MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 June 2014, 18:02
Rapid
Just call me: Rapid

Pennsylvania
United States of America
Well if you buy the laser kit you can throw away a large portion of the plans because they are for those who need prints and directions for making the parts provided in the kit.

Then you can look for and eliminate other pages dedicated to options that you do not want.

My strategy is to read all of the dedicated threads (y car, gantry etc)

Then there are about 8 pages of build threads but many of them I ignore because they only contain a few posts

Also there are a handful of builders who spend a lot of time here giving excellent advice... once you get to know who they are you take care to especially single out and read their posts.

I have checked out other cnc router plans on the internet and have yet to find something like a cook book recipe for roasting a turkey

I am doing ok with the plans .... but I wish I had a cook book recipe for using this darn photo cropper resizer thing that Mike has recommended
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 19:18
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
0.01mm accuracy is achievable with reduction. Precision can be better than 0.02mm. But what are you looking for Accuracy or Precision? This will depend on an number of factors. Any machine and material is affected by temperature change. So it also depends on the environment the machine is in. A lot of sales personnel tend to leave this information out. I used to work for a laser cutting company. A change of 12°C would cause the level and location of the laser beam to deviate from center of the nozzle. This would produce a less than desirable cut. Temperature fluctuations will cause the machine steel to expand ever so slightly and has a big impact on the end result. With wood you now have other factors as in stress of the wood fibers, humidity of the wood, humidity in the air, temperature of the air.

The clean edges is up to your tooling, the machine will produce clean cut edges just fine.

Tolerance is your upper and lower deviation. I do not know of any machine the can hold a lower deviation of 0.0005mm and upper deviation of 0.0005mm assuming they are equal. That is equivalent to +/- 0.000019".
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 19:33
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I can think of a few build threads here that have what you are asking for. (mine included, except for size).
They will still require you to "play detective" because only you know whats available to you, your skill set, and what your needs are.
People who don't want to figure that stuff out themselves typically let a salesman do it for them, and pay accordingly.
I feel your pain regarding the "rooms within rooms", and feel that is a downfall of the forum, due in part to changing thread titles. ( I remember where stuff is, but then it changes titles and its hard to find back.)
People here will help you, but we aren't paid salesmen and have no incentive to talk you into choosing to build a MM...Maybe Metal head does, but he is very low pressure.

It IS a commitment, and I'll bet there are more than a few aborted builds by people dazzled with the prospect of saving money over buying, but didn't have the wherewithal to finish, for whatever reason.

You decide whats best for you.
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 20:17
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
There was a book I read a few years back on metrology techniques, I think from Brown and Sharpe. I remember in one part describing the room for their most critical work, like making standards. They operated in a special temperature controlled room and even tried to account for the variation of temperature from floor to ceiling. I wish I could remember the title. I found it quite interesting.

Just one thing to keep in mind is that .001mm=1 micrometer=1000nm. The wavelength of red light is around 650nm. So you are getting down to single wavelenghts of light. Break out the interferometer.
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 20:29
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hey, Iva, I've built an MM for 2440mm x 1220mm sheets ( actual coverage area is just slightly over 50" x 98", and you have to subtract bit size from that, of course). It has the original, crushed end tube base design. The classic steel rails were rough cut with a SteelMax circular saw with a clamped fence, then ground to height. Finally ground to angle, the hard way with a grinding wheel before Sean decided to enlighten us all about using coarse sandpaper to make it a piece of cake. I have proxy sensors on, and an aluminum Z Zero plate, which makes short work of zeroing the machine.

It does at least 0.015625" accuracy, which is better than the wiggle in the wood we get around here. I'm reasonably sure it does much better than that, because when I upgraded from a porter cable router to a water cooled chinese spindle (with a Hitachi X200 VFD), I cut the 1/2" aluminum plate for the mounts on the MM, using 0.075 passes and no cooling, and they came out just fine.

I used the standard plans and calculations, with a G540 and PK296A2A-SG7.2 and LinuxCNC to drive it.

If I were going to build another, the changes I would make would be to go with belt drives instead of the geared OMs, I'd use the sandpaper instead of a grinding disk, and I'd use rectangular tube in the base in a layout optimized for storage convenience. However, if I were going to build my first one again, I might make the same motor and driver choice here in the US, and elsewhere I'd look for the best value that others have already tried. It depends on whether you want the added fabrication complexity of the belt drives.

