MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 30 May 2013, 19:49
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I hear ya. I still need the stepper for my indexing axis. Trying to sneak that one in somewhere.
Old Sat 01 June 2013, 11:07
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yesterday afternoon and some time this morning I cut the rails to height everything went well. I'll set up for the bevel and wait until I can get the additional time required. Snail's pace... I know.
Old Sat 01 June 2013, 14:22
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Can anyone tell me the tolerance range for the rail height? I've got the first one at .06mm total variance. Is that okay or should I keep trying to get closer?

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Sat 01 June 2013 at 14:23.. Reason: left out word
Old Sun 02 June 2013, 08:09
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Tom, 0.06mm is excellent!
Old Sun 02 June 2013, 10:43
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Gerald, I thought I should get it better when no one responded for a while, so, I went back to touch up and got it within .03mm. But that doesn't mean the next ones will be that close, that took a lot of time. I was only able to do that because I did the final passes at night (outside he shop), that way I could really see if material was coming off. Once the sparks were nearly nonexistent, Voila! I don't recommend doing the rough cuts in the dark (safety reasons) just maybe the final passes that don't require man-handling equipment.
Old Fri 07 June 2013, 05:10
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Hey Folks, does anyone have experience with Longs Motor 34HS5850 steppers http://www.longs-motor.com/productin...12_25_120.htmland their driver DM860A http://www.longs-motor.com/productin...12_80_137.html? These seem to be the same manufacturer of the some of the other Chinese companies. I got a very favorable price from them, enough of a difference to really consider starting with these.
Old Fri 07 June 2013, 07:22
pblackburn

United States of America
Sorry Tom, I have never used them. I have only used Oriental Motors and AMCI steppers and drives. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited by pblackburn; Fri 07 June 2013 at 07:25..
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 03:34
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
their model numbers 9840 and 9850 correspond to 9801 and 9802 models from other manufacturers we use.
Recently I got some ACT Motors 34HS9840 and they happily spin at 1000 rpm with 2M982 or DM860 style drives at 60V DC.
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 04:49
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Great, thanks Danilo, that info saves me a lot of dough.
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 07:55
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Tom,

There are a lot of good motors available. Personally, I would recommend the Oriental Motor PK296A2A-SG7.2 for a geared motor or the PK296-F4.5 for a motor that you would use with a belt drive. For direct use (non-geared), I would recommend the PK299-F4.5 motor. I would recommend the Geckodrive G201x or the G203v drivers.

Contact Mike (Metalhead) for his recommendations. I think that he has a kit that uses another motor that was thoroughly tested that is very similar to the PK299-F4.5 motor.

The problem with using other motors is that you, the designer, have to do all the testing to verify that those other motors and drivers will do the job. I enjoy doing that kind of test. In fact, I have a "test bench" all set up to do that very thing, but I doubt that most of you would want to spend $2,500 on a "test" setup just to check low cost motors. It kind of defeats the purpose.

I know that Oriental Motor products are more expensive than other options, especially in places where buying those motors requires that you buy them through a reseller. In that case, if I were to buy some other motor and driver, I would buy one motor and one driver and then do some testing on that motor and that driver. If it performs as expected, then I would buy the other motors and drivers (and at least one spare).
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 08:52
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Mike, I value your input and will take under advisement. I would prefer to purchase the pk299-f4.5 and the geckos (which I probably will in the end) but when the cost of the drivers and the motors are under $600 delivered I can't see not taking the risk. I know there are others using the same steppers and drivers with little know problems. Worse case scenario I waste some time and I learn about what not to use and purchase the geckos and OM's anyway, that I don't mind so much.
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 10:14
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom, unless you are using a direct drive to pinion the 299 would work but is not needed unless your working torque load is really high. The recommend power supply if memory serves me correctly is 50VDC using Mariss's formula Vmax=32*√L. Most here recommend a little higher than what the formula calculates out. Here is a post that Heath showed me.

I used the PK296A2A-SG7.2 (motors) and the PK296-F4.5A originally on a 35VDC power supply. The functioned well but recently I upgraded to a 56VDC power supply and they do run better. The A2A are wired half coil and the F4.5A is parallel. The both have identical ratings so the Vmax calculation was 39VDC. With the 299 and a Vmax of 50.6 you would be at 60VDC for a power supply.

I hope it helps you out in some way.
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 11:31
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, you are correct about the PS voltages. I think what I'll do is direct drive to cut the belt drive plates then switch to belt reduction. Based on the formula you mention the 34hs5850 require 72vdc but I think I'm going to 70vdc which falls within the mfg drive specs as well. I've ordered just about everything except wire at this point and maybe a few odds and ends.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 05:42
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Does the single core processor PC still apply? I didn't see anything in the forum that says any different but wanted input/anyone's 2 cents worth. I got a few old pc's laying around and wanted to open them up to see whats in them.

