MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 04 May 2010, 14:59
Rook3
Just call me: Russ

Bemidji, MN
United States of America
Hello from Minnesota!

Hey everyone,

Been perusing the forum for a week or so, trying to learn all I can.

I build movie props/replicas in my spare time, and I'm looking at a CNC machine as a potential future family business (as well as using it to help make cool toys. ).

I've seen one person add a 4th axis. Has anyone made a 5 axis Mechmate?

Thanks for all the informative threads!

Russ
Old Tue 04 May 2010, 15:47
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Rook, No 5th axis that I know of.
Old Tue 04 May 2010, 22:46
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Hi Rook and welcome

Take a look here : http://www.pdscolombo.com/prod_fast.php

or here for a more affordable one (B/C Drive) : http://www.doughtydrive.com/products.html

Nice toys for boys but big hole in your pocket too

Last edited by Sergio-k; Tue 04 May 2010 at 23:08..
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 21:33
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the group!!
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 22:57
Rook3

Bemidji, MN
United States of America
Thanks everyone!

The more I look, the more I think I can "get by" with a 4 axis machine. Obviously, cost is a big
deterrant. Ideally I want my machine to have a working area of 4x8' or being able to handle one
full size sheet of MDF.

If you make a 4 axis, using the main gantry to cut the details, do you make the table bed removeable
or is there other ways to engineer it?
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 06:48
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Keep digging in the site. There is a wealth of info here. Several cool designs for 4th Axis.

Some have it across one end and others have made the table wider and recessed for the indexer.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 10:45
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
And Sean just removed the table and put in a huge indexer in its place!
Here and
Here
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 11:40
Rook3

Bemidji, MN
United States of America
Thanks for the info! Hmmm... Have some design decisions to make now.

I wonder how much additional length you'd need to add to put the 4th axis at the end of the machine? I suppose it depends largely on the size of stock you intend on turning, right?
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 13:04
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
If you put it on the end of the machine, you will be limited to about 4 feet in length. You would need to add the max diameter that you would want to turn on to the length of the machine. If the max diameter will fit above the spoilboard, then you could just mount your 4th axis to the spoilboard. Then there is the indexer valley arrangement as some have done as well. See Roberts build here.
Old Fri 07 May 2010, 22:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Max. diameter of the 4th axis does contribute directly to the cost. with bigger diameter, the accuracy/backlash demand on the drive has goes up & hence the cost. and if the Dia. is small, making the 4-axis too long will make the work piece flex excessively...etc etc... so its a lot of compromising work one has to make...
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 14:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Heath,
Thanks for putting my BBQ pit back up in the current threads

Seriously, that indexer I put together had really great resolution when used as a 4 face mill. Continuous milling was a challenge when you got over 2' diameter, and really hard to get repeatability out to 5' diameter. All this was a result of the actual material flexing in the center between live end and turret end. Thus, I went to 4 face indexing and supported the center of the work with cribbing when necessary.
Old Sun 16 May 2010, 06:28
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Hi Rook3, I have been working on a 5 axis setup for a while. Do you have any idea how to utilize a 5 axis machine?
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 18:40
Rook3

Bemidji, MN
United States of America
I don't have any experience with a 5 axis machine. I was basing desires on what I've seen other 5 axis machines do.

I think I can "survive" with a 4 axis.

Old Mon 17 May 2010, 22:52
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
I agree... And I asked for one, so that you might take a look at what is involved in this type of machine. Not just what it takes to build, but also from the programing aspect. Good luck!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read