MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 24 July 2007, 10:45
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Steel Channel Labeling (US)

Gerald,

I am about to buy steel. If anyone is as confused about steel channel labeling as I was, this might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Steel Channel Sizes.pdf (41.3 KB, 372 views)
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 11:40
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Channel is used for these two applications:

- 10 10 322 Main Longitudnal Beams where the drawing asks for channels 2 to 4" wide and 6 to 8" tall, where the metric guide mass is 21kg/m [14 lb/ft]. From that table, C7x12.25 to C8x13.75 (4 sizes) will all be okay. The variance in "bend resistance" ranges from 24.2 to 36.1, but this a supported beam where other factors come into play.

- 10 10 302 Cross Bearer where the drawing asks for channels 1.5" wide and 3" tall, where the metric guide mass is 7kg/m [4.7 lb/ft]. From that table, all the C3's will be okay. The variance in "bend resistance" ranges from 1.66 to 2.07.

If building on a very tight budget, go for the cheapest (lightest). Used steel is NOT inferior to new steel for this application.
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 11:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Marc, did that supplier have a page on "parallel flange" channels? They are easier to bolt through, for those wanting to do this.
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 12:47
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
I'll check and re-post if I find it. A couple of weeks ago, when J.R. first posted his picture of his home-made bevel washers, I found sources of them online. I believe that they are made for exactly this purpose. Example - http://www.chicagohardware.com/catalog/31_washers.pdf
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 13:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, the bevel/taper washers are a solution, but they are a pain to hold square while the joint is tightened.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read