MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 23 March 2009, 10:29
Medemt
Just call me: Dan

Avon, IN
United States of America
Need to clear something up on Table size

This may seem elementary to most of you but I would like to clear something as I consider what size table I may want to build.

If I want to be able to to get to the outside edge of a 4' x 8' piece of foam or MDF board, is my Y & X values, to be used in the drawings, 1219mm (Y) & 2438mm (X), or do I have to add 50mm to each of these numbers for the two inches on either side? If my numbers are not even close please feel free to critique.

I am very new to CNC and I plan on starting with the kitchen table set up at the appropriate time, but I may want to get some metal work done since we have a full fabrication shop available.

This is a fantastic website and there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you in advance

Dan
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 11:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Dan,
The plans as drawn already accommodate the extra 2" buffer zone. Just follow the math x+/y+. You do not need to add more unless you choose to. The intention from Gerald's plans was for the table to use large shaping cutters if necessary and allow for this cutting area.
My own personal choice would have me rebuild my table to handle 5' x 12' MDF. I currently have a 5' x 10' table and wish I had that extra 2 feet lately!

Good luck.
Sean
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 13:47
Medemt

Avon, IN
United States of America
Sean,

Thanks for the response and for the insight. I was kind of thinking about up sizing a bit to a 5' x 10'. As I have read in other posts, the additional costs are certainly worth it - the only real issue is space availability.

As I asked in my first set of questions, what are the values for the X & Y for the 8' x 4' work piece (I'm assiming 8' x 5' table) and for the 5' x 10'. Do I simple take the 8' = 2438mm, 5'= 1524mm, and 10' = 3048mm, and plug them in to the X & Y measurements, or am I looking at this wrong somehow?

I appreciate your advise. I know this sounds like a trivial matter but I got a bit confused when I read the thread on table sizes.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 18:32
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding your question. Yes, your assumptions are correct. For example, a 4' x 8' (1220mm x 2440mm) Using 25.4mm = 1 inch
Old Mon 23 March 2009, 23:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
For 4' x 8' workpieces, take X=2440 and Y=1220. At the end of the build you will find that you can move an extra 2" in all directions.
Old Tue 24 March 2009, 06:22
Medemt

Avon, IN
United States of America
Sean,

No sorry necessary. You answered my questions - and then some. You gave me some things to think about as it applies to table size. I have done other projects and when I was done, regreted not going larger. I appreciate you taking the time to answer a question from a novice.

Gerald,
Thank you also. This is one of the best organized and informative websites I have ever seen. I have looked through this site for a long time before I really got the "bug" to want to enter into this endeavor. I take things like this seriously as this is truly an investment for me. I look forward to many more exchanges of information.

Thanks again guys,

Dan

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read