MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 28 March 2010, 09:35
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That is a good spot. Lots of space behind for a dust hose (or another z-slide)
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 10:08
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks for the heads up.

Managed to sqeeze my time table to free myself up for the next three days. Hope to make some dust by then.

Tomorrow schedule,
1) finish off the cable works, including the E-stop circuit.
2) build the Spindle cooling water circuit
3) buy a spear edge bits to cut the steps for the spoilboard mounting bolt counterbore.

Must decide on one last option for the push button.
As I am using EMC2, Should I just wire a simple E-stop circuit & use a game pad to replace the "stop" "pause" "run" remote button.
*PS, I'm not really good at laying cable... & lazy...

Its midnight here, time to knock off.

ciao
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 10:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Where will the gamepad be when you are on the other side of the MM and you spot the cutter heading for a clamp or screw?
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 20:04
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
On the Y-car I suppose... or hang from my neck... seriously...
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 01:06
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Hi,
Got the board mounted.
Got hold of the aquarium water pump & tested with the spindle connected with a result of 330ml/min flow. a tat shy of the "beer glass test in a minute" a beer glass is a pint I suppose, which is ~570ml will run the spindle & see if this would live up to the task. plan B is replace the reservoir with a metal reservoir with a some copper coil as radiator which Gerald mentioned.
Spindle & cooling system.jpg

Amazingly, there are still a lot more work then it seem on the electrical department, for that, I will postpone the remote button installation, Get the E-stops in & make sure there is a minimum safety measure around

Last edited by KenC; Mon 29 March 2010 at 01:11..
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 01:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
My spindle's collet looks like this.
collet front view.jpgcollet rear view.jpg
Is the collet & nut suppose to come together? I can't separate them.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 02:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The collet and the nut are supposed to be "clipped" together (before putting a tool inside). They can be unclipped, after slipping the tool out.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 14:03
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Just make sure the collet is clipped into the nut before you insert the tool in the collet and tighten down. The clip inside is what un-seats the collet in the spindle or holder.

Travis
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 02:35
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I dont understand why people arent running a closed loop cooling system with these spindles?!?! A closed loop system like those found in the wonderful world of watercooled pc's.

I am planning on using a DD12V-D5 pump, maybe a Black Ice GTX480 radiator, with some kind of reservoir. I probably make my own seeing use to make them all the time.

Mount it all to the Y-Car.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 02:42
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Also thats a lovely ORANGE chain shelf you got there I plan on incorperating orange into my build. Orange and gun metal gray.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 05:17
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
My spindle's collet looks like this.
Attachment 9075Attachment 9076
Is the collet & nut suppose to come together? I can't separate them.
Looks like an ER collet...

http://www.gemcolletsindia.com/er_type-collets.html
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 07:15
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Finally made some wood dust.

I'm speechless... so let the pix talk.

MechMate Cutting.jpg
Virgin cut...

Virgin cut.jpg
A closer look

The penguin relief carving.jpg
Something to show my grand children in a few dacades time...
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 07:39
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
congratulations! time to put a number on it!
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 07:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Congratulations ken!!
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 08:00
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Good going Ken….Finally cutting, you must be a happy & enthusiastic guy
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 08:41
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Happy, enthusiatic & exhausted...

Thanks guys, couldn't had done this without all your help, advise & encouragements.

OK, need to hit the bed & start dreaming of making 500 per day
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 10:20
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Well done Ken time for Bah Kut Beer!
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 12:27
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Go Ken Go...well done and enjoy it.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 13:16
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Jealous ^^^ Good job.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 21:24
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Guys, Thanks again for the kind encouraging words

My dream of building a CNC machine from scratch would not had been possible without you all
I specially thank Gerald for giving away the design. When I first went through the plan, I was impressed by the details & elegantly simplicity of the well though through design, the work is better then a lot of plans we had to pay for in my day job. As the build progresses, appreciation grew to the point of idolizing the man! It is certain that there isn't any alteration that one can do to it without having impact in the over all factors such as cost, operation, build skill level... While leaving sufficient element of choices in the hands of the builder which really indulge my ego ...

Could had get to this stage in less the half the time if I had resist the temptation to make any alteration to "better" the basic design. The result, the build is as near to the basic design as it can get. exept for the Z-axis, but that choice was fuel by my ego more then anything else, & yes, I suffer in the cost department with it...

Also relish to put most of my old fabrication skill to work & learn a few new tricks along the way.

The building journey has been a most fulfilling one & making friends here is most valueble asset I'd gain.

Now... I got to learn how to run this beast....
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 21:39
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Charles,
my cooling system is a close circuit system, & the whole set up cost less the RM50 or less the US15, including the tubes & fittings... less the half of the price of the pump you mention. Moreover, aquarium pumps are build to run 24/7 for years at ends & has an in-built filter... it runs off mains voltage so very simple to implement.
I connect it directly to the main in the control panel so that once there are power in the control panel, water starts to flow even when E-stop is pressed.
I use a 3 liter biscuit container with holes drilled for the tubes & wire, all sealed. Transparent & very thin wall so that I can see water is flowing & save all the control hassles; hopefully heat transfer would be not be hinder roo badly.
So far temp never go over 41C, but will monitor it under longer operating period.
I bought the orange industrial cable tray RM11 for 8ft piece, & cover cover is only RM2.5, came painted. discarded the laser profiles brackets & made some from the left over steel.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 22:15
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Hey Ken,

con gratulations on the build... we have dust, you got EMC working, your spindle and all electronics. I know the electronica wasn't easy for you... well done mu friend!

Ries
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 22:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ries, very true, I was that close in giving up at the kitchen table project stage, thanks to you & Brad gave me that little edge to hang in there just to get through...

BTW, I just remembered you wanted to do trial & error on the EMC travel/rev numbers,
Here is the calc that I figured,
for Metric gear the pitch = pi x (Module No.)
So for our Module 1 gear
pitch = pi x 1 = 22/7 or 3.1416,
Then,
the exact travel per rev = pitch x no.spur gear teeth.
in my case, a 24teeth spur gear,
exact travel per rev = 22/7 x 24 = 528/7 mm = 75.42857143mm
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 22:51
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Ken,

I will check that out once I am on my machine. I am started to think now I don't have module 1! But more close to 1.2, is that possible at all, that's why all my calculations fail... hehehehe

I will check again next time I enter the workshop.

Ries
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 23:24
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
It is very possible, but here, 1.2 are not common. measuring the pitch accurately can be easy, place 2 identical dovel pin that are small enough to sit between 2 rack teeth, measure the distance using a veneer caliper then subtract the diameter of the dovel pins, that will be a accurate number.
if its a mod. 1.2 you should get 1.2 x pi /no of teeth between 2 dovel pins = 3.77 mm
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 23:34
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Well done Ken! Enjoy.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 00:13
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ken Have joined the club ,Well done
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 02:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by riesvantwisk View Post
. . . I am started to think now I don't have module 1! But more close to 1.2 . . .
You might have the inch based "diametral pitch" system. A 20DP pinion with 20 teeth will have a diameter of 1", and a circumference of 3.1416" (79.8mm). That is 3.99mm per tooth.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 06:55
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Congrats Ken!! and well done on your build!! must be a great feeling seeing the beast run around on those rails making some dust

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 07:21
oopz
Just call me: oopz

Stockholm
Sweden
Well done KEN !!

Its nice to see the EMC and Linux package realized in wood as the Penguin !!

I have just started to poke around with EMC and i think I will use both worlds (EMC & Mach3) in the end. Again you got yourself a very nice machine. And I also know how it is -- to go outside -- the good working script/recipient

/oopz

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts