MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 31 March 2010, 04:59
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Welding has started !!!

Gave my cousins partner a hand to bring his 250amp Mig welder to my place this afternoon, boy does he make this welding stuff look easy, and I guess having some welding grunt certainly helps too.

We tacked all the foot plates on to the legs this afternoon and run a couple of full welds around the feet just to get our setup right.
We should be giving the table builds a good old nudge this coming Saturday, with all the prep work being already done, so we are hoping for some serious progress.
I will post some progress photos as it happens.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 06:52
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Tony, if your friend did full welds around the feet you are going to have your hands full holding him back from overwelding everything else!
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 07:58
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Must say Tony, your coming along nicely too !!
Good luck on your build
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 04:10
G30ff0
Just call me: Geoff

sydney new south wales
Australia
Hey Tony, nice work, just jumped onto the forum tonight, cold you pm me what supplier details you have? i am super keen to build a larger table myself down in sydney
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 04:30
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Now there are no looking back... Way to to Tony!
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 06:26
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Guys,

I will be happy if I can build ours to the high standards of workmanship that most of you have set trying my best !!
Thought I would post a couple of pics of the table legs / feet already to go for Saturday. Going to be a big day!! but really looking forward to it. Bring it On !!

Start your engines

Nice Legs !!

First full weld to one leg!! All under control Gerald

Old Thu 01 April 2010, 09:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tony, just as a guide, where a square box section joins to anything, only weld 2 of the 4 faces......that is enough for us.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 03:49
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks for your advice Gerald, we will be fully welding everything other than where we need to follow the strict welding paterns on the gantrys etc. As per your earlier advice we will be taking the welding all very slowly and only doing one side and then the opposite side and then moving between legs until they are all done.

Spent the whole day in the garage again today creating space and planning the build for both tables, I also had a look at the best way of clamping the legs to the beams to keep everything true and square.
I found that the flat side of the PFC's all have the slightest bow in them, so I have decided to work off the edge of the flanges which appear to be pretty good.
I clamp a piece of box section to the beam and then clamp the legs to that after using a builders square to keep things right. I then placed my rails in position which fitted perfectly. Once everything was in place I then checked the frame for square and all was absolutely spot on. Lets hope it all stays that way once we start to spot and then weld.

Here are a couple of photos of how I plan to set the frames up.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 04:05
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tony, if you full weld those 3 legs per beam (12 welds), my estimate is that you will bow that beam by at least 2-3mm. (The middle leg causing the most grief).
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 04:18
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Gerald,

would that still be the case even if everything (complete table) is all tacked in place first, including all the legs, lower rails and all table bracing as well as the Y axis PFC supports ?? before any full welds are done. when I say full welds I mean one side of each piece, then go to the furthest away one and do the same again until all are done. Will this still cause problems Gerald?
In which direction will it bow Gerald?

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 04:38
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Tony - clamp a straight piece of steel like so (a bit higher up actually !)
It might help hold everything together.

Regards
Ross
tonyweld1.jpg
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 08:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tony, your expericenced friend that is helping you with the welding will give you a very good idea of where it will bow. All that I am pointing out is that full welds, versus 50% welds, will take twice as long, cause double the distortion and give you zero improvement in the stiffness of the table.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 19:57
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ross, you don't need six leg, my table is 4.4m long & I only have 2 legs on each beam.
Sometime less is more.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 20:30
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Gidday Ken (and Tony)

The beam I proposed is just a temporary brace clamped up with F clamps and then removed after welding. Hope this is clear now.

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 21:08
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Very clear, actually I mix up tony & ross identity.... had one drink to many last night...
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 03:49
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Ross,

No probs Ross, I understood where you were coming from.
will post some photos later, I am very impressed with what we achieved today. Got heaps done, and no distortion.
We have checked the table for acuracy, straight, parallel, square in every which direction and to be honest I am over the moon with the acuracy we have achieved.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 05:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I am very happy that you got it right Tony!
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 06:53
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Todays Update.

Thanks Gerald,

We did take your advice, and our welder also said he was only going to weld either side of the legs to the main beams so all good
We did however fully weld all the other joints, other than under the long cut mitres which we could not get too.
We managed to get one table almost completely finished with the two side frames finished for the second table So probably another short day left to completely finish both tables

Anyway on with the obligatory photographs.

Welded all the foot plates first x 12

The master welder at work welding the inside seams at the end of the main X beams.

