MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 02 July 2013, 13:25
paulus
Just call me: paul

jhb
South Africa
stepper motors 4 or 8 wire leads

Hi guys.
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I don't know any thing about stepper motors and how they work. So what I need to know is what is the differance between a 4 lead and a 8 lead motor and witch one is better and why? I have read some posts and went on the net but just not getting a clear answer. I want to buy some motors and localy they only have 4 leads so I am in two minds to spending a lot of money getting it from the US or a little cheaper in SA.
Can any one help please

Paul.
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 14:49
2e0poz
Just call me: Paul

Swindon
United Kingdom
If the 4 wire are advertised as Bipolar then they are prewired in parralel already. The 8 wire ones would need to be wired back to just 4 connections meaning more wires to think about tats all. The difference is just about the ability to wire the winding in series or parralel. Google Bipolar parralel vs unipolar, should bring up plenty of pics showing you the difference.
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 14:55
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Ok so the speed and power wil be the same?
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 15:03
2e0poz
Just call me: Paul

Swindon
United Kingdom
yes
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 15:07
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks paul
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 18:01
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
You should check all the other specifications of the motors, in particular the amperage and impedance values, and how well they match up with whatever you are planning to use to drive the motors. The 4 vs. 8 (or 6) wire piece may be the least important specification.
Old Tue 02 July 2013, 23:21
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Go to CNC Direct` s website .Somewhere Greg have some reading on the motors it should help.
Old Thu 04 July 2013, 04:54
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256
Old Thu 04 July 2013, 06:05
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Note that 4 wire, 6 wire and 8 wire motors are all run back through the gantry as a 4 wire cable.
The "extra" wires are actually joined very close to the motor, like inches away in the shrink tubing.

Read up as Metal Head suggests as the power supply is very important to get right. How you wire your motors will effect the speed, torque and power supply requirements for the exact same motor.

Ross
Old Thu 04 July 2013, 12:31
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks guys you all realy helped a lot. Next step gearbox design. I will also post some pics of my small mm this weekend.
Old Mon 15 July 2013, 23:29
DrewHoffman
Just call me: Drew

Albany
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulus View Post
Hi guys.
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I don't know any thing about stepper motors and how they work. So what I need to know is what is the differance between a 4 lead and a 8 lead motor and witch one is better and why? I have read some posts and went on the net but just not getting a clear answer. I want to buy some motors and localy they only have 4 leads so I am in two minds to spending a lot of money getting it from the US or a little cheaper in SA.
Can any one help please

Paul.
i think you will get most of the information while searching google.. I will send you some useful links about the stepper motors very soon
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 13:50
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks drew it will be most help full.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read