MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > CNC motion control software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 03 July 2008, 23:12
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Things that I am learning....

I tried to cut a pocket on a slab of wood. Set up a nice rectangle, told it to cut it out 2 mm deep. Started up and WHAT !!...this thing did not cut on my lines. CAM show rectangle, Mach show rectangle, but on MACH the actual cut is more like an old propeller...see the photo. After supper went back to tame the beast and realised that my acceleration and velocity settings could be wrong. When jogging from the keyboard this thing would take off build up some speed...when you let the arrow on the keyboard go it took time for the mass to come to a standstill, and this is what was wrong. I adjusted the acc. and velocity setup's and now I get a perfect rectangle.
Other people with non gearbox steppers ....what are your setting on the acceleration and velocity ?

Old Fri 04 July 2008, 00:33
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Inch and millimeter people will have completely different settings . . . .

Our two machines are set millimeters, both are direct drive. The X,Y axis settings are:

Steps per mm: 26.526
Velocity mm/min: 9000
Accel. mm/sec/sec: 500
Old Fri 04 July 2008, 01:30
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Would everyone else also share their settings please?
(Don't worry about your gear ratios and pinion teeth - that can be deduced from the settings)
Old Fri 04 July 2008, 05:01
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
My machine is running a 3 to 1 trans with a 20 pinion on all 3 axis.

X = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 1375.2 (for whatever reason Mach adds the .2)
Accel. in/sec/sec: 30

Y = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 1375.2

Z = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 199.98
Accel. in/sec/sec: 20
Old Fri 04 July 2008, 05:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks JR. Any chance of remembering the XY Accels when you had it direct-driven? My guess is around 20 . . . . . which would be equivalent of the metric 500, like ours. A car can accelerate faster in 1st gear (reduction) compared to top gear (direct drive)
Old Fri 04 July 2008, 11:22
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
My X, Y, and Z settings are all the same.

Steps per inch - 3056

Velocity (Inches per Minute) - 500

Acceleration - 25

John
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 00:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Any more people that can share their settings?
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 06:32
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
X,Y settings
Steps/mm - 125
Velocity/mm/min. - 3000
Acceleration - 500
Z setting
Steps/mm - 125
Velocity/mm/min. - 500
Acceleration - 20

I am still experimenting with optimum velocity and acceleratin.
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 07:18
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I'm sorry that I missed this post back in July. Here is my info. I added the number of Gs for my X Axis so that builders using the metric system can play with their settings to duplicate my acceleration rather than doing alot of math.

Motor gearbox: 7.2
Pinion: 35 tooth

X Axis
Steps per inch: 2619.2
Velocity in/min: 1030.8
Acceleration in/sec/sec: 25
Gs: .06475

Y Axis
Same as X Axis

Z Axis
Same as X and Y Axes except acceleration reduced to 10.
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 09:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
This thread needs a good bump! Lots more machines have been built and there must be a lot more tuning experience out there . . . . . .

Give us your settings please
Old Tue 10 November 2009, 09:45
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Hatcher View Post
My machine is running a 3 to 1 trans with a 20 pinion on all 3 axis.

X = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 1375.2 (for whatever reason Mach adds the .2)

Y = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 1375.2

Z = Steps per in: 1909
Velocity in/min: 199.98
Accel. in/sec/sec: 20
J.R.

A couple of questions about your settings.

I too have a 3:1 reduction, and my steps per inch are 1909.

You must have your kernel setting at 45,000 to get 1375 velocity, is that right?

Mine is set at 25,000 and I can only get to about 780 as I remember. It doesn't matter as I have my vel. set to 500.

Your accel. is set to 30, do you have any trouble with belts or shudder? Have you ever broken a belt?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble with square outside corners.
I'm using cut2d for a cam, but that is not the problem and there is a quite lengthy thread in the Mach forum about the corner issue. It seems that it's a setting problem in Mach3.
I'm just getting started to get into the cv part of Mach3.

Do you have any problems with outside corners not being sharp?

When I cut, for instance, an 8" square, the only corner that is sharp is the one at the starting point. I think that is because how I drew the square in the cad program and cut2d cuts the vector as it was drawn, I'm going to try some different things in cad today and see if I can get all the corners the same, at least that would be better than one corner being sharp and the others rounded.

Dave
Old Thu 12 November 2009, 07:53
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Quote is in red. Response is in black.

J.R.

A couple of questions about your settings.

I too have a 3:1 reduction, and my steps per inch are 1909.

You must have your kernel setting at 45,000 to get 1375 velocity, is that right? That is correct.

Mine is set at 25,000 and I can only get to about 780 as I remember. It doesn't matter as I have my vel. set to 500.

