MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 17 August 2010, 06:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jimmy,
It's so great to see your machine up and cutting. I know how great that feels. It was a pleasure to have met you last year and trust your MM treats you well.

Congratulations.

Sean
Old Tue 17 August 2010, 19:13
fredjr
Just call me: jimmy #65

pensacola florida
United States of America
Thanks

Sean:

Thanks for your comment. It has really been a fun adventure, sometimes frustrating (mostly about my lack of knowledge). It has been, and will continue to be, a learning curve. Can't say enough about this forum and the people all over the world. It has really been a treat for me to meet you, Nils, Doug and Russell in person. I know that you and Nils have shown your MM to many people in person. I can count four that I have met in person. How many have other MM builders met face to face? Show of hands please

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old Wed 18 August 2010, 13:38
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I had a few come by and some already have a MM running and some are in the process. Others are still dreaming. Final count ??? can't remember, but more than 20 easily.

and I enjoyed every visit.
Old Wed 18 August 2010, 19:33
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
visitors

Kobus: That is really great. So far you are number one ambassabor. Jimmy
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 08:25
Admin
Just call me: Mike

Alabama
United States of America
Ok Jimmy with Danilo getting #64 your now in the light with you #65 !! Congrats also on your SN !!!!
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 15:08
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
All Right!!!! Jimmy makes #65...... congratulations on your number.
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 17:12
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Congrats on your number Jimmy.

Here is a video of Jimmys machine up and running. Took this when I was up there visiting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY67aEcnYY
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 19:31
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Jimmy!
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 20:43
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

Jimmy,

Congratulations on completing your MechMate and on earning Serial #65.

The Updated Builder's Log is here.

Please let me know the dimensions of your MechMate for the Builder's Log.

Also, please review your entry and let me know any changes you would like to make.
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 12:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I think I must start another MM...#69 is comming up for grabs soon.
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 23:56
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus don`t give your age away!
Old Tue 14 September 2010, 20:04
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

Jimmy,

Thanks for the dimension information.

The Updated Builder's Log is here.
Old Wed 15 September 2010, 14:34
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Jimmy lets see some photos of what you have been making lately. Did you ever get your mirror made?
Old Wed 15 September 2010, 19:15
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
projects

Russell, Good to hear from you. I have not advanced enough yet to try the mirror project. But I have drawn the ovals a lot on v- carve to see if I can do it. Sometimes yes , sometimes no but I"ll keep at it. My grandson had a school project that we did on the MM. I will post some pictures of that and the Alanta IWF show that Vonda and I went to last month. It was good to see the big boys chose some of the same programs that us MM duds already choose. Like Mach/Ecm , Vectric, up on their screen. It was really out of my league, but really good to be there. I did remake the dust foot . Moved it closer to the router. Had to put a 45 degree in the tubes to clear the z sensor. Works really well. I have made a couple of name plates for a friend's horse stable. Took more time to paint and sand them than to program and cut. No pictures of that. I need some more tutoring. When are you coming back? Thanks Jimmy
Old Thu 16 September 2010, 14:48
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Jimmy I might be your neighbor in a year or so. I am up for a transfere this year and Heather picked Mobile as #2 on the list. Where we are at now is number #1. She wants to commute into Pensacola so that she can keep her retirement fund going with the Florida School System. So you might never know

As a car guy I'm surprised that you just didn't use a HVLP gun and spray all the signs.

Looking forward to some pictures. Russell
Old Thu 16 September 2010, 19:28
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
Two Teachers

Russell:

That would really be great to have two teachers in the same area. My hope is for #2 to win out. The signs are too small to use the HVLP gun. The Kraylon rattle cans worked good. Just let the paint dry over night and run them through the planer. No sanding anymore. They are made out of pine and should look rustic. I had to ramake one of the signs because of misspelling (a family thing). I'll make some pictures of them and post this weekend. I'm really slow on writing and picture posting. How's your build coming?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old Thu 16 September 2010, 23:45
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jimmy

Lets see the work!!!!
Old Sat 18 September 2010, 07:20
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
In the sunshine

