MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Mon 18 January 2010, 13:46
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Lookin' Good!, Ken - Keep it up.
Old Mon 18 January 2010, 22:27
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Joe, Thanks for the encouragement.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 02:05
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
After some serious muscle work, I finally completed most of the cutting & grinding.
Hand painted with paint roller, one coat of red oxide primer & 1st coat Enamel Alkyd paint.
Hope the color gets a seal of approval.

Will leave them overnight before I put on the final coat. That is if the color pass.

Last edited by KenC; Fri 22 January 2010 at 02:08.. Reason: spelling...
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 03:02
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ken, if you are happy with the colour, then I am happy!

Nice progress - the hard work is over now.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 03:14
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
At this stage, after all the sweat & bruses, any color would make me happy
Will have the top coat on tomorrow & clean the workshop thoroughly of grinding dust. may take a day or 2 ...

Looking forward to a clean workshop soon.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 04:04
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Timely arrival of my new BOB.

The parcel contain the parallel cable, the flat ribbon cable & the BOB itself.
Sinyu BOB.jpg
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 13:11
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
hi Ken - what bob is that - the PP cable looks thin - pls chk wire resistance between each pin, should be less that 0.3 ohm
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 14:26
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Your painted parts look great, now just assemble and make some cips...
Great work...keep it coming.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 22:04
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I just made a few measured the resistance,
21.6, 23.4, 22.8, 25.3, 29, 29, does this look right? I may not use this cable as I may change my mind to have the mobo build external of the control panel.

Its a chinese board, SINYU 5-axis CNC interface board board Ver 1.0.
The manual

I picked it up on ebay, for US70+15 shipping.

It even has a manual stepper motor control, sort of like a external jogging control can make a joystick or control pad using push button switches. Will play with that in a much much later date...

From my location, Chinese, Indian, Taiwanese, Hong Kong, Korean, Singaporean or even Japanese products makes more economical sense... Product price & postage from EU, US or even Australia are just too high... Quality? Just have to practice better risk management tactics.

Anyway, I had just finished painting the final coat, will leave them for proper curing for next fewday while I re-kinder with my unsucessful control panel. Must get the kitchen project completed.

BTW, I'm high or the paint fume...

Last edited by KenC; Fri 22 January 2010 at 22:08.. Reason: add more progress
Old Sun 24 January 2010, 00:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Pull the control panel from the dark storage corner.

To ensure success this time round, I will divide-and-rule.
Extract the Mobo from the panel & build a separate PC, the casing is only 50mm high with room for 1 cart slot. .
Modify a handphone charger that I have no use for as the power supply for the BOB. To further simplify the electrical scheme, the PC will take its power from a separate wall plug.
Will shop for a suitable casing during weekdays for this purpose. It has to be small enough for me to strap it to the back of my 15" LCD monitor...

Studied both Mandarin & English manual of the BOB. I believe equip with one burnt board experience, things should turn for the better....... this time round....
This board is interesting, it has
4 sets of 3 terminal (Vcc, S, GND) for 4 proximity switch (X, Y, Z, A) all labeled nicely.
1 set of 2 terminal for E-stop input
1 set of 10 pin connector for spindle VFD control. I am puzzled that it says it can provide PWM signal, if it is true, there will be a great saving.
2 sets of relays rated 250V @2A for switching on auxiliary equipments such as dust collectors. but they do recommend to use is run it at 60V to turn larger contactors.
Features which drawn me into the purchase are
A Manual override plug which we can connect to a home-built push button jogging pad. via a 10 cable ribbon cable.
10 pin ribbon connectors to the stepper motor drivers. The circuit is shown in the manual.
Charge pump feature
No need to build separate power supply for the proxy switches.
Draw backs?
The one I think is the printer port pin is not configured in usual logic, its all jumbled up! e.g. x-Axis Step is pin 7 & X-Axis Dir is pin 17.
Like most manuals from China, it takes quite a bit of getting use to...

Last edited by KenC; Sun 24 January 2010 at 00:33..
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 01:21
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Gentlemen,
I am a switch away from powering up my Kitchen Table Project.

Tested the 240V circuit, the contactor behave as expected.
The Stepper motor PSU, & connected to the Driver & Stepper motor. The motor locked up good upon power up.
AC power to the BOB which is a small 1A rated 0-9V tranny I picked up at local electrical shop for just under USD3 & I see the power LED lit.

Some Pix of my test set up.
Kitchen Table Project Setup.jpg

Another View
Kitchen Table another view.jpg

The Stepper PSU + Driver
Kitchen Table Project -inside the Paanel.jpg

My tranny for my SINYU BOB
Tranny for SINYU BOB.jpg

Before I crank up the PC, I need help on one issue.
Do I connect the GND of the BOB to the Chassis GND point? I'm sure its been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I don't think I had even read it... Help please.

Thanks in advance.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 02:49
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Found it here in the PSU thread...
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:06
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Kitchen Table Project a near success

Its Alive!!!! but limping....

Tied a thick cable between PC's Chassis to the Control panel's star point.

Switch on the power, the contactor "thump", the stepper motors jerked once & the shaft locked up...

Switch on the PC, everything powered up nicely.

Summon the Stepconfg wizard of EMC2, clicked on the "test this axis" button and nothing happened... Checked & found the chargepump LED didn't lit, changed a few config, played with the trimming resistor R24 for a while & nothing happened...

Eventually, disabled the charge pump on the BOB by swapping the X3 jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 & viola, D7 lit...

