MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 12 August 2010, 10:45
miketeejay
Just call me: Mike

Piatra Neamt
Romania
Assistance needed moving from router to spindle

Hello Gerald (retired) (How did you manage that?)

Having taken your advice from my earliest tip toeing into CNC, going from the die grinder to the big Metabo, I am finally making some proper money and need to become much more productive, so I need to move to a spindle. Remembering your trepidation when you first took this step, any advice on how to make the first move? I recall you were happy with the price and performance of an Italian spindle. And what is a VDU?

I will come back later to discuss the prowess of a certain World cup cricket team.

Mike
Old Thu 12 August 2010, 11:30
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Rocking Horse Mike!
My "retired" moniker only applies to MechMate. The mission was accomplished and son is now setup to find his own destiny. This website has a new owner and I am taking a back seat over here.

Spindles are becoming more and more affordable now that we have managed to strip away all the mystique and romance associated with the word spindle - it's a simple AC motor with over-priced bearings.

A spindle isn't going to give a quantum leap in productivity. (one of son's machines still has the Metabo in regular service even though he has 2 spare spindles). But, noise is less, speed control is better and with the right set of collets you can clamp any diameter toolbit.

Today I rekon I would look to the East (Orient) for a first spindle, instead of Italy.

Cricket? At our age it should be croquet!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read