Mechmaters; I'm very happy to have the #65 machine. It seems like a long trip that went by fast. It is still a learing curve on the cad side of things. We went to the IWF show in Alanta Ga. this past month and saw some really big machines that were using the Mach3 / Emc and Vectric programs. Here are a couple of pictures from the event. One weekend my grandson came to me and said "grandpa I need your machine". He had a summer reading assignment and had to make a project from the story. Sarah's Key was the book. I showed him how to draw it in V-carve and the tool paths then deleted it and had him draw his own version. He made several drawings then decided on one. The only thing I did was change the cutter and turn the machine on. After they were cut he sanded , primed and painted them in a silver hammer tone color. Time with your grandson , priceless. Here are a couple more pictures of some name plates for a friend's horse stable and the start of a dust foot plate. Thanks Jimmy

Old Sat 18 September 2010, 08:45
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jimmy

That is great! He will be wanting to build a machine soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 05:00
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
projects done on the mechmate

Hello Mechmates, Just a few words and pictures of what the MM has been doing. The machine is working great and the owner is learing alot more about the programs.The pictures are a couple of table top mirrors that were cut on the MM that will lead up to a floor model. They are made of red oak. The larger one has a oiece of walnut at the base with my friends name and year made. Also a few pictures of our dust collector with the Phil Thiens seperator and Wynn air filter Works really well. The dut collector is only rated at about 600cfm so it does leave some dust on the table but not so much in the air. Also a picture of our vacuum at work that we modifed. Thanks Jimmy
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 05:13
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
sorry

[I[IMG]http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv80/fredjr45/100_2672.jpg[/IMG

MG]http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv80/fredjr45/100_2671.jpg[/IMG]
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 06:13
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Jimmy the projects are looking great. It looks like you are starting to get the hang of all the software.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 06:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nice mirrors
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 08:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
that is real clever using wire mesh drum to hold the bag! Gotta try that some day.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 08:18
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jimmy - looks like you have mastered many uses of the machine.
Nice shop fixtures.

Happy Holidays! I hope to stop in and see you and the shop next time I'm up in the panhandle.

Sean
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 09:43
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Super Nice project !! I can't wait to see a full size mirror !!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 15:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jimmy,

I like your mirrors - Nice.

I recognize that filter.....
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 16:48
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America

Hello Mechmates again.

Sorry about some of the misspelled words in the post #140. Some buttons got pushed before it was proof read (she was still sleeping).

Thanks for all your comments about my mirrors.

Ken - The use of the mesh ring was not my idea. I had seen it on another post.

Sean - You are welcomed any time you come to this area.

Thanks,

Jimmy (and the proof reader)
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 19:39
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I even like the racing fridge!
Old Sat 23 July 2011, 10:09
fredjr

pensacola florida
United States of America
Projects

Hello Mech Mate,

It has been a while since the last posts, but I have been using the MM and still learning my way around it. I have posted some of the things that I have made since the last entry. There are some pictures of hand held mirros made for my daughter in laws. A picture out of a magazine of the cheval mirror that I still want to make. A picture of the mirror that I made out of construction lumber just to see if I could make the cuts and join them together. One picutre of the major construction done. This is as far I will go with it. Now that I see that I can do it, I will get some nice wood and start again. I bought a copy of Vector Art 3D Dasch fun cuts program and made a few projects and painted them.

Now for my current project. I bought a Harbor Freight wood lathe (14" x 41") and have mounted it at the end of the MM between the last crossmember and the next one. Have made a cradle to lower the head stock center line to the table height. It will be done much like Kobus did his. Still want to have the AC motor and pullies for sanding. My concern is the DC motor and it will be belt driven. Probably will be 4 to 1 reduction. I have O.E. 7.2 motors on all of the other axis.

Do I need this motor also or use the direct drive motor? Have read much of Kobus' built and even thought about using an auto flex plate and starter pinion but not sure about a spinning 13" wheel at sanding speed.

Any thoughts and advice will be much needed and appreciated.

thanks,

Jimmy

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read