MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 12 September 2010, 11:29
ahe_1990
Just call me: Adam

Birmingham
United Kingdom
2.2kw Spindle Problems "Error EOCA"

Hi all,

Can anyone help. Spindle was running fine, turned it off to swap the tool, try to fire it back up. Now making a pop/crack from the connection on top of the spindle. I am getting the error code "EOCA" from the inverter.

Inverter has been set back to factory specs and programed to advised specs from seller. Same set up as when it was working,

Checked the resistance between the three windings on the spindle and all reading 1.9Ohms Check the wires up to the spindle from the inverter nothing shorting no damage.

Spindle and inverter are both new and haven't even done a hours work.

The popping off the top of the spindle happens without me even pressing start on the inverter. Its happens as soon as the power is switched on to the inverter.

Could any suggest any other tests to confirm whats at fault?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks Adam

Last edited by ahe_1990; Sun 12 September 2010 at 11:35..
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 14:26
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Adam, that sounds like no fun at all. I'm kind of concerned about the popping as soon as it's turned on. That shouldn't happen at all. I assume you've checked your grounds?

I think I'd disconnect the VFD from the motor, power it on, and measure the outputs (which should be zero if you haven't started it up). You may also notice if you get a different error code. If you have voltage, then I'd declare the VFD broken and start talking to the seller.

However, the pop/crack from the spindle implies that there is a loose connection that is arcing. I'm having trouble reconciling this into a single theory. When you measured the resistance, did you do it with connection on top of the spindle disconnected? Maybe the loose connection or short is inside the connector that attaches to the spindle. So while you have the spindle disconnected from the VFD, I'd measure the resistance from the VFD end of the wires, and wiggle the connector on top of the spindle when you do it to see if anything varies
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 14:48
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
is it a water cooled spindle?
I believe that there have been some issues with the water jackets leaking and causing similar problems...
//chopper
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 15:35
ahe_1990

Birmingham
United Kingdom
Hi,

Brad,
Just been and checked what you suggest, check the resistance at the other end of the wire and it remains the same with wiggling the connector on top of the spindle. Have checked the outputs on the inverter and the is no voltage between any of the three phases if I connect a phase to earth momentarily it rises to 400v. I even tried disconnecting the one phase that appears to jump to earth and it still then makes a pop/crack on another wire/phase.

Chopper,
It’s a water cooled spindle. I am getting 2ohms approx between each phase and nothing between any phase and earth. Does 2 Ohmz sound about right?.

Its as if looking at the connector the current is jumping from the wire to the inside of the connector to earth. At this stage I haven't even press the "Run" button.

Thanks For Your Replies

Any more ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 21:15
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Poor connection can happen away from the installation too... Did you check your DB or main DB? I have a case with invertor showing Elu5 error massage after a current overload & found I had a bad connection on one incoming phase due to poor fuse contact in the main DB & a loose neutral contact at the local DB connector, took me a few days to find them but only minutes to fix...
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 22:11
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Adam,
your 2 ohms sounds about right,
although I am no expert on spindles, it seems that Ken may be on to something,
I currently do not run a spindle, but I have had issues arise with loose wires in the past, it may be a good idea to take the time to go over your box and check all your connections, and work your way towards the spindle, I would also check to make sure that the plug on the top of the spindle is making good contact on the pins, if this is where the noise is coming from it would be something to check,
//chopper
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 09:38
ahe_1990

Birmingham
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Update on the spindle and inverter problem, it now lives to fight another day, We cleaned the connector with thinners and put it back together and all seems to be going good, Only thing we can think is that dirt/oil/water maybe was causing the problem.

Thank you all for you help!!!

ADAM

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read