietta
Egypt
Two transformers ?

Krasch,

Thanks for posting your BOM. I've been reading through the site for two months now and you are the only one who is gonna make an elf MM (Can the BBB be an elf). Your table size is quite interesting as i need to have almost the same size due to the space problem. I've noticed that in your BOM you included two transformers
1. PS-4Nxx. antek
2. AVEL Y236801 (25V + 25V)

may i ask why ?

Also i think the best choice from Antek would be PS-5N56R5R12 (3 outputs 56Vdc 9A- 17Vdc 1A -12Vdc 1A) which i think is enough to power the components of the control box.
I will be useing the same OM and PMDX-122 you use and I've chosen that transformer to complete the combination. Maybe the experts can give us a hint about it.
I'll be following your thread carefully and wish you all the luck.
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 07:34
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Dennis,

The "Evolution" you mentioned sparked a memory. Here's a quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
After comparing the two brands in terms of spare parts illustrations, they are two totally different designers/producers. Also likely that they are of different qualities.

Neither brand mentions thermal overload switch in the trouble-shooting sections of their manuals. Steelmax does show their switch above the trigger. Evolution's switch is not mentioned/shown anywhere, but in real life sits below the trigger.

The cynic in me asks why this style of steel cutting saw is not being offered by the "big boys"....(Metabo, Makita, Fein, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc.)?
If you want to check out this discussion, just put "evolultion" in the Forum Search and check the "Post" option.

Regarding the pool, seems like a spring or summer project in your area. By the way, I've got some experience laying flat limestone in my back yard (plentiful in my area of Texas). I think flagstone is plentiful in your area. If you're going with flagstone, I could provide some pointers.

Regards,
John
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 07:46
234ahmed
Just call me: Ahmed #81

Damietta
Egypt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234ahmed View Post
Also i think the best choice from Antek would be PS-5N56R5R12 (3 outputs 56Vdc 9A- 17Vdc 1A -12Vdc 1A) which i think is enough to power the components of the control box.
Sorry the 3 outputs are (56Vdc 9A- 5Vdc 1A - 12Vdc 1A)
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 08:23
Sherman McCoy

Portland,OR
United States of America
Ahmed- Power supplies are the subject of quite a bit of debate on the forum, and there doesn't appear to be one standard. I read (from Gerald I think) that you don't want to go much over 38-42v or you might fry your motors, and that 300w was all the wattage you needed. From my experience building PC's, more wattage isn't necessarily better. Your post is the first I've read about needing 3 outputs. I copied the following specs from another Forum member to give to Antek:

Input: 110VAC
Output1: 38VDC 380VA
Output2: 12VDC 12VA
Total VA: 392 (PS-4N38 with second 12VDC 1amp output)

I believe the PS-4N42R12 fits those specs. If I've screwed up, my friend doing the electronics will help me sort it out. My first objective is just to get the motors to spin for the kitchen project, and I needed some kind of PS to get there. I'll probably fall off my bar stool if it actually works. For $120, I'm going to have an experience. I'll follow up in my build thread.
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 08:33
Sherman McCoy

Portland,OR
United States of America
oops! sorry Ahmed, forgot to answer your question. I copied the AVEL and the Antek from other threads, and didn't realize I was duplicating things. Thanks for the heads up, I'll delete the AVEL from my purchase list.
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 15:22
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I have a PS-4N48R12 (not listed on the Antek site.). This based on my reading around the OM A2A motors was going to be closer to getting the best torqe to speed curve. But I am still collecting parts at this point. I have most of my control box pieces but can't get a moment to swing by Joe's and get some wire

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read