Note that there are at least a dozen built to similar specs, and a dozen each of several other variations of the specs. Choose a build thread you like, and ask questions about anything you don't instinctively trust from that thread and we'll happily argue the pros and cons out for you in record time.

For racks, you need to either choose the imperial measurements (US), or the metric measurements (more likely for you). Then, the sourcing is reasonably simple; the specs are in the plans.

I hope this helps to nudge you over the edge. There are over a hundred of these machines working well, which means the design is very robust.

We will also happily audit your BOM once you generate it, if that makes you comfortable. However, we just can't make the choices for you. One of our great strengths is the diversity of SUCCESSFUL opinions on the details of the approach, and our willingness to discuss their suitability for a given need.

Last edited by bradm; Tue 03 June 2014 at 20:30.. Reason: Left the unit off the accuracy, argh!
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 21:07
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
@ Brad, your last sentence nailed what the forum is about. well done.

@DB 20 years ago I built a house for a Machinist for what was then McDonnell Douglas, now Boeing.
He quoted a cost savings number that was unbelievable to me, when they air conditioned the whole plant and no longer had to retool and recalibrate due to seasonal swings in temp and humidity.
Can't recall the exact dollar amount, but do recall thinking I'll never see 1/10th of that amount in my lifetime. So far, I've been right.
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 23:54
Plas4u
Just call me: Iva

Vic
Australia
.1 of a mm it should have been.
Old Tue 03 June 2014, 23:58
Plas4u

Vic
Australia
Great reply Bradm, thanks so much. Will do my best to chase down the appropriate thread and follow.
Old Wed 04 June 2014, 01:51
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Great reply Brad.
Iva,
Patient is a virtue. Keep up the good reading.
#ps, I was shocked to read 0.001mm accuracy.... Thats for EDM in air-conditioned clean room.
0.1mm sounds about right.

Last edited by KenC; Wed 04 June 2014 at 01:57..
Old Wed 04 June 2014, 04:08
Rapid

Pennsylvania
United States of America
Darrin I can agree with you on the thread title suddenly changing issue.... at the same time I can't wait until my build thread title morphs into something like
"Wow am I having fun with this machine"

... but until then I will try to enjoy the challenge of the build.
Old Wed 04 June 2014, 07:38
Rapid

Pennsylvania
United States of America
Actually I hope my title morphs into something like "man I am making huge profits with this machine"
Old Fri 13 June 2014, 03:55
Youngman Eng
Just call me: Boyd

Melbourne
Australia
Hi Iva
I am looking at Bilding a mm plasma cuter to replace my pattern tracer
I could fabricate your mm frame at the same time as my mm
Old Tue 17 June 2014, 03:03
Plas4u

Vic
Australia
Thanks for the offer Boyd, If I were moving ahead with the MM project I would certainly consider outsourcing.

I have received a number of offers of help including several PM's and it is really appreciated that so many have put up their hands to assist.

Just to put everyone in the picture I have now placed and order for a commercial machine which seems to be the best way forward from business perspective.

In some respects I am a little disappointed that I will not be taking on an MM build but realistically I would never have had the capacity to take on such a large project everything else considered.

I have enjoyed reading the forum and am amazed at the complexity and time consuming nature of some of the projects you folk take on. I am wondering if you all have gardeners, cooks and cleaners in order to dedicate so much time to your hobby

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement and good luck to all for the future.
Old Tue 17 June 2014, 09:03
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Consider yourself welcome to keep coming back to both learn and contribute. Diversity of perspectives add to the tapestry of this community. ... Take care Iva.
Old Tue 17 June 2014, 10:11
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Well said, Jack!!
Old Tue 17 June 2014, 14:01
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plas4u View Post
I am wondering if you all have gardeners, cooks and cleaners in order to dedicate so much time to your hobby

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement and good luck to all for the future.

I can say with some certainty that most of use are just like the Energizer bunny, we just keep going and going until everything is done. As for the thank you, it is not needed but appreciated and well received. I wish you well in your travels and endeavors with you business and new machine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read