End of the beams all complete welded inside and out.

Setting up for the first of four of the main X axis side frames.

We then let the welder loose on the first of the main X axis side frames.

Here is how the joints / welds ended up, not much cleaning up too do

Two main X axis frames down!! bring it on!!

Now onto the first of the main X axis side frames for the second table.

With all the side frames done and finished we tried a different tact on how to weld the two side frames together trying to reduce the amount of turning of the table whilst maintaing accuracy of the table. It took a little time to get it the way we wanted it, but it paid off in the end

One happy chappie in the photograph being me, the other happy chappie being skippy taking the photograph, and one burnt out welder fellow standing out of sight. I think we might have worked him too hard

First table not quite finished but very close with the largest part of the second table done also which you can see standing up in the back of the garage. Another day should see them both done and dusted.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 08:54
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done it looks like a production run..
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 19:39
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
You are getting there, keep it up!
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 03:43
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

Done a little bit more today, setting up the main X rails on the PFC's to the first table. They are now all drilled and tapped as per the drawings and notes.
All worked out really well and was very easy to setup, and to get the rails in position tightning the appropriate bolts whilst using the blocks and string line method to straighten the rails.

X rail all drilled with the PFC drilled and tapped.

Block and string line setup worked well in straightening the rail with a friendly tap here and there and the tightning of the bolt to hold it in place.

all the bolts in place and one nice and straight X rail

I used this aluminium box section with a couple of small angles pop riveted to the underside at each end to maintain the set distance between my X axis rails, again all worked well.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 04:41
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony

I expected nothing less from you, very tidy job indeed and amazing speed of progress.

The smile on your face says it all, a happy bloke passing a significant mile stone.
Bet you slept well over the Easter break as a thousand squats are the best sleeping medication a man can get.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 10 April 2010, 06:44
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words Ross, and yes I did sleep well!!last weekend, and will probably sleep even better tonight when I eventually get to bed and not doing Mechmate stuff
We managed to completely finish the first table (Skippy's) today and started sussing out the Y gantry and the Y car parts, which I think we have now got our heads around
we also got all the welding done on my table today other than the Y support channels which will be done next weekend, along with the Y gantry's and hopefully the Y cars for both tables, then the real fun can start.

Skippys table all ready for the y gantry and car to be done now!!

My table all welded other than the Y support channels.

Not a lot of room left in my garage / workshop with two tables in it but enough room to get the job done!!

My MechMate coming into good use already at this early stage of the build

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 10 April 2010, 07:40
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
One ALL ROUNDER machine..
Old Sun 11 April 2010, 02:22
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Kobus the uses for MM is incredible!! I cannot wait!!
I had a bit of a rest day today as it was too hot working in the garage, I did manage to complete the table though, welding all the y axis support channels to the table, its amazing the difference it makes to the qaulity of ones welds having some welding grunt on tap
I guess I am getting to that stage of the builds where I need to get in the right mind set for the cutting and grinding of all the rails

Starting to get their now and I hope we can maintain a good steady build speed.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 11 April 2010, 04:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Enough of all the tables...Show us that cruiser...
Old Sun 11 April 2010, 09:13
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Tony,
I would suggest to look at Cam & G code at this stage, I regret not devoting enough effort in this depatment, I'm presently stuck with learning the soft ware... can't proceed to make anything useful now...
Old Sun 11 April 2010, 09:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Don't worry Ken...I had finished my MM and then only started to look for a suitable CAM program. Looked at many, but in the end Vectric Cut2D got me going in 5 minutes....it is really that easy to learn as this software follows a logical flow.
Old Sun 11 April 2010, 09:46
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
Tables look great! Aussies drink Corona?
Old Mon 12 April 2010, 02:59
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Kobus,

I will post a pic or two of the Cruiser when I get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Tony,
I would suggest to look at Cam & G code at this stage, I regret not devoting enough effort in this depatment, I'm presently stuck with learning the soft ware... can't proceed to make anything useful now...
Ken,

I have been slowly starting to read up on Cam software and G Code and slowly starting to get an understanding. I agree with Kobus though it appears the Vectric's software is the way to go

cncb,

In response to your question Aussies drinking Corona

I'm a Scossie and like lots of nice drinks!!

I supplied my local fastner place with a list for all our bolts, screws, nuts and bolts today, hopefully they should all be ready for pickup tomorrow

Cheers
Tony.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read