MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 09 June 2008, 03:44
tvdbon
Just call me: Tom

Vanderbijlpark
South Africa
Hello - Vanderbijlpark, S.Africa

Hi There,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm a programmer living in the Vaal Triangle in South Africa. I'm not very mechanical, but I did get bitten by the cnc bug when I discovered cnczone. I've built my first small cnc and while it's not pretty or perfect, it is fun. I'm still learning alot though. I'm planning on building a MM one day but for now I'll just read and learn. I find this forum amazing in terms of all the South Africans here. It's always been difficult to source parts in South Africa, but atleast now I know there are others who feel my pain. Anyways, just wanted to say hi

Cheers,
Tom
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 03:48
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Welcome to the forum Tom.
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 03:55
CabntMkr
Just call me: Peter

Brunswick (Maine)
United States of America
hi Tom,
I'm considering a small mdf cnc project before taking on the MechMate (which i WILL do). who's plans were you using for your build?
Peter
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 04:14
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Welcome Tom, I am sure you will enjoy yourself here and even though you have been bitten by the bug, membership here only makes the symptoms worse...
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 05:54
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hi Tom

Welcome, it won`t be long before you start ordering parts
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 06:49
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Tom,

Getting parts are really not THAT BAD. As a Telecomms / IT man myself, putting together a MM with all the help here is easy...go for it.
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 06:58
tvdbon

Vanderbijlpark
South Africa
Thanks for the welcome everybody. Now I really want to start building a MM, but I'll need to rob a bank first ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabntMkr View Post
hi Tom,
I'm considering a small mdf cnc project before taking on the MechMate (which i WILL do). who's plans were you using for your build?
Peter
I started with the rockcliff plans, but I then ran into some problems with getting some of the parts so I decided - screw this and I finished it the way I thought it should be. Doesn't cut perfect but not too bad either :

Photo

I'm also in the process of designing a little io board with an AVR to communicate to Mach3 via modbus. I want to use to bring out some of the functions for easier control of the cnc. Should work nicely

Last edited by tvdbon; Mon 09 June 2008 at 07:00.. Reason: spelling
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 07:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Rob a bank ? Not really...by doing it yourself, beg borrow steal...no that is bad....you can get a very professional machine for the amount you lay out.
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 11:18
tvdbon

Vanderbijlpark
South Africa
Well, I'll start reading the plans tonight and see what I can figure out. The thing is I don't want to build a massive one since I'm already running out of space in my garage. But I was thinking 1.5m by 1m. Does that still sound extreme ? Also, I'm not sure what tools you guys use for building this machine. All I pretty much have is a normal stick welder ...
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 11:24
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tom,
A stick welder will do just fine. As far as size, that is not that big of an issue. If your going to build that small, I would recommend making your y-axis (the gantry) the longer of the two and to a standard width. Thus, if want to expand in the future, the only change would be the base table. The easier part to build larger!

Sean
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 11:46
tvdbon

Vanderbijlpark
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Tom,
I would recommend making your y-axis (the gantry) the longer of the two and to a standard width. Thus, if want to expand in the future, the only change would be the base table. The easier part to build larger!
Sean
That actually sounds like a very cool idea. I'm busy printing out all the plans. I'll probably post some more questions after reading them ...
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 12:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Tom, full size plywood is 2.44m x 1.22m (sometimes 2.5m x 1.22)

Full size "Supawood" (MDF) is 2.75m x 1.83m

If you have a 1.4m gantry, it can span full width plywood, and half-length supawood. One day you can aim for a 2.75m long table, but a starter table at 1.22 meter lets you take half plywood sheets.

So, how about 1.22X and 1.40Y?
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 22:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Tools...well a drill press helps with all the holes if you go for a 'bolted' table. Then a hand drill, some taps, steel cutoff machine and small angle grinder. Compressor to get the blue paint on and some /////lot's of HANDCLEANER.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Mon 09 June 2008 at 22:34.. Reason: added....lot's of
Old Mon 09 June 2008, 23:43
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Don`t forget a extra pair of hands to help with the main beams and a "mik en druk " for all the photo`s .
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 00:18
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I am like that tough 'old' American that manhandled the main beams by himself...inc by inch in America and millimeter by millimeter in South Africa..
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 00:36
tvdbon

Vanderbijlpark
South Africa
OK, so I went through the plans and wow. The plans look very nicely done, but It's definitely going to take me a while to understand everything.

First off, some questions:

(1) It looks like I will need to have some parts lasercut. Does anybody recommend anybody in South Africa (preferably close to Vaal Triangle, Jo'Burg, Pretoria) who can cut those parts for me? If and when I do find a place do I just submit them the dxf files I found in the downloads?

(2) As for software I'm guessing the Mach3 setup that I'm using for my diy cnc will work perfectly ?

(3) What kind of routers do you guys use ? Or do you use decent high speed spindles ?

(4) More questions to come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Tools...well a drill press helps with all the holes if you go for a 'bolted' table. Then a hand drill, some taps, steel cutoff machine and small angle grinder. Compressor to get the blue paint on and some /////lot's of HANDCLEANER.
Tools List :
- Stick Welder - Check !
- Drill Press - uhm, I've got a mini desktop ryobi drill press - Check ?
- Hand Drill - Check
- Steel cutoff Machine - Check
- Small angle grinder - Check
- Taps - uhm, maybe a 5mm one, but this is easy enough to get
- Compressor - Would I have to spray it? Or can I paint it with brush ?
- Blue Paint - hmm, I was thinking of maybe making it green

Bolted ? You mean you don't necessarily have to weld it together ?
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 01:35
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Got my laser parts from Robert Miles at Metals Centre in JHB for a very good price...incl. bending. Robert should have the files that he used for my set. Just make sure about the steppers you intend using. I am having a new set cut right now to fit onto my straight steppers without gearboxes.

Painting...as you prefer. Maybe spraying looks a little better than a brush finish.

I opted for bolting it together....it's just TOO BIG to move otherwise for me.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 04:39
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Oh no Tom!. You are getting sucked in the same way as I did. I was going to start with a small one like you did, but .....I want the big one! Its only the bank manager that is still in the way.
While you are a little bit worried about the mechanical, I am getting brake marks in my underpants when I think of the electronics.
Luckly we are not alone. I hope.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read