MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 17 October 2008, 07:15
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, the title of that web site is "English to African Dictionary" which is a huge mistake! The language is Afrikaans, not "African".
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 08:33
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Oops, it does translate a lot of the words seemingly correctly though. I wonder if they just messed up the title? What would the difference be for African and Afrikaans? Are they at all similar? This is more complicated than I thought. If you input some tough Afrikaans words does it give you the proper english equivalent?
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 09:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, the phrases you have produced up to now have been 100%, so I don't have to go and test it.

There is some political tension between African and Afrikaans. African is a word claimed by ethnic (black) Africans and often they don't accept Afrikaans-speakers as being African. (Curiously, Egyptians and other Arabic country folk are often also excluded from identifying as African - probably similar to Mexicans and Canadians not being considered as Americans). Afrikaans is mostly (but incorrectly) considered to be a white language spoken by pioneering settlers out here, and "Africans" rebelled against Afrikaans being taught to them. But there is a huge non-white group also with Afrikaans as its home language, even in our neighbouring country Namibia. Some Afrikaans speakers would vehemently deny that they are Africans, others would vehemently insist. Afrikaans is primarily a language, and also a definition of a culture to some extent. There is no language called African. The two words do not sit comfortably side-by-side and it is a big mistake to use them interchageably as that web site does.
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 09:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Some recommended reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaner

For people wanting to get a broad feeling of the politics out here, try reading The Covenant by James A Michener which is a fiction novel. Of course he builds more drama into the book than what we see in everyday life, but that is what sells books.
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 19:01
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Fascinating article Gerald. Something I found particularly interesting was the following quote:

"While some conservative trekker and frontier descended Afrikaners still cherish the nametag 'Boer', others view it as an obsolete and even pejorative term when used in an ethnic context.

Would you South African forum members agree with this statement? In south Louisiana, the term "coon ass" is like that. Friends can use that term but an outsider using it would be in trouble. "Redneck" is another one. Lots of people would probably consider me a redneck but I would only allow my buddies to call me that.
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 21:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes Doug, I broadly agree with the article and its observations. I am not a "pure" Afrikaner and have also been called a rooinek (redneck) by afrikaners because I have an English surname. But the meaning is totally different to yours - our rooinek goes back to the Anglo-Boer War, which today is called the South African War because of political correctness. Rooinek is a fairly harmless handle here today. There are a handful of names that are very contentious because of their ethnic connotations. The most well-known abroad is the "K....." word. The origin of that word is interesting - it was used/coined by the first slave traders in Africa, the Arabs who operated on the east side of the continent. Which sort of explains why Africans don't see Arab-Africans as Africans. It gets very complicated!
Old Sat 18 October 2008, 07:05
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Gerald, this is very interesting. I clicked on the "k" link and learned more. Rename this thread and keep it. I know that you have sparked a lot of interest in learning more about your bit of the world. That is good. Thanks.
Old Sat 18 October 2008, 16:35
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I agree with Marc. I've learned a lot about SA on this forum. Thanks. I'm coming over there for a visit one day.
Old Sat 18 October 2008, 21:59
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Have joined last few posts to an earlier thread.
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 00:14
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Doug when you come to visit I will have a room available in Brakpan to use as base when you want to explore the Johannesburg area. Now is this not called an incentive. We can talk Afrikaans all the time
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 00:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, I will be out your way next week, Tues to Thurs., can I come and visit?
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 00:57
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Sure how about supper one evening.
Supper and room. Your call

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sun 19 October 2008 at 01:05..
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 02:57
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Doug,
I would be one of those guys that they call a Boer. But still the matter is not a simple one as Gerald did mentioned. There is great conflict between the different thinking Afrikaners. You get those that are extremely right and then we can go across the scale to extremely left. I see myself somewhere in the middle. I am not overly conservative but very proud of my heritage. I am busy with some research on my ancestors and I found that from the early days they were very independent individuals. I think most South Africans are. Thats why we make such excellent Inventors. We are still like that today. To disagree with each other is a very common thing. I think it is because of all the different nationalities that have a part in our make up. Dutch, French, small part Irish, Scottish and local Koi, Hottentot (which a lot of snob Afrikaners doesn't want to know!). There is even eastern blood in some of us as well. (Slave women - early Cape)
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 03:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That last comment by Johan on eastern slave blood is something that foreigners find intriguing. Africa is well-known to have "exported" slaves....however, the Dutch in South Africa imported slaves to Africa. These were Malaysian/Indonese/Javanese artisans brought in as skilled labour. Today they are a significant community, particularly in the Cape Town area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Malays
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 13:00
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
I know I just said this but...

