MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 22 January 2013, 22:44
shikha829
Just call me: shikha

V
India
Send a message via Yahoo to shikha829
dual motor on Y axis wiring ?

Hi,

I had 8-4 build,
since Y axis is longer decided to use two motor on it.

I had DSP control system from older machine, which has 3 axis control.
my question is how do i connect two motor on Y axis ( since controller has 3 axis only ).

my friend suggest me from Y axis pins ( pulse + dir ).
connect two drive for Y axis and then two motor to it.

is it right way to do so ? if anybody can help me then i dont need to spend extra on new controller. wiring diagram is helpful.

Rgds
Shikha
Old Wed 23 January 2013, 04:29
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Theoritically, if your driver can supply enough current for 2 motors you should be all right. BUT IMHO, saving a driver is false economy.
Old Wed 23 January 2013, 04:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Yes,
I have done this many times in the past, but only when the output of the Computer break out board allows it. Fortunately, the PMDX-122 is rated to do this, many others are not.

For machines # 5 and #28 this is exactly what is done so I can use the other "saved" output for a 4th axis on the pMDX 122
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 21:13
shikha829

V
India
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Theoritically, if your driver can supply enough current for 2 motors you should be all right. BUT IMHO, saving a driver is false economy.
Hi KenC,, i am not connecting two motor to single drive,... i am connecting two drive to breakout board's Y pins. And then connecting one motor per drive.
This way i am splitting the input ( pulse + directional ) signal to two drive and that drives connect to their individual motors.

There is 1 foot distance between the breakout board and two drive... so my worry is since pin output is 5 Volt for ( pul + Dir ), is it fine to split this 5 volt to two drive.

Rgds
Shikha
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 21:21
shikha829

V
India
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Yes,
I have done this many times in the past, but only when the output of the Computer break out board allows it. Fortunately, the PMDX-122 is rated to do this, many others are not.

For machines # 5 and #28 this is exactly what is done so I can use the other "saved" output for a 4th axis on the pMDX 122
Hi, smreish,
Thanks for reply.
according to my knowledge two way to run dual motor.
1) slave axis output in software like mach etc... or
2) breakout board has setting or jumper to connect two axis.

i am using handheld dsp controller, which is 3 axis and has connection for 3 axis on breakout board. and i am in financial crunch.

so i am thinking about connecting the two drive to Y axis pin.

Have you ever tried like this.

Rgds
Shikha
Old Thu 24 January 2013, 22:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
yes, you can connect 2 drivers to a single I/O set, (some call it connect 2 drivers in parallel). AS LONG AS the i/o port has enough juice to drive them. To find out the this, you can call up the DSP supplier ot read their datasheet. We can't answer that without information.
AND THAN you wire your motor wire (stepper to Driver) to ensure the 2 drivers always turns in the opposite directions.

Last edited by KenC; Thu 24 January 2013 at 22:26..
Old Fri 25 January 2013, 06:37
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Shikha,
Yes, you understand correctly - 2 drives to one output step/dir signal.

Thus
Output 1 - x' and x
Output 2 - y
Output 3 - z
Old Sun 27 January 2013, 21:57
shikha829

V
India
Thanks guys,

I will try this and post my findings very soon.
Old Mon 28 January 2013, 20:07
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Sean had earlier posted a buffer circuit on the forum search for it, uses a 74LS245 as a buffer - try that

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read