Update: working out a schematic layout so I have a layout reference for table top testing, working out proxy setup and push buttons, received PS, PDMX-126, estops, proxies, most junk in control box (and maybe too much) motors and drives will be here Tuesday, ferrules and wire from Mike today. Haven't flipped the machine right side up yet (waiting for available time and assistance). Still need to grind 45's on rails, been reading mach3 and pmdx-126 manuals repeatedly (lots to absorb, the schematic will give better overall sense), z plate at the machinist's, still need to weld-up the gantry (going to wait to verify measurements when more together).

Pete, Thanks for your assistance.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 06:18
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Almost any computer will do if you don't use large toolpath preview
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 06:22
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Should I not view it at all or only during certain functions/activities?
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 06:37
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Pc is the least problem. Even a Pentium2 has more computing power for Mach3. The current issue is having overly powerful pc not the other way round. Relax mate
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 07:22
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
So you're saying the PC is not the problem and mach 3 is, at least in part, the problem...great I'll find the best pc of the bunch and use it.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 09:45
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
I have a little experience with this. The current CPU of my computer is 3GHz Xeon. It does not like a large toolpath so I have to shut it off. It's brother computer was the first one I tried and Mach hated it. Caused jittery motion of the steppers because the pulse rate was crap. I have read enough to know it is more than just horsepower of the CPU. It is a combination of the CPU, GPU and the motherboard. If you are using parallel ports it can add another complexity to the process. I would say that your chance of picking a computer that will run Mach3 fine is in the greater than 95% range. Mach3 does have some downfalls but it is a great piece of software. We (hobbists) find them more because we are trying to push the envelope on cost and sustainability. An OEM puts a lot of time into finding a setup and design that is almost bulletproof. Their reputation relies on it. Therefore every piece is designed to work seamlessly together to give the end user a great experience. That is why proprietary parts cost so much more. Mach 4 hobby looks to be solid replacement but only time will tell. In all of posts I read I have people I have seen people using 733Hz PCs and Mach runs fine on them. It is more than muscle. Most likely you will be just fine.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 09:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I know my buddy Greg (bradyaero) in Smiths Falls, had a similar issue and solved it by just upgrading the video card to something with a better GPU. But like Pete said, the combination is the key.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 10:08
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks fellas. First thing first, put it together then find the bugs.
Old Fri 05 July 2013, 10:30
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
With original mach screen the toolpath is rather small and does not affect performance as Mach2010 screenset which some of us use.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 03:31
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well dug through the pile of old PC's and found nothing that will work, will have to outsource the PC. On a more positive note, the steppers and drivers I ordered are finally here.

When building my kitchen table project, any suggestions where to start?
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 05:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
one motor, one drive, power supply, breakout board on a rough piece of ply with crude wires . . . . give yourself the confidence that you can create motion.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 05:03
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Minimal table project

Tom,

It depends. If you are relatively confident in your electrical skills and you have new or "tested" parts, the only items you need to checkout in the kitchen table project are: motors, drivers, bob, power supplies and a PC. The other items in the control box can be checked out after final assembly. Temporarily wiring the motors, drivers(with resisters), bob, power supplies and a PC together will allow you to "spin" the motors using, say MACH3 and verify that your system will move the motors. It's a good idea to put a piece of light colored (coloured) tape on the shaft of the motors so that you can see them spin. This will not test the motors under load. To test the motors under load, I simply held the shaft of a motor between my "gloved" thumb and forefinger while securing the body of the motor, to simulate a load. I setup a repetitive routine in MACH3 to spin the motors continuously. I tried "slow", "medium" and "fast" speeds for each motor. My motors were used, so I spent extra time in checking them out.

Of course, I bow to others with greater experience who may differ with my opinion.

Let us know what you do and how it comes out. This will be helpful to others who are at a similar stage of their build.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 06:33
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
The 1st thing I did when I started my Kitchen Table Project was finding a flat horizontal surface which were not clutter by stuff....
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 14:21
pblackburn

United States of America
I did not do that part of the build as I just assembled and tested everything with the pinions not engaged in the rack. Like John stated it really depends on your comfort level.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 19:04
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
If you're running a "standard" configuration then download and install the configuration from Mach3. Then it's just wire things together, apply power and follow the steps in the Mach3 and BOB manuals. Worked to get my ply / spaghetti wiring kitchen table project running immediately on power up.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 19:54
pblackburn

United States of America
I will try to stress reading the MachMill Install and Config Guide thoroughly. It cannot be read enough. I lot of good information there.
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 20:16
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I don't have a working PC yet(for the most part), so, based on the manual for the bob (pmdx 126) I can run the on-board test just to see if the steppers operate.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read