There are many, of which I am one, who love learning about other cultures, and points of view. It is way more fun to learn it directly from those people with another point of view than to simply read about it.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the time.
Old Sun 19 October 2008, 23:50
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus you need to start taking those bike spares off that worktable
Old Mon 20 October 2008, 02:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
You are so sharp Hennie, the problem is WHERE to put all the rubbish. Gerald will just have to take it as it is....LEKKER DEURMEKAAR.
Old Mon 20 October 2008, 02:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, I think Hennie was suggesting some space for me to sleep. Hey, you all know I prefer dirty tables to clean ones.
Old Mon 20 October 2008, 03:09
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Bull twang you cannot sleep on my MM, that space is reserved for when the BOSS throws me out of the house....Nice Hennie ...putting my guests up in the shed is no option, maybe in the Eastern Cape
Old Mon 20 October 2008, 07:57
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Come on make the Big boss feel at home with your MM.I didn`t know MechMates can build motor bikes .Maybe A Yamie but not a suzie
Gerald can pick Sedgefield or Plett.
Old Tue 21 October 2008, 17:59
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks Kobus. I'm broke right now but someday I hope to have enough cash to visit y'all. By then, you probably will have forgotten who I am.

Johan, I'm proud of my heritage also and have done some genealogy research over the past few years. The internet makes it much easier now.

To all of the SAers, thanks for teaching us about your culture.
Old Tue 21 October 2008, 23:47
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Doug, You must send me some of that internet references. I would like to know more about other peoples culture and history. Movies tends to distort everything.
Groete(Regards)
Old Wed 22 October 2008, 07:34
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
Gerald can pick Sedgefield or Plett.
Cannot for the life of me figure this one out.

Also stuggling with Bull Twang, but sorta got the gist of it I think, or maybe not.
Old Wed 22 October 2008, 07:47
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Heath

Sedgefield is a small holiday town also in the Garden Route and Plett is the holiday town where I work & live.If things go according to plan and we don`t drink ourselves to death because of this year that has gone past I will start building my second house in Sedgefield in January then when Gerald come to my side of the country He can stay there or he can stay in Plett.The condition is that if he comes he needs to bring his fishing rod with.
Gerald note that everybody that comes and visits that look older than me becomes my little ones ouma & oupa!
Old Wed 22 October 2008, 18:53
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Hey Gerald,

This photo came as one pic in an email to me today titled 8 amazing holes.
The caption read :
Apparently the largest ever hand-dug excavation in the world, this 1097 meter deep mine yielded over 3 tons of diamonds before being closed in 1914.

It looks incredible!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT4666384010.jpg (63.4 KB, 204 views)
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 05:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Dough,

The time to visit South Africa is NOW....with the exchange rate at the moment you can have a very nice holiday for very few dollars. Rate is around R 1.00 / $ 12.00
A pizza (medium) will set you back R 40.00...about $3.33 ??

On special I can get a Pizza for around R 26.00......NOW is the TIME

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Thu 23 October 2008 at 05:21..
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 05:19
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Inspection by the BOSS

Be aware you Mech Mate Builders Big Brother is Watching you and he intends inspecting each and every MM being build. The good news is he is light on drinks and did not eat much, but we had a nice chat during the BRAAI.

DSC00013.jpg
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 05:57
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Not much of a inspection! Everything is full of dust!
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 06:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Just the way the Boss likes it !
Old Thu 23 October 2008, 06:34
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
And some oil!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read