Test the x-axis & only one motor turned, (I connected the 2nd X-axis motor to the supposedly A-axis & inverted the signal)

The Y & Z axis worked as advertised.

I then select the XYZA axis selection & the A-axis (A.K.A. the 2nd X-axis motor) turns happily

No doubt that I didn't achieve all the kitchen table project criteria, but for now, this near-miss shows that the wiring are OK, don't have to send back the motors & drivers back to the supplier & the Stepper hardwares jive with the PC & EMC2.

Next step is to read through the forum (again....) & hopefully will see some light regarding the charge pump & how to get both X motors to turn together under EMC2 command...

Would greatly appreciate all the help that I could get.

##PS, At this moment in time, I am a joyful man
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:11
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
With Mach, the computer must be on and mach up and running before you turn on the controller box. I would think that it is the same with any software. It is looking for inputs.

You also need to have the controlling software set up correctly for the interface with the controller box. Things are not going to work if the interface is not correct. For mach, Ports and Pins need to be set up correctly.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done!

But I will disconnect the PC ground and chassis ground from each other. Also disconnect the BOB ground from the chassis ground, because the BOB ground is connected to the PC ground via the parallel cable.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:19
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Nils,
Tried that I no luck with the charge pump.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:26
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Well done!

But I will disconnect the PC ground and chassis ground from each other. Also disconnect the BOB ground from the chassis ground, because the BOB ground is connected to the PC ground via the parallel cable.
Gerald,
Done you advise on the ground wire, tested the system with no noticeable difference. I will stick with this arrangement.

Thanks
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:37
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Ken,

Good to see you are having a win with your electrical, I'm dreading that part!!
Good for me that Paul (skippy) is reasonably comfortable with it.

Good luck
Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 05:40
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Congrats Ken,

I am glad to hear that you electronics do work this time!

Ken, I am pretty sure that stepconf doesn't enable the charge pump signal of you test your system from there. I can check tomorrow to be sure.
i fyou have your CP connected properly, then try jogging from axis, and then it will work.

Ries
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 06:30
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Gentlemen, Thanks for all the kind words. Wouldn't have come this far without your help.

In my case, this kitchen table project has been a long uphill struggle from the start

My Kitchen Table Project result fell short of expectation, still require work on it.

Hope to iron out the charge-pump & the x-axis configuration before I proceed with welding up the table with peace in mind.

Its late now, need to catch up with my freelance contract work before my client throw me out....

Ciao
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 06:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
In my case, this kitchen table project has been a long uphill struggle from the start

My Kitchen Table Project result fell short of expectation, still require work on it.
I hope that you agree that it is better to find the problems at the kitchen table, rather than at the CNC table?
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 06:48
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
OoooooHHH YEEEESSSS!! Couldn't have agree more!!!

I recon without this kitchen table project, my MM building project will grind to a stop after the CNC table were built & goes straight to the scrapyard......

Reading is one thing, but putting your hands on it is another.

One thing for sure, I'd learn a lot from this. It also confirms that I'm undeniably Electronic handicapped...
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 10:26
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
I`m happy for that you made it. Good progres....
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 16:37
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Nothing like hearing that solid click when you throw the switch and seeing the green light(s) and then hearing the motors whir when the Mach3 program starts a run. Makes me smile every time. Congratulations, Ken
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 17:12
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Ken

I agree with Ries, I couldn't get anything to happen with EMC until I had completed ALL of the stepconfig wizard, go through this, and just put in what you consider are reasonable values were you are unsure (being sure of course that the pin allocations are correct) it is very easy to change the setup once you have it all running.

Jed
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 05:45
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I skipped steps (which I learnt the hardway not to) and went on to run the AXIS program, Toggle the Emergency switch by pressing F1, Home the axis, click the GO button & the motors quartet sang like angels from heaven!!!

WOOOO HOOOO!!!
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 02:24
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Next on the agenda
1) Sorting out the Charge-pump issue
2) Study the Huayang VFD, started a new thread for discussion & educate myself. Hopefully can sort out what I can/will do with it. Hence plan the necessary space & accesories.
3) Check out the spindle...
4) Decide & source the component for the sealed cooling water system for the spindle.

The are above involves plenty brain juice drain, for draining my muscle power, Welding will start tomorrow.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 03:46
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Done some welding

some pix

Welding equipment
Welding equipment.jpg

Makeshift welding table, (don't laugh...)
Makeshift welding table.jpg

Set Leg on Channel beam
setting leg on main beam.jpg

How I fit the tube trusses on not so even floor
Setting up tube truss.jpg

Fit the 2nd Leg on the main beam
Table Leg setting up 2.jpg

Done for the day
Completed table sides.jpg

Last edited by KenC; Fri 29 January 2010 at 03:50.. Reason: correction
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 03:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I see you had some distortion where the round pipes formed T's. (your long round pipes are maybe 15mm off straight?). Not a problem for the function at all. It is just a lesson about the effects of welding.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 04:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
You are right again it went off by about 10mm, the extra 5mm you see is contributed by my poor quality handphone camera lens

My welding skill has went to bad to terrible... so I intentionally planned to weld on flat position...

After fliping the assembly over for welding the tube trusses, I realised my original plan to weld the table bearer in the top-down position may lead to problem when flipping them over... My table is 4.4m long x 2.3m wide, with max working area of 1830 x 3810mm because I don't want to cut the racks...

Any suggestion to go about this?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts