MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 15 August 2009, 21:10
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Rail grinding process question

I have 2-1/2 by 2" angle iron stock. When cutting it down to the 1.1" required for the finished rail what is the correct process? Should I cut it first horizontally before cutting the angles on it? Or should I just grind the angles until I reach the final height? If I cut it first horizontally, to what height before starting to grind the angles? Or should I just go right to 1.1"? (I have seen all the photos and videos of folks cutting the angles horizontally first but haven't seen anything about the intermediate height, if any.) Thanks
Old Sat 15 August 2009, 23:03
bfauska
Just call me: Brian #30

Seattle, WA
United States of America
The first cut should be to 1.1" and then after you grind the angles you should have a small flat on top that is actually left over from your original cut. If you have the laser cut parts with the grinder skate there is a way to use it to make the horizontal cut, but I had access to a steel cutting circular saw and did that instead. I actually think the finished cut is cleaner with the grinder.
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 10:19
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Thanks. I will use the grinder and skate system.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read