Your accel. is set to 30, do you have any trouble with belts or shudder? Have you ever broken a belt? I have slowed it down a little (too jerky), I have never broken a belt.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble with square outside corners.
I'm using cut2d for a cam, but that is not the problem and there is a quite lengthy thread in the Mach forum about the corner issue. It seems that it's a setting problem in Mach3.
I'm just getting started to get into the cv part of Mach3.

Do you have any problems with outside corners not being sharp? Yes I did, so I turned cv off and the problem went away. I understand this is a problem in mach3???

When I cut, for instance, an 8" square, the only corner that is sharp is the one at the starting point. I think that is because how I drew the square in the cad program and cut2d cuts the vector as it was drawn, I'm going to try some different things in cad today and see if I can get all the corners the same, at least that would be better than one corner being sharp and the others rounded.

Dave
Old Thu 12 November 2009, 08:21
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Thanks

I tried changing the settings on the settings page and didn't make much difference.I'll go to the config page and turn off cv.

Dave
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 05:43
Barman
Just call me: Bart #36

antwerpen
Belgium
He ,

I'm using the geared motors of Vexta SG 7.2 .

My settings are :

X - A - Y :

Step per : 127,324
Velocity : 9000 mm/min
Acceleration : 500 mm /sec ˛

Z :

Step per : 127,324
Velocity : 6000 mm/min
Acceleration : 500 mm /sec ˛

My acceleration was 1300 mm/sec˛ , but I decreased it this week to 500 mm/sec˛
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 06:18
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
For those that had problems with cutting corners in CV mode. When you use CV mode, you have to set the CV Controls which are located on the configuration page. If you set the "Stop CV on Angles > " Mach will go back to stop mode for the angles greater than what you set that value. I have mine set a 40 which means it will use stop for 45 degree angles also.

I also have "CV Dist Tolerance" set to 50 Units and I have checked "G100 ...".

Would some one that has not success with CV try those setting or tell me that you had them and it did not work.

Thanks
Old Thu 02 April 2015, 04:17
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I would like to Bump this thread, and get some more people to post their settings ( either metric or imperial.)

I am experimenting with my settings (though not in Mach3 but in EdingCNC )

I am currently at:

Velocity 400 mm/sec
Acceleration 1200 mm/sec/sec

86HS9801 motors @ 4:1 reduction

I am running a test file over and over for some hours now, while slowly increasing my values and the machine seems to be doing fine @ these vlaues.
But I actually have no idea if I am too high for comfort or maybe too (s)low with these settings compared to others.

Besides Gerald, there are a bunch of you guys running the MM for quite some time now, in day to day working conditions .... care to chip in with your Vel and Accel values ?

Last edited by Fox; Thu 02 April 2015 at 04:19..
Old Thu 02 April 2015, 13:04
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Velocity 18000 mm/min (300mm/sec) this is only for G0 feedrate so only defines the maximum allowed feedrate, don't think anyone cuts on mechmate above 10000mm/min
I was able to jog at 43.000mm/min or 1700 ipm

Accell 600

1200 is pretty high for accell, on some really rough paths (lots of corners or sharp point) machine may exhibit some jerk depending on the stiffness or lose steps.

Using external motion control like EdingCNC allows for higher figures because of uninterruptible pulse train which in turn gets the max out of drive and motor combo.
Old Fri 03 April 2015, 01:31
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Thanks danilo for your insights! I might go a little more conservative then with a 300-900 first, and see how that behaves in real life. With Eding ethernet I am indeed not too worried on the pulsetrain/software side, it's more what the machine construction allows for as this is besides the z fairly standard in terms of setup and I want to find a good starting point to run it reliable.
Old Tue 02 June 2015, 13:34
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Another bump, cause I am still playing, and others might see fit to share as well.

I have reduced my settings, the machine had no problems at all with previous ... but I was thinking it does not need to be revved to the max, so looking on the internet, here, listening to the machine and asking around has given met these current settings. Which are still by no means more then an educated guess, well within what it's capable of

X,Y:
Velocity 300 mm/sec
Acceleration 600 mm/sec/sec

Also I reduced the Z (previous all were the same) cause I could jog into the table reaaaaaaaly quick ;-)
I might increase Z again when I am going to experiment with 3d, I believe the same settings on all axis helps with that kind of work ?

Z:
Velocity 100 mm/sec
Acceleration 400 mm/sec/sec

Last edited by Fox; Tue 02 June 2015 at 13:38..
Old Sun 15 May 2016, 10:04
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
My settings with 7.2 geared motors and 36 teeth pinions have always been:
velocity 16000 mm/min
Acceleration 500mm/sec2

I have tested with the new UC400eth ethernet controller a speed of 30000m/min .... but I think I want go over 20000 in